Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-15-2011, 02:10 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jljack
Originally Posted by emmah
Originally Posted by BoJangles
I have been watching this machine for a couple months now. He started out asking $450, but is coming down. Those Adlers are suppose to be really great machines. I like the looks of this machine - I bet it has a reverse! But, look how cool it looks! It reminds me of my Wheeler & Wilson's, but more elaborate!

Why don't one of you make the guy an offer! I'd go for it if I hadn't of gotten the Hitachi! I still might!

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/atq/2538070755.html

Nancy
That's a nice machine!! I have my DH's mom's Adler in a cabinet from 1957...we had it adjusted, but it keeps doing weird things. So right now not using it. Might set it up again one of these days and go through it. It's a TON!! Solid iron.
Maybe it's haunted! Just kidding, but some of these old machines seem to have a mind of their own.
Yep....I really hope we can get it going well...it's really a sentimental issue with my DH...I'm sure he would love to sew on it since his mom used it for years. He's a big sentimental softie...maybe it'll be the push to get him working on vintage machines. :!: :idea: Yes....that's the ticket!!! :-)
My hubby is hooked! He will help me with stuff that is too tough for me to unscrew - he hauls heavy stuff and he helps me find places to put it! He would love it if I got the 401G treadling so he can test it out too. He is very supportive. He is impressed that I can take an old stuck up junk machine and make it work with a minimum of his help. He also cleans motors real nice and he can rewire. I now have a shop - I just have to have time and feel good... I broke out again a couple days ago. It's been about 6 weeks of misery and I have had a heavy load for work lately...
Old 08-15-2011, 02:20 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuilterGary
Anyone know where I can get free down load of a manual for a Kenmore 117.591
http://www.sewusa.com/Threading_Diag...ng_diagram.htm
Old 08-15-2011, 02:38 PM

I was given a Pfaff 30. It looks pretty rough. There is no cabinet or case, just the sewing machine. The cord is original and has been repaired by duct tape. I'm afraid to plug it in to see if it works. The person who gave it to me told me his aunt sewed on it up until she died two years ago.

My question is: Is it worth getting fixed or should I just sell it as is? I probably do not want to spend more than $250 since I just bought a new machine.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-242373.jpe   attachment-242374.jpe  
Old 08-15-2011, 02:42 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Cheri_J
I was given a Pfaff 30. It looks pretty rough. There is no cabinet or case, just the sewing machine. The cord is original and has been repaired by duct tape. I'm afraid to plug it in to see if it works. The person who gave it to me told me his aunt sewed on it up until she died two years ago.

My question is: Is it worth getting fixed or should I just sell it as is? I probably do not want to spend more than $250 since I just bought a new machine.
should be a well made machine - put her through the spa treatment then treadle or hc unless you want to do some re-wiring - does she back stitch?
Old 08-15-2011, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Cheri_J

Those 130s are total work horses. Perhaps you would really enjoy using it.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:55 PM

I've heard great things about 130's but this is a 30...I don't know anything about this model.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:10 PM

miriam I broke out again a couple days ago. It's been about 6 weeks of misery and I have had a heavy load for work lately...[/quote]

Miriam, you really need to go to the doctor's and get a shot to get yourself over that nasty stuff. Are there allergy shots for poison ivy? When hubby would get poison oak he would pour bleach on it. The bleach dried it up. Kathie
Old 08-15-2011, 03:17 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
miriam I broke out again a couple days ago. It's been about 6 weeks of misery and I have had a heavy load for work lately...

Miriam, you really need to go to the doctor's and get a shot to get yourself over that nasty stuff. Are there there allergy shots for poison ivy. When hubby would get poinson oak he would pour bleach on it. Kathie[/quote]

I have been scrubbing with Zanfel and it seems to be doing better than the last time - it's just frustrating.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by annthreecats
I read that anything over 50 years old is vintage.
I would stand on that definition, too! Antique is 100+ years, vintage is 50-99 years.
This has been my understanding, at least as far as sewing machines go.

Now, as far as I am concerned... sometimes I feel antique just rolling out of bed in the middle of the night! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 08-15-2011, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Candace
I've heard great things about 130's but this is a 30...I don't know anything about this model.
It is just an older model. There is a yahoo group for Pfaffs. Lots of information there.
Tommie