Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-15-2011, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
I have been watching this machine for a couple months now. He started out asking $450, but is coming down. Those Adlers are suppose to be really great machines. I like the looks of this machine - I bet it has a reverse! But, look how cool it looks! It reminds me of my Wheeler & Wilson's, but more elaborate!

Why don't one of you make the guy an offer! I'd go for it if I hadn't of gotten the Hitachi! I still might!

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/atq/2538070755.html

Nancy
That's a nice machine!! I have my DH's mom's Adler in a cabinet from 1957...we had it adjusted, but it keeps doing weird things. So right now not using it. Might set it up again one of these days and go through it. It's a TON!! Solid iron.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by annthreecats
I read that anything over 50 years old is vintage.
I would stand on that definition, too! Antique is 100+ years, vintage is 50-99 years.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by annthreecats
I read that anything over 50 years old is vintage.
OMG I'm vintage :roll:
Miriam! Shhhhhhh!!! Maybe they won't notice us!! ;)
Hahaha!!! There's a bunch of us "vintage folks" here!! :-) Glad to know I'm in good company!! :-)
Old 08-15-2011, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by jljack
I have been watching this machine for a couple months now. He started out asking $450, but is coming down. Those Adlers are suppose to be really great machines. I like the looks of this machine - I bet it has a reverse! But, look how cool it looks! It reminds me of my Wheeler & Wilson's, but more elaborate!

Why don't one of you make the guy an offer! I'd go for it if I hadn't of gotten the Hitachi! I still might!

Nancy
That's a nice machine!! I have my DH's mom's Adler in a cabinet from 1957...we had it adjusted, but it keeps doing weird things. So right now not using it. Might set it up again one of these days and go through it. It's a TON!! Solid iron.
Maybe it's haunted! Just kidding, but some of these old machines seem to have a mind of their own.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
I purchased a "new" Brother 220 Super Streamliner sewing machine. I fell in love with the color. It looks pinkish in the picture but is really a nice shade of lilac.

I have a question about lubricating the motor and thought that someone might be familiar with this type of motor. The manual that came with it really doesn't give much information.

All it says (and no picture to illustrate it) is:

One drop of oil in the motor bearings every six months is sufficient to enable your motor to last many years. Oil holes are located at both ends of the motor. We suggest a heavier oil (such as SAE-20 grade).

Here is a close up of the end of the motor. Would the oil hole be the little one on top of the "bump" in the center or would it be that 2 holes on either side of the "bump"

Isn't SAE-20 grade oil the kind that is used in cars :shock:
Cathy, is that the same machine that came twisted in the case? It's really neat!!
Old 08-15-2011, 01:47 PM

I posted an ISO for a White T-shirt plate in the classifieds.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
Jljack

Thanks, Monica. I actually have been "dry running" the treadling, and I don't have a problem getting a rhythm. The machine turns very freely now, but still not making a stitch. I haven't turned it over to watch the hook move. I'm in the middle of making a big quilt that I want to get finished this week. Hope next weekend I'll be able to spend some time with "Harriet" and get her stitching!! :-) If not, I'll bring her to the TOGA to see if anyone can get her going.
Hi,
I'm wondering if you have the needle in correctly? The flat side goes in facing to the right and threads from left to right(outside to inside).
Sharon W.
Thanks for that info, Sharon. I'll check that tonite when I get home...I very well may have it in wrong! I know I have it threaded correctly...left to right. I'll let you know!!
Old 08-15-2011, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by emmah

Nancy
Maybe it's haunted! Just kidding, but some of these old machines seem to have a mind of their own.
Yep....I really hope we can get it going well...it's really a sentimental issue with my DH...I'm sure he would love to sew on it since his mom used it for years. He's a big sentimental softie...maybe it'll be the push to get him working on vintage machines. :!: :idea: Yes....that's the ticket!!! :-)
Old 08-15-2011, 02:01 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JaneK
Originally Posted by miriam
Is that one of the wooden straight leg treadles that were just discussed on this board? Looks like it should be, but I'm not positive as I've never seen them.
Must have sold it...it's gone now.
yeah, I was bummed out - good deal a Free for $20 including manual - wood leg treadle - attachments...
Old 08-15-2011, 02:06 PM

Anyone know where I can get free down load of a manual for a Kenmore 117.591