Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-04-2011, 01:02 PM
Power Poster

I've been working on an old industrial machine I gave up on this spring. I got the tension fixed! It still wouldn't stitch. It came with two bobbin cases. One was missing a screw and the other wouldn't go in the hole. Then the thread didn't line up with the needle area. I stole a screw off another one and jiggled with it a bunch and low and behold it pulled up the bobbin thread!!!!! Now I have to get her to actually work on fabric, get her presentable and find someone who wants her. She is a Singer 241 - she has a beautiful table. Motor sounds and runs perfect.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:06 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Blinky
I purchased a Sphynx treadle sewing machine...127? I think the presser bar is froze up on it so it won't move the presser foot up and done. My husband at the moment is trying to soak it in something at the moment. If he can't unfreeze it I was wondering how to obtain a new bar for my machine? Thanks!
Don't force it. Heat it and gently try rocking it up and down if it will move at all. New ones can be had but you should be able to keep yours.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:35 PM

Hey Everyone!!! We have STITCHES at our house!! Hazel, "bless her heart" :lol: , wouldn't stitch. She set her presser foot down and firmly REFUSED to make a stitch, so...the SU (spousal unit) and I tag teamed the issue...I played for a bit, got frustrated and he took over. He broke a needle (at THREE bucks a needle, he was NOT Mr. Popular at that moment) he stepped away and I went back at it...he came back to help and together, we figured out that the race was extended out as far as it would go, causing the top thread to catch and hang up between the race and the shuttle causing it to miss the loop. Backed the race up just a hair and we all of the sudden had a stitchin' machine! Not one skipped stitch, tension perfect! :)

I'm a pretty happy camper right now! :)
Old 10-04-2011, 01:55 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Charlee
Hey Everyone!!! We have STITCHES at our house!! Hazel, "bless her heart" :lol: , wouldn't stitch. She set her presser foot down and firmly REFUSED to make a stitch, so...the SU (spousal unit) and I tag teamed the issue...I played for a bit, got frustrated and he took over. He broke a needle (at THREE bucks a needle, he was NOT Mr. Popular at that moment) he stepped away and I went back at it...he came back to help and together, we figured out that the race was extended out as far as it would go, causing the top thread to catch and hang up between the race and the shuttle causing it to miss the loop. Backed the race up just a hair and we all of the sudden had a stitchin' machine! Not one skipped stitch, tension perfect! :)

It sure feels good when you win one doesn't it!!!!
Old 10-04-2011, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by miriam

Oh yeah!! :D I was starting to worry that Hazel would have to go...I've always said that I wouldn't have a machine in the house that I couldn't use....she gets to stay now! :lol:
Old 10-04-2011, 02:23 PM
Power Poster

Oh yeah!! :D I was starting to worry that Hazel would have to go...I've always said that I wouldn't have a machine in the house that I couldn't use....she gets to stay now! :lol:
It IS one thing to clean them up and it feels really good. But the icing on the cake is when it stitches isn't it!!!!!!
Old 10-04-2011, 03:03 PM

It's nothing more than a side table if it doesn't stitch!! Don't need another side table, so it HAS to stitch! :lol:
Old 10-04-2011, 03:17 PM

I donated 10 inches of hair - WOW I feel so FREE!!!! I've wanted to donate hair since I was in 4th grade - there was a girl who had to wear a wig... I always wanted to do it and never knew how. I went to Great Clips and they were so excited for me!!!
Good for you! I did this same thing 2 years ago and let hubby cut my pony tail off. It's a great cause.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by justtrish
I have a complaint!!

I am getting no sewing done... I go into my sewing room, look at all the pretty vintage machines and can't decide which one to use.... :)
I did that today. Threaded up 4 of my machines, did a bit of piecing, said this doesn't feel right, and now I'm back to my favorite for piecing work.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:22 PM

That's always a god feeling when you figure out the problem.
Have fun stitching with her!