Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 09-17-2011, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by grayhare
Originally Posted by melinda1962
I just thought this was so cute, just something about it, and the color! http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-DRES...item336bf6263a
Wow I have the twin to it. It is a very nice 15 clone. The cabinet is cool too. Mine came in a carrying case, at a consignment store for $5, since it was 80 percent off day.
I like your twin! It would be nice to have a room full of 15 clones.

:D
LOL I just fell off the sewing machine diet wagon this morning, and bought another one....black Montgomery Ward 15 clone, ugly case, but shiny, black, and chrome for $10. I love the 50's e-machines and yard sales.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:39 PM

I too just ordered feet from sew-classics.com for my 301 and I know that she had feet for 401's too and reasonably priced with low shipping fees. I can't wait to try them. Thanks Miriam for the heads up! I ordered both hopping feet and I will try the more expensive one first!
Old 09-17-2011, 01:42 PM

I just thought this was so cute, just something about it, and the color! http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-DRES...item336bf6263a
Wow I have the twin to it. It is a very nice 15 clone. The cabinet is cool too. Mine came in a carrying case, at a consignment store for $5, since it was 80 percent off day.

LOL I just fell off the sewing machine diet wagon this morning, and bought another one....black Montgomery Ward 15 clone, ugly case, but shiny, black, and chrome for $10. I love the 50's e-machines and yard sales.
Would love to see a picture of it.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Just for the record, if you have a hopping quilting foot(if that is what it is called), try it. WOW!! Was way easier than I thought, and hate I waited to use it. Did two baby quilts last night on Pfaff 230, and it liked it a lot.
Hopping foot or darning foot, they do make life easier! :wink:

Looking forward to seeing more of your finished quilts!
I actually came to the computer and looked (yes, two quilts later) in the virtual manual I have for the Pfaff and saw how to put the hopping foot on for sure. Blind luck, I did what they said to do, with the springy bar behind the needle screw, and it did good. The manual refers to mine as a darning foot. It does darn well.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:53 PM

Well, here she is!!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-258299.jpe  
Old 09-17-2011, 02:12 PM

Well, here she is!!
Very nice! I remember shopping at Mongomery Wards when I was young.
Old 09-17-2011, 02:34 PM

[quote=grayhare][quote=melinda1962][quote=grayhare][quote=melinda1962][quote=grayhare][quote=melinda1962]

OMG! I remember going with my dad; he would go pick up a part or something there. While he was purchasing the item, I would be over in the vacuum area watching the beach ball stay up in the air. lol
Old 09-17-2011, 03:00 PM
Power Poster

[quote=vintagemotif][quote=grayhare][quote=melinda1962][quote=grayhare][quote=melinda1962][quote=grayhare]

OMG! I remember going with my dad; he would go pick up a part or something there. While he was purchasing the item, I would be over in the vacuum area watching the beach ball stay up in the air. lol
We didn't have Montgomery Wards or the catalog where I lived. We had a little J. C. Penny store & their catalog and just a Sears catalog. Oh the wonders to behold!!! My Grandma would play a game with me. She would pretend to give me $100 and tell me I had to make out the order form and order anything I wanted and get it close to $100 and spend it all on myself. WOW! I spent hours dreaming and drooling!!! I could do it all again.... probably in different parts of the catalog though... We had a small town J C Penny and it had some clothes and some appliances etc. BUT I can remember going to Sears in the city - now that was a true treat - it was in one of those old huge stand alone red brick buildings - every nook and cranny full of delightful stuff. AND they had fabric you could touch and buy!!! That's where my clothes mostly came from - shoes too. Oh the smells!

For a while there was a MW distribution center with an outlet in Cincinnati. What fun! All the rejects, returns and broken stuff... It's probably been gone for 25 or 30 years by now - when ever MW went under.
Old 09-17-2011, 04:44 PM

[quote=miriam][quote=vintagemotif][quote=grayhare][quote=melinda1962][quote=grayhare][quote=melinda1962]

We didn't have Montgomery Wards or the catalog where I lived. We had a little J. C. Penny store & their catalog and just a Sears catalog. Oh the wonders to behold!!! My Grandma would play a game with me. She would pretend to give me $100 and tell me I had to make out the order form and order anything I wanted and get it close to $100 and spend it all on myself. WOW! I spent hours dreaming and drooling!!! I could do it all again.... probably in different parts of the catalog though... We had a small town J C Penny and it had some clothes and some appliances etc. BUT I can remember going to Sears in the city - now that was a true treat - it was in one of those old huge stand alone red brick buildings - every nook and cranny full of delightful stuff. AND they had fabric you could touch and buy!!! That's where my clothes mostly came from - shoes too. Oh the smells!

For a while there was a MW distribution center with an outlet in Cincinnati. What fun! All the rejects, returns and broken stuff... It's probably been gone for 25 or 30 years by now - when ever MW went under.
We had just a tiny Wards store in the tiny farm town I grew up in. Nearest Sears, Penny's or bigger Wards store minimum 45 minutes away by the mall. I remember mom getting the catalogs in the mail. She would go through them page by page and dog ear the pages of clothes she liked. Then, one weekend we would go to the park or do something
with Gramma and Grampa. When we got home, there would be piles of clothes on the beds. Mom and Dads, then us kids too, as well as newer throw pillows and drapes if she was really up to it. I never found out that she sewed until I was a teenager, let alone find out we never bought any clothes at the mall. She'd just look in the catalog and make it. She had amazing talent....all on her little Featherweight.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:20 PM

Where is a good place to buy bobbins for a 221 Featherweight?

Thanks
Ginger