Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-24-2011, 01:58 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Hum, Just one sewing machine?!

My Singer 201 in treadle - parts are easy to find, it sews a beautiful stitch top and bottom, the quietest machine I have ever sewn with, treadles quiet too, can quilt with it, piece with it, sew clothes, and I love the classic look of it.

Now if you ask because you are looking for just one machine, I say go for a Singer 401(e-machine) if you don't wish to treadle a machine. It's a nice machine with a pretty stitch ( almost equal to the 201's stitch) that also does some cute decorative stitching. I prefer treadles, but I do like my Singer 401.

But I plan on keeping all my machines, like forever. :)
I had a 201-2 which I liked but kept the 403 with all the disks - I liked it best. You can see what you are doing and you can clean it out. My Elna does stitches the 403 won't ever do but it you have to really keep those clean because of the plastic gears and it isn't easy. I won't part with my industrial walking foot - it does things your 201 just won't touch. I'd like to see a Davis with the needle feed. I bet I would like that.
Old 08-24-2011, 03:41 AM

That's an unfair question - how do you decide between any of your kids!!! Given the fact that I would HAVE to decide though, I would choose my 1957 Challenge (she's one of those Japan made clones) mainly because I did just fine with her for 53 years (until the VSM bug bit) It would hurt my heart to have to give up my treadles but I COULD do it if I tried really hard. Don't even want to think about it .................
Old 08-24-2011, 05:17 AM

Can I have two? My Elna has been mine since 1973 and sews a stitch like no other I've seen, plus it's a ZZ with cams. But Miss Elna can't quilt, so AnnieRose, the 301, would have to stay for her superb quilting abilities. Prior to last August, I could have said just the Elna, but I've bitten by the quilting since I forced to retire for health reasons. What a quandary! I'm glad it's theoretical.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:36 AM

[quote=Miz Johnny]Here it is on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-Singer-S...item23134a2e92

Hope springs eternal. . . .

Man that original price is even funnier
:lol: :lol:

I know not every one can find them for free or $30, but this is just down right silly....a reasonable profit is ok but this....
Old 08-24-2011, 05:59 AM

[quote=greenini]
Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Here it is on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-Singer-S...item23134a2e92

Hope springs eternal. . . .

Man that original price is even funnier
:lol: :lol:

I know not every one can find them for free or $30, but this is just down right silly....a reasonable profit is ok but this....
I got mine for $25 with all the attachments and the cabinet for $7.50. Wonder where that person got that one!

I found this one listing while looking through Singers and I thought the description was amusing:

"SINGER Featherweight 99k HEAVY DUTY SEWING MACHINE"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/260826069000?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_5784wt_875

I want to know how they tested this sewing machine and it works well, but does not have a belt. Oh and the light doesn't turn on - and it's missing a needle. They have a couple other machines listed too, saying 'works as they should,' but looking at the description on this one would you think they know about sewing machines?
Does anyone else check the sellers other listings when you look at items? I do sometimes to see if there is anything else I might want to buy (or if they just got the item from an estate sale or something)- this time I was just curious to see if they sold sewing machines normally.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Hum, Just one sewing machine?!

My Singer 201 in treadle - parts are easy to find, it sews a beautiful stitch top and bottom, the quietest machine I have ever sewn with, treadles quiet too, can quilt with it, piece with it, sew clothes, and I love the classic look of it.

Now if you ask because you are looking for just one machine, I say go for a Singer 401(e-machine) if you don't wish to treadle a machine. It's a nice machine with a pretty stitch ( almost equal to the 201's stitch) that also does some cute decorative stitching. I prefer treadles, but I do like my Singer 401.

But I plan on keeping all my machines, like forever. :)
Thanks for picking your favorite and the advise. I'll keep an eye out for the 201. I haven't seen many treadles here in MT but I'm sure I just haven't found the right spot yet.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
I went over to a friends house and she showed me her pre 1900 White Treadle. The hand wheel turned freely and the irons moved easily. Her needle bar did not move. Any idea on what the problem could be or how to fix it. Kathie
Was the belt missing or very loose?
Old 08-24-2011, 06:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Candace
Originally Posted by Kathie S.
I went over to a friends house and she showed me her pre 1900 White Treadle. The hand wheel turned freely and the irons moved easily. Her needle bar did not move. Any idea on what the problem could be or how to fix it. Kathie
Was the belt missing or very loose?
Sounds like the wheel is disengaged to wind the bobbin.

Billy
Old 08-24-2011, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
Originally Posted by tomilu
Originally Posted by grannysewer
This is my latest pretty. A friend gave her to me since she needed the space.
Nice Rocketeer!!
Yes, a beauty!
Thanks, she said she used it maybe 6 times at the most and it looks it. It sews wonderfully.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:08 AM

Was the belt missing or very loose?[/quote]

The belt was there and it did not seem to be loose. Kathie