Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 09-09-2014, 10:09 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by grant15clone View Post
My understanding on this is, There were two different hook assemblies made for these machines with just the slightest of differences between the two. I will call them "A" and "B". Design A can work with both A and B but Design B will only work with B. There is no good way to tell them apart either AND the new replacement ones do not fit all machines correctly. Buying an original would be the best way to find one that would fit and work in your machine, but I would want to try it in the machine first before buying it.
~G~
Grant,
The hook and bobbin case for 221s and 301s are the same. It's the bobbin case base that is different and not interchangeable. If a machine has the wrong base in it no bobbin case will work properly. It's quite possible that someone at some time replaced Nancys' with the wrong one. The vintage Singer groups are full of these discussions. People think that because the machines use the same bobbin case that the case bases are the same when they're not.

Cari
Old 09-10-2014, 01:07 PM

Hummm, this is interesting because there is a little repair shop close to me owned by a guy in his 80's who has been working on sewing machines for ever. He said not to buy a 'new' bobbin case for the 301. He didn't explain why, just said they usually work in the 221,222, but will sometimes stick in the 301. He told me to get a vintage bobbin case. I have 4 301's and the new bobbin case I bought for $35 (suppose to be a good one) will not work in any of my 301's, but it works in my 221's. Very interesting. I am pretty sure my 301's are all original too, including the bobbin case assembly/base.

Nancy
Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
Grant,
The hook and bobbin case for 221s and 301s are the same. It's the bobbin case base that is different and not interchangeable. If a machine has the wrong base in it no bobbin case will work properly. It's quite possible that someone at some time replaced Nancys' with the wrong one. The vintage Singer groups are full of these discussions. People think that because the machines use the same bobbin case that the case bases are the same when they're not.

Cari
Old 09-10-2014, 04:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Hummm, this is interesting because there is a little repair shop close to me owned by a guy in his 80's who has been working on sewing machines for ever. He said not to buy a 'new' bobbin case for the 301. He didn't explain why, just said they usually work in the 221,222, but will sometimes stick in the 301. He told me to get a vintage bobbin case. I have 4 301's and the new bobbin case I bought for $35 (suppose to be a good one) will not work in any of my 301's, but it works in my 221's. Very interesting. I am pretty sure my 301's are all original too, including the bobbin case assembly/base.

Nancy
Could very well be, I'm just going off of what Bill Holman always says on the Vintage Singer group. I know I can swap bobbin cases between my 221 and 301s, but they're all older cases not new ones.

Cari
Old 09-11-2014, 04:32 AM

So, what I posted earlier was correct. Thank you Nancy for clearing that up, for me at least.
~G~
Old 09-11-2014, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by manicmike View Post
Enamel, I believe (I didn't paint it). I wanted to re-do the Japan (you melt an old 78 ROM gramophone record in alcohol for several days then filter) but the oven's a problem - not that I can't get the machine in but the house smelled for days the last time (I'm serious). I'm now thinking baked enamel or something similar. The paint so far hasn't really supplied a thick enough coating to emulate the original finish: It needs to fill in all the ridges and gaps in the cast iron. Hmm.. maybe I just need to apply with a brush.
Did you get kicked out of the hose for a bit after baking? I can laugh bu it wasn't my house.
Old 09-11-2014, 05:44 AM
Power Poster

DIL had a stroke on Monday - they figured it and did surgery last night/this morning - 27 years old... she is talking and perky again and that is good - 1/3 of her brain was blocked.
Old 09-11-2014, 05:49 AM

Very sorry to see that Miriam. That's way too young for that sort of thing. Not that there's ever a good time to have one.
I'll pray for a full recovery for her.
Rodney
Old 09-11-2014, 05:50 AM

OMG so young, glad they caught it prayer for the best.
Old 09-11-2014, 05:51 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by HelenAnn View Post
OMG so young, glad they caught it prayer for the best.
I'm glad they caught it too - she is a delightful gal. She is a cancer survivor, too.
Old 09-11-2014, 06:02 AM

double posted. oops

Last edited by Rodney; 09-11-2014 at 06:05 AM. Reason: double post too late to delete