Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 04-25-2012, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by nurseknitsLaura View Post
I have one of those. The best part is that the pillars, beneath the drawers, have hinges and open up and lock closed. Whites are really nice, well made machines. I recently found out that if you go to the Singer website, and look at the place where the manuals are, some white manuals are there as well. You just type in the model number and there it is! I mention it because the Whites are a bit different to thread than the Singers. Laura
Almost everything one could possibly want to know about White sewing machines can be found at Katie Farmer's site
http://community.webshots.com/user/arachnesobsession.

She has the best information that I have seen so far.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny View Post
I am so far behind, I will never catch up, so guess I won't try!! If I have missed anything earth-shattering, I'm hoping I'll find out along the way.
I have done a Very Foolish Thing, and bought a new/old house. Now I have to Do Something About all this mess I've been creating for the past 30 years. I started out by taking a nap and sleeping 6 hours straight. Seemed like a good idea to me!! The idea of moving my Hoarder's Paradise is daunting to say the least.
Crossstitcher's MOP Model 12 is a thing of beauty, and we all know I'm a sucker for a pretty face.

Think I'll go back to bed. . . .
Miz J
Miz Johnny, I miss ya!!! That sounds very exciting. Now that you are moving, you can take photos of some of those machines that you couldn't get to, but you knew there were somewhere there. Good luck!!!
Old 04-25-2012, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by grayhare View Post
Wow, take a look at these machines. I would really like the blue one!
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/atq/2979219395.html
The Standard is a very nice machine. And the cabinet on the Minnesota is stunning!!
Old 04-25-2012, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Well, I got me an old one. A Newhome with the tension on the top of the arm and no thread take up lever. I don't have pics yet, they are still on the camera and since I'm on the old Win 98 box it's a royal PITA to download them to the HD. I'll probably get them up tomorrow.
Anyway, here's the Craigs list URL: http://springfieldil.craigslist.org/atq/2900934210.html
The pics make it look a lot better than it was. The term "rough" is an understatement. But it has possibilities so I went ahead and bought it.
The motor does not run. I haven't diagnosed it's problems yet, but I'm working on it.
The machine was locked up. Not from rust, or old oil, but from bunches of needles and pins dropped down inside the oil oils. Had the old machine jammed up and jelly tight. It's all freed up now. Many parts are soaking in Hoppe's #9 and Evapo-Rust.
What really made us laugh is the mouse nest in the case under the machine. That's all cleaned out but the case needs to be washed.

Does anyone have a site that can help me ID the model # of this machine? Serial# is AB 5043.
Other than the latches on the bentwood case, the missing light and the nob on the stitch control the machine is complete with shuttle, bobbin and even a needle.

Joe
It looks like it was trying to strangle itself with a very old electrical cord...poor baby. Glad to read that you have rescued the poor thing.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny View Post
I am so far behind, I will never catch up, so guess I won't try!! If I have missed anything earth-shattering, I'm hoping I'll find out along the way.
I have done a Very Foolish Thing, and bought a new/old house. Now I have to Do Something About all this mess I've been creating for the past 30 years. I started out by taking a nap and sleeping 6 hours straight. Seemed like a good idea to me!! The idea of moving my Hoarder's Paradise is daunting to say the least.
Crossstitcher's MOP Model 12 is a thing of beauty, and we all know I'm a sucker for a pretty face.

Think I'll go back to bed. . . .
Miz J
I was just thinking of you today! It's good to see you...and congrats on the new house!
Old 04-25-2012, 07:21 PM

Smile

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Please do buy it! I would be so happy never to see its hideousness on my screen again. LOL.
Ah, come on, Candace. Don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel. ;-)
Old 04-25-2012, 07:34 PM

Crossstitcher, I hope my #12 will look as pretty as yours does. I hope my DH doesn't take too much of a shine to mine!!
Yours looks absolutely beautiful. Just w/ sewing machine oil & cotton balls? I'm still looking for the tute but haven't read far enough yet.

Last edited by pokeyscorner; 04-25-2012 at 07:52 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:19 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by pokeyscorner View Post
Crossstitcher, I hope my #12 will look as pretty as yours does. I hope my DH doesn't take too much of a shine to mine!!
Yours looks absolutely beautiful. Just w/ sewing machine oil & cotton balls? I'm still looking for the tute but haven't read far enough yet.
it is in the stick at the top of for vintage & antique sewing machine enthusiasts http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...v-t167789.html and a link for good measure.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by pokeyscorner View Post
Like Miriam said, the best tutorials are at the top of the Vintage section, Muv's tutorials are the BEST for cleaning up these old girls! There are other tutorials that recommend using hand cleaner (like GOOP or those kinds for mechanics)....and if everything including the shellac was pristine on your machine it might be ok....but unless it is, you'll lose decals and possibly harm the MOP. Once you get it cleaned, Glenn can help you with clear coating the machine with shellac to protect it.

So yep! Sewing machine oil and cotton balls, or an old cut up cotton tshirt, and change often so that the grit you pick up doesn't scratch.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:17 AM

Thanks Charlee,
My DH remembered the GOOP part from a few days ago & I told him what you all said about SMO. Now he has his answer as to why not. Glad to hear about switching cotton often. Now I know why we name them after women -- they're delicate.