Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-20-2011, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by redmadder
Can anyone tell me where to look for model numbers online? I have several machines with serial numbers and know the dates. There are 3 Singers, 1920s, 4 treadles, New Home, White, Singer Redeye, and a Singer I haven't seen yet. A Franklin, a Pfaff.....

I acquired most of them before this craze started, so 25 years ago, just like the way they look.
Your Singer machines can be dated by serial # on the following site:
http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mach...-database.html
Sorry, I don't know how to date the other models.
Linda 8-)
Old 10-20-2011, 06:07 AM

Thank you Weedwoman and Glenn for getting back to me so quick. When I bought the machine, they gave me a screw down seam guide. I'll get that sucker out and get it measured this weekend. They insisted at the shop that the zig zag foot was exactly a 1/4" and it really isn't.

I see there are a ton of different feed dog covers at that site. I bookmarked it for later drooling. Am I just looking for one that's compatible with a 66?

Those red eyes are so pretty. Mine is a shiny black one and all her finish is silver. I was looking on some earlier posts and they were talking about the reverse lever painted white. I don't think mine is. She's from 1954.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:49 AM

Thanks Everyone !! and Charlee, I agree (the older I get the more beauty I look for and see in age) Wrinkles become character lines, just like scratches and blemishes on these old iron ladies and the cabinets.

Hopefully she will sew again one day.

Texas Jan
Old 10-20-2011, 06:56 AM

Help, just got a new to me 301 in the suitcase and can NOT get the foot pedal out of the bracket that it is in. How do I get it out without breaking it so I can test drive if to see if it works?
Old 10-20-2011, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by lovelyl
Originally Posted by redmadder
Can anyone tell me where to look for model numbers online? I have several machines with serial numbers and know the dates. There are 3 Singers, 1920s, 4 treadles, New Home, White, Singer Redeye, and a Singer I haven't seen yet. A Franklin, a Pfaff.....

I acquired most of them before this craze started, so 25 years ago, just like the way they look.
Your Singer machines can be dated by serial # on the following site:
http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mach...-database.html
Sorry, I don't know how to date the other models.
Linda 8-)
Here is the White site for dating: http://community.webshots.com/user/arachnesobsession

Also New Home dating: http://www.ismacs.net/newhome/manufacture_dates.html

Pfaff through 1975: http://www.ismacs.net/pfaff/pfaff_ma...ure_dates.html

Your Franklin is probably made by White. White made a Franklin Rotary and a Franklin VS that Sears sold. Davis also made a Franklin in 1911, which was a clone of the 27/127 with elaborate decals. Kathie in this shop has one of those Franklins!

Nancy
Old 10-20-2011, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by amyjo
Help, just got a new to me 301 in the suitcase and can NOT get the foot pedal out of the bracket that it is in. How do I get it out without breaking it so I can test drive if to see if it works?
It slides upwards.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee
~laffin~ Don't look to me for help Iris, I'm on the same slippery slope!! ;)

Damascus was made for Montgomery Ward, I believe in the twenties, but don't quote me on that. I do know they were made for MW, but am not sure on the dates.

Where are the pics??? :)
Charlee is right of course. There was a Damascus Grand Rotary made in the early 1920's for Montgomery Wards by National Sewing Machine Co.

Nancy
Old 10-20-2011, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
Originally Posted by amyjo
It slides upwards.
Thanks for the info. Maybe now I can out mine onto the brackets when I out up my machine. Never thought of trying to slide it on. Laffin at myself here cuz the answer is now so obvious.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
We have all enjoyed seeing Glenn's beautiful restored machines. I'm here to show off one of mine tonight. She started off being called a "boat anchor" because the man that had her thought that was all she was worth. I wanted to see what I could do with her. When researching her manufacturing date, I was told she is actually a rare White Rotary machine, made September 10, 1903. When White began to make their Rotary, the serial number was completely numbers. The slide plate was a rectangle. These were made for only 8 years. They have a different bobbin case that is quite rare and an extremely rare wooden hand hole cover. As luck would have it, my machine has her bobbin cover and the only piece of her cabinet that I have is the wooden hand hole cover. The later White rotary machines were called White Family Rotary, and their serial numbers all start with the letters FR. They have a different slide plate that is called a tee shirt shaped plate.
When I found out what a treasure she was, I decided to just leave her damaged decals and restore to as good a natural state as I could. Now I am looking for a White cabinet where she can hopefully sew again. She can't be beautiful, but she can sure shine.

Texas Jan
Texas Jan, you are amazing!

Nancy
Old 10-20-2011, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by jljack
Hey, Charlee & Monica & Nancy...guess what...I won a Davis Vertical Feed machine on auction this weekend, along with some attachments of some kind (haven't seen a good pic of them yet). It's just the machine, no cabinet or base, but I am sooo excited!!
I picked up some treadle irons last night for Janice's machine. She found them on Craigslist in my area & asked me to check them out. Her husband will make a top for it. Now to figure out getting them to her.