Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 04-25-2012, 09:18 AM

Default New machine in need of LOTS of advice!

Billy,
I picked this up @ a thrift sale. It had been in the family since it was new. The youngest member who inherited it didn't want her & left her in a leaky garage. I got to the sale & it said make an offer --by the time I came back w/DH it was free for the taking!! I never really thought about treadles 'til I saw her. She's all mother of pearl inlay & I think Pearl is beautiful, or will be if she can be cleaned up. What do I do with her, is there something special to do for her inlay? I'm @ sea on this. I've been lurking & listening & know this is the bestest place to start!! I'll try to upload the pics. The #'s on her are 4381901 445901. I hope all who see will also help if they can -- I'm overwhelmed w/ the responsibility for her
Attached Thumbnails dsc00636.jpg   dsc00635.jpg   dsc00637.jpg   dsc00639.jpg   dsc00632.jpg  

Old 04-25-2012, 09:45 AM

Oh, also what is she. Since all but one of the drawers are gone there were no extra parts. She does have her shuttle &1 bobbin in her.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:07 AM

Pokey - She is a Singer Model 12, and a very lovely one!! Very early....there are 2 or 3 tutorials posted in this category on cleaning up the old machines. Be very careful with it, as the finish is likely fragile. Most of us use only sewing machine oil on cotton balls to slowly and carefully remove surface dirt only.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
oh, my I'm in love, too far away tho....
Old 04-25-2012, 12:00 PM

Interesting cabinet, nice, it looks big. I had not seen one like this before.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/fuo/2977417610.html
Old 04-25-2012, 12:05 PM

Those Mission style cabinets are pretty scarce- I've only seen 2. Clean simple lines. and I love the oak.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:07 PM

Nancy, you needed to see this CL...it was posted on the "What Are They Smoking?" thread, but I just HAD to put it here. Everyone get ready to split a gut laughing!!! LOL What a creative person this is!!! LOL

[h=2]Pfaff 130 Magic Sewing Machine - $525 (Seattle)[/h][HR][/HR]Date: 2012-04-24, 10:00AM PDT
Reply to: [email protected] [SUP][Errors when replying to ads?][/SUP] [HR][/HR]
This is a Pfaff 130 industrial sewing machine suitable for heavy canvas, leather, marine vinyl, and all sorts of other things that make wussy little sewing machines cry like children.

Ever wanted to sew a shoe to tree? You can do it with this bad boy. Wanna sew a slab of concrete onto your car bumper? No problem. Loud neighbors giving you problems? Sew mattresses to your walls and you'll never hear them again.

This machine is amazing!

-I built an addition to my house using nothing more than eggs, flour, and a Pfaff 130.
-When I had surgery, the doctor used a Pfaff 130 to stitch me up.
-The Pfaff 130 tutored my developmentally disabled children and now they attend Harvard.
-The Pfaff 130 is an excellent listener.
-When I ran out of gas in the snow this winter, the Pfaff 130 drove out to me with a gas can.
-The Pfaff 130 does the dishes and cleans the house when I work late.

It has a treadle switch too.

Can you believe that one??? I LOVE it!!!
Old 04-25-2012, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by grayhare View Post
Interesting cabinet, nice, it looks big. I had not seen one like this before.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/fuo/2977417610.html
OOOOOO!!! There's that mission cabinet I have wanted for soooo long!! There are just too many really good machines popping up right now. :-(
Old 04-25-2012, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by pokeyscorner View Post
Billy,
I picked this up @ a thrift sale. It had been in the family since it was new. The youngest member who inherited it didn't want her & left her in a leaky garage. I got to the sale & it said make an offer --by the time I came back w/DH it was free for the taking!! I never really thought about treadles 'til I saw her. She's all mother of pearl inlay & I think Pearl is beautiful, or will be if she can be cleaned up. What do I do with her, is there something special to do for her inlay? I'm @ sea on this. I've been lurking & listening & know this is the bestest place to start!! I'll try to upload the pics. The #'s on her are 4381901 445901. I hope all who see will also help if they can -- I'm overwhelmed w/ the responsibility for her
Free is a great price for a machine! Good luck with it! I wish I could see the pictures, but since they are all together in one spot and I have dial-up they are taking too long to come in.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:53 PM

Pokey, jljack is right. It's a BEAUTIFUL model 12 with a transverse shuttle and amazing decals and MOP inlay!

Absolutely NOTHING more than sewing machine oil to clean her!! Use cotton balls, gently, and it's going to take awhile, but is going to be so worth the effort! WOW...