Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 04-26-2012, 08:21 AM

Thanks Charlee,
My DH remembered the GOOP part from a few days ago & I told him what you all said about SMO. Now he has his answer as to why not. Glad to hear about switching cotton often. Now I know why we name them after women -- they're delicate.

Also, thanks Miriam for the links to the cleaning -- some days I'm computer challenged!! Still haven't figured my way around the board or how to leave an answer to others messages.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:47 AM

Ok everyone I need help! I have been trying to get a friends FW working. It skips stitches - not all the time - but often enough. I tried cleaning, changing needles, changing types of needles, changing thread, re-threading a bunch of times, and I have played with the tension until I am sick of it. I have never had a problem FW, so this is a first. Any ideas short of timing issues? Don't tell me this is a timing issue! I have never had an issue with timing on a FW! This was a well used, well loved FW. Hasn't sat around at all. It is clean - oiled, lubricated - I don't get it!

Nancy
Old 04-26-2012, 12:33 PM

Nancy, it sounds like it could very well be a timing issue. Check the hook and see if it's too far away from the needle or if it's not timed properly. Look and see.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:00 PM

This was posted on the classified board and it is actually in my area, sort of. I'm thinking it is a 15-88 with gingerbread/Tiffany decals? I emailed him and asked a price and am waiting to hear back. What do you think? I don't think I would pay more than $100 if that?

http://www.nlclassifieds.com/classif...rniture/842183
Old 04-26-2012, 02:16 PM
Power Poster

Muv has posted another video!!!
This one is on treadling!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8IUB...re=uploademail
I'll put up a post ASAP
Old 04-26-2012, 02:40 PM

BoJangles- Try a new (old)bobbin that has worked well in the past. I'm not experienced with FW's, but I know sometimes newer bobbins just don't work well. I have to admit that timing might indeed be the problem.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:52 PM

I just watched Muv's new treadling video- excellent. I'd always wondered if the machine had to be treadled backwards for a reverse stitch (on a reverse machine), but didn't see how it could be done without breaking the thread. She continues with the wheel still spinning in the same direction for normal forward sewing. I'd like to know how she changed the machine to reverse stitching. Thank you for the link.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Muv has posted another video!!!
This one is on treadling!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8IUB...re=uploademail
I'll put up a post ASAP

YAY!!
I don't have a problem treadling, but love watching Muv's videos anyway!!
Old 04-26-2012, 03:12 PM
Muv

Originally Posted by Monroe View Post
I just watched Muv's new treadling video- excellent. I'd always wondered if the machine had to be treadled backwards for a reverse stitch (on a reverse machine), but didn't see how it could be done without breaking the thread. She continues with the wheel still spinning in the same direction for normal forward sewing. I'd like to know how she changed the machine to reverse stitching. Thank you for the link.
Yes, I realise I didn't explain that. The stitch length lever has to be pushed into the right position. I will put a note about it on Youtube tomorrow.

Goodnight, way past my bedtime. Thank you all for watching the video!
Old 04-26-2012, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Monroe View Post
BoJangles- Try a new (old)bobbin that has worked well in the past. I'm not experienced with FW's, but I know sometimes newer bobbins just don't work well. I have to admit that timing might indeed be the problem.
I changed the bobbin, even changed the bobbin casing with one of mine that I know works well! Still skips - and now I can hear the skip. Its like there is a hesitation sound - I know exactly when it skips without even looking at the thread path. I thought maybe a burr in the tension disks? Geeze, I don't want to hear the word timing!!!!!

Nancy