Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-26-2012, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
For Christmas my sister and I cleaned up my moms - we took pictures... Here is the thread: http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...t-t174236.html
maybe you will see something there that will help you clean yours.
Thanks, I just read through that posting again, it's interesting & my machine is also from 1948.. Mine was quite clean when I got it, but I did take the throat plate off & got alot of lint out of there, but when I put it back it didn't work properly. Out came the printed manual from the internet... and yes.... that little hook on the bobbin piece has to seat into the groove on the plate.... oh good.... all stitching again!
Old 05-26-2012, 02:48 PM

Well Nancy and everyone, We just joined the 306 club again for the 3rd. time. We bought a black 306 today with button holder, zig zagger, a dozen bobbins and the little black cams. The machine sews great but what I want to know is were you able to date yours. The serial number for this one is W1505855. It is a 306W. The bobbin case has the cut out like the 306K. Bought all for 20.00. Didn't take the cabinet it was trash. Yesterday Hubby bought a 99K with the box of attachments and he got it sewing too. You all think you have the bug but, I think he has you all beat.
Old 05-26-2012, 02:50 PM

Hang in there Nancy, if like me it will take a few years before they pick the sewing up again. But they will remember the time and will try it again. these were good times for these little people
Old 05-26-2012, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher View Post
You all think you have the bug but, I think he has you all beat.

For your information Missy, I have not bought a sewing machine in TWO WHOLE WEEKS!!

Congrats on the 306!!
Old 05-26-2012, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by jljack View Post
Off topic, but wanted to share anyway. We went to our National Cemetery today to help put flags on the veterans graves. Took my mom, since my dad is there and we wanted to put his flag on together. Here's pics. It was a wonderful day there...cool, but very beautiful!!
Janice, That's a very nice picture and gesture. Thanks for sharing!
Old 05-26-2012, 03:36 PM

I'm sewing my Kwik Sew 3594 bra today. At first, I was going to go with a Jalie 3131 since there is a youtube tute and it looks easier to sew. The other day, I found the Kwik pattern at Stonemountain and Daughter. The Kwik pattern is more of a challenge. I should have gone with the Jalie for the first attempt at making a bra. All sewing has been done on the Necchi Supernova.

Glenn, between the woodworking you do and making bras for your wife, you have to be a very patient person.
Old 05-26-2012, 03:36 PM

Miriam, I love that RED machine!
Old 05-26-2012, 03:38 PM

I think I'm gonna cry. . I was bragging on my new to me Kenmore yesterday and then suddenly the stitching went wonky. It started birds nesting under the needle plate, making horrid thread jams within three stitches too. All this when just moments before it was sewing beautifully.

The only thing that happened between sewing beautifully and the tensions going nuts was I dropped the feed dogs like the manual said to show my wife how you set it up for FMQ'ing. Before, beautiful. After, horrid.

Now, I've examined the parts that control the feed dogs. There is nothing to get out of time. There is a cam that controls the movement of feed dogs that is disengaged to drop the dogs. This cam turns on a shaft with a grove in it. That shaft is driven by the top shaft via a metal chain. Nothing to get out of adjustment.

Before the top tension was set at "4" ± and it was doing great. Now I have to run it up to almost 6 to get it to sew decent going forward. However if I sew in reverse, the top tension just disappears.

The bottom tension was nonexistent when I got the machine. I could put the bobbin in it's case and with it threaded pick up the thread and it would pull right out. No tension at all. I tightened it up to where it will just pick up the bobbin case.

We've checked everything. Taken everything that can be taken apart, apart. No junk, no loose threads, no broken pieces, no burrs I can feel or see.
Unlike most machines the hook is a captive part. It cannot be removed. Oh, it's a rotary hook too.

We tilted the machine back on it's hinges and with it threaded and with material under the foot I turned the hand wheel. It picked up the bobbin just fine. But within three stitches it had a thread jam. What we saw was the thread hanging up in the spring that cushions the bobbin case and prevents it from moving too far to the left. This was with the tension at "4". Once past "5" it would pull the thread past this spring and no thread jams.
But to sew under power it has to be set between 5 and 6.

I'm stumped. If it had been this way from the start that would have been one thing. But to change suddenly something had to happen. And I can't find it.

One of our wonderful ladies posted a big thread or a link to one about tension problems. That link is on my dead computer. Could someone post it again? Along with any ideas or places to read up on weird happenings.

Thanks. I think I'm gonna .

Joe
Old 05-26-2012, 04:03 PM

[QUOTE=vintagemotif;5245035]I'm sewing my Kwik Sew 3594 bra today. At first, I was going to go with a Jalie 3131 since there is a youtube tute and it looks easier to sew. The other day, I found the Kwik pattern at Stonemountain and Daughter. The Kwik pattern is more of a challenge. I should have gone with the Jalie for the first attempt at making a bra. All sewing has been done on the Necchi Supernova.

A good resource for bra making is Anne St.Clair of Needle Nook Fabrics. I first heard about this company on a sewing podcast and then my mother took one of her classes at an ASG conference and raved about the class. My mom bought a kit with enough fabric and findings for a few bras and a book about fitting and making bras. She also made at least one bra and was happy with it. I looked at her book and thought it seemed very comprehensive and useful---someday I intend to buy my own. You can google the company, but here's an attempt at a link to the blog: www.ndlnookfab.blogspot.com. I think the store is centered around knit fabrics, primarily.
Old 05-26-2012, 04:28 PM

Treadlep, Thanks for the link! I was thinking that I might have to purchase "The Bra Makers Manual" for learning how to do alterations. I will also look into what Anne has. First attempt is just to learn the construction; my next, will be on any alterations.