Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 09-08-2014, 05:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
I was afraid of that. A quart of the stuff isn't cheap either- the reason I haven't tried it yet. I've toyed with making my own Japan (I like old hand tools too) but I know my wife wouldn't approve of my baking it in the oven.
Rodney
I don't blame her.
So get a toaster oven you can use in the garage.

Cari
Old 09-08-2014, 07:58 PM

Hi everyone, hey a quick question. I have been trying to find a bobbin case for a Singer 301a. Every one of the bobbin cases I get says they will work on a 221, 222, 301, or 301a, but I am finding out that is not the case. The bobbin cases that will work on a 221, 222 sometimes stick when you try to use them on a 301. I talked to a repair shop and was told that to get a bobbin case for a 301 or 301a, you really need to get one from an actual 301, or 301a . . . . . not the generic bobbin cases that claim to work - because they can/usually do stick when you try to sew with them. Have any of you had this probem?

Nancy
Old 09-08-2014, 08:58 PM
Banned

I bought a used 221 bobbin case for one of my 301s and it worked fine.

Cari
Old 09-09-2014, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
I know my wife wouldn't approve of my baking it in the oven.
I knew beforehand it would stink. The finish was promising though. Not perfect but if the baking hadn't been the weak point I'd have kept going.
I think a toaster oven wouldn't be anywhere near big enough for a Singer 29.
Old 09-09-2014, 02:54 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by manicmike View Post
I knew beforehand it would stink. The finish was promising though. Not perfect but if the baking hadn't been the weak point I'd have kept going.
I think a toaster oven wouldn't be anywhere near big enough for a Singer 29.
can you make an out door oven?
Old 09-09-2014, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Hi everyone, hey a quick question. I have been trying to find a bobbin case for a Singer 301a. Every one of the bobbin cases I get says they will work on a 221, 222, 301, or 301a, but I am finding out that is not the case. The bobbin cases that will work on a 221, 222 sometimes stick when you try to use them on a 301. I talked to a repair shop and was told that to get a bobbin case for a 301 or 301a, you really need to get one from an actual 301, or 301a . . . . . not the generic bobbin cases that claim to work - because they can/usually do stick when you try to sew with them. Have any of you had this probem?

Nancy
My understanding on this is, There were two different hook assemblies made for these machines with just the slightest of differences between the two. I will call them "A" and "B". Design A can work with both A and B but Design B will only work with B. There is no good way to tell them apart either AND the new replacement ones do not fit all machines correctly. Buying an original would be the best way to find one that would fit and work in your machine, but I would want to try it in the machine first before buying it.
~G~
Old 09-09-2014, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
can you make an out door oven?
The thought did cross my mind, Miriam!
Old 09-09-2014, 05:21 AM

Thank you Cari, I was wondering if the vintage bobbin cases that came out of a 221 would work. I know the 'new' bobbin cases won't work on a 301, or at least it is hit and miss whether they work or not! I will find a vintage case for a 221. It is really hard to find the vintage cases for a 301.

Nancy
Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
I bought a used 221 bobbin case for one of my 301s and it worked fine.

Cari
Old 09-09-2014, 05:25 AM

Thank you Grant! That is exactly what the sewing repair shop told me - no way of knowing whether a new bobbin case will work until you try it on the 301. I will just search for a vintage bobbin case. Maybe, this is why Sew Classic quit selling the bobbin cases?

Nancy
Originally Posted by grant15clone View Post
My understanding on this is, There were two different hook assemblies made for these machines with just the slightest of differences between the two. I will call them "A" and "B". Design A can work with both A and B but Design B will only work with B. There is no good way to tell them apart either AND the new replacement ones do not fit all machines correctly. Buying an original would be the best way to find one that would fit and work in your machine, but I would want to try it in the machine first before buying it.
~G~
Old 09-09-2014, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Thank you Grant! That is exactly what the sewing repair shop told me - no way of knowing whether a new bobbin case will work until you try it on the 301. I will just search for a vintage bobbin case. Maybe, this is why Sew Classic quit selling the bobbin cases?

Nancy
Nancy, You are welcome. I know of one supplier that had the ones that did not fit many machines and sent them back. Some time later the supplier's supplier told them that they had fixed the problem and they ordered them again with the same results and sent them back again. This was just recently. I am sure that by now the manufacturer (probably in China) is aware of the problem and are working on resolving it, but as of now, I would not buy one of the new ones myself.
~G~