Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-07-2011, 09:34 PM

I envy you going to that Billy!!! Have a great time!

After seeing the listing and the dates of the different machines that they have listed that Charlee gave the web site to, I'm wondering how hard or easy it would be to get a FW made around my birthday in 1945. Oh shoot!! There were just 20,000 made in the whole year of 1945. I'll bet it would be like looking for a needle in a haystack. Guess I'd better forget about that. :(
Old 10-07-2011, 09:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Janis
I envy you going to that Billy!!! Have a great time!

After seeing the listing and the dates of the different machines that they have listed that Charlee gave the web site to, I'm wondering how hard or easy it would be to get a FW made around my birthday in 1945. Oh shoot!! There were just 20,000 made in the whole year of 1945. I'll bet it would be like looking for a needle in a haystack. Guess I'd better forget about that. :(
Janis anything is possible you know!

Billy
Old 10-08-2011, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by Suzi
Originally Posted by Suzi
I have a 1901 White treadle that came with one long needle installed and a whole bunch of shorter needles in one drawer. She sews reasonably well with the longer needle - how do I tell what size the needle is (it's pretty rusty) so I can get replacements? I'm afraid to use her much as I sure don't want to break her needle .......... thanks!
Go to this page and find your machine on the list...I'm betting that it takes the 20x1, but don't know for sure without knowing what the machine is.

http://www.ismacs.net/needle_and_sha...eedle-list.pdf
Thanks, Charlee - enclosing a picture (she's not cleaned yet but I never wait - I sew as soon as I can) Her serial is #1330531 and they dated her to June 7 - 1901. I just spent a bit of time looking on the net and can't find what I "think" she requires (20x1) -- where can I locate them (or is there an alternate size that can be used?). I sure appreciate your help ..............
That's pretty!! :) I got some on ebay...and I'm trying to remember where I've seen a more modern substituted size, but you'll have to bear with me, it's been a long day! :lol:
I think too, Glenn said that you could use a 15x1, and just not put it as far into the clamp as you normally would?
I understand long days ....... and I'm patient (especially when waiting for free advice). She's third in line for making a quilt as I'm attempting to construct one with each of my antique/vintage machines (3 down - 5 to go) ----- I have NO MORE ROOM for a 9th.! I have passed on a few beauties but I refuse to bring one home only to put her in the barn for the mice to have a field day. I'm very attached to the 8 I have (except for one - a kneebar operated New Home Godzilla---- but she belonged to my MIL so isn't going anywhere). Have a good one - try to take some "me" time ... works wonders!
Old 10-08-2011, 05:22 AM

I love ISMACS!! :) They have the Singer serial numbers up!!

http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mach...-database.html
:thumbup: Thanks! I think I missed some when downloading the PDFs. This helps.
Old 10-08-2011, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by justtrish
Charlee, I am with you! We have 9 treadles in the house and three more in the garage waiting to be refinished! I can't get any more treadles - just portable machines! At that, I have nearly 40 machines now!

Nancy

How do you decide which one to sew on? :)
Trish, most of my machines have jobs to do. My 127 Sphinx is the machine I use to hem jeans - it will sew through anything maintaining a perfect stitch! My Two Spools is my piecing machine, my 15-88 is the one I use for free motion quilting, my 500a and 503a Rocketeers are used for decorative stitching, my FW's I rotate and take to classes, my Pfaff 1222e is used when I need to use monafilament thread, my Singer 9W is kept in the bedroom for quick mending jobs, my Free #5 is also a piecing machine, the Wilcox and Gibbs are for decorative straight stitching, my Pfaff 130 and several of the 15 clones, etc., are rotated in and out of my sewing room for finishing borders since they all have reverse!

Nancy
Old 10-08-2011, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
I am going to try and to make the ISMACS get together after talking to my wife tonite. She really wants to meet as many folks on here as she can and I want to say thank you to everyone that has supported me during this hard time. And I think Lisa (Quiltaddict) will be there and if that is so we are going to do some serious dumpster diving!!!

Billy
Billy have fun and let Lisa to the diving! So glad you are sounding much better!

Nancy
Old 10-08-2011, 05:58 AM

Wooooohoooooo! Thanks Charlee!

Nancy
Old 10-08-2011, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by jljack
Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
Have a question. Has anyone seen or own a Western Electric portable (wooden case) that is an electric two spools machine?? I have a friend wanting to sell one, but have no idea what it is worth. In really nice shape. Who made the 2 spool machines??

Texas Jan
2 spools? I have a 1917 Western Electric portable in a bentwood case, but it has a round bobbin. Western Electric machines were made by National, and only for 2 years 1917 and 1918. Then Graybar took the machines from National.
Yes the National Two Spools was badged for Western Electric.

If it has a "can" in the bobbin area that holds a spool then it is a Two Spools machine.

I have seen them sell as high as $650 on ebay, last year.

Keep it!!!! It's a great machine for piecing.
I don't own it yet, now knowing what it can be worth, I can't afford it. lol

Texas Jan
Old 10-08-2011, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by gbrauchle
I have a Singer Model 66 manufactured on March 16, 1910 in Elizabeth, New Jersey that I would like to sell. Does anyone have any idea what the value of it would be?
Has anyone answered your question? The Redeye without a hand crank nor a treadle cabinet is not worth much - maybe $25 to $35 depending on how bad someone wanted the machine. The good news is that is looks to be in pretty good shape so you may get a little more if someone wants to just display it or they have the cabinet to drop it into. The 66 is a really nice machine and easy to get bobbins/parts for!
Nancy
Old 10-08-2011, 06:22 AM

Thanks Charlee, for this link, finally I can dated my own machine.