Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-31-2011, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Well everyone I bought one of Candace's 319w's yesterday along with all 30 cams but one! I got the pretty green one. I haven't had a chance to try her out yet as I did not get the motor or foot pedal with this machine. I don't need them as I am going to put her in a treadle as soon as we get the light sanding and staining - light refinishing - done on her new treadle. The treadle cabinet I got over the week with the 66 in it just needed some light work due to water rings from those potted plants everyone puts on these treadle cabinets. (I only bought this cabinet because it was in very good shape and I needed it for the 319w!) I will pick up my zig zag plate today! I am soooooo excited to try this machine in the treadle! It is going to be so much fun to treadle a machine with decorative stitches. Now I will be finishing my little Patchabilities on the treadle when I work at home - in class in use my Rocketeer 503a!

Thank you so much Candace! Loved your house - all the goblins and ghosts everywhere!

Nancy
I have a 319 but have never did the decorative stitches. I pieced a quilt on it though, to say it completed a project. Can't wait to see it treadle and do them. I had downloaded the manual, and just never tried; it looked rather complicated, and I was swamped with work. I may give it a try soon, though, since life is easing up somewhat. It just looks spectacular to begin win.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by tropit
Oh, geez...we're pathetic, aren't we? LOL! I'm guessing from your avitar that you also rescue horses like I do. ("Jeannie" and "Mr. Brown"...straight of the track and destined for the knackers.) ~ Cindy
Off topic but have to ask: do you follow Joe Shelton @ tbfriends.com? He is in Woodland.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Launie
Originally Posted by Candace
MY EYES!!! THEY BURN!!!
Who thought this defacing of a beautiful sewing machine was a good idea???? OMG!!!!
Old 10-31-2011, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by wvdek
This evening while having dinner at church, my DH's good friend, his GF and I were talking. After talking aabout all the snow everyone had, I made mention that because of all the power outages, that that is why I want a treadle sewing machine so I can keep on sewing.

DH's friend says, "I have one up at the house you can have". What! Be still my heart. "What brand is it"? "I don't know. It has a wooden case with several drawers chock full of old buttons and stuff and has a goofy looking rounded top that removes". "Oh, a coffin top". "Yeah, it does look like that". "

I'm going up tomorrow to loook at it. Either way, he is giving it to me and I will take it. I did ask him if he wanted me to make him a quilt and he reminded me I had already made him a fleece blanket that he uses all the time. (He and my DH made me a solid wood porch swing out of old school wooden (mostly oak with a nice piece of wormy chestnut) tongue and groove flooring boards. I made him the blanket as a thank you.)

I asked him if he wanted a valance made for his great room window. He said as long as it has black bears, pine trees, and pinecones, I could do anything I wanted. Woohoo!
I can only hope it is a gem. Will let ya'all know.
Well, when the homework got the better of me this morning, I asked DH to take me up to look at the machine. Naturally I forgot the camera.
Anyway, it is in pretty rough shape overall, but still salvageable.
It is, "The Eldredge "B" treadle in original cabinet with coffin top.
The machine is missing the bobbin but does have the case. The mechanisms all move rather freely. Most of the dcals are worn off or very faded. It needs a good kerosene soak for several days, I would say. Then alot of elbow grease. It will probably need re-painted in the long run. The treadle itself and the side legs are in great shape, just need cleaned well and re-painted.
We didn't bring it home yet. Took me almost an hour just to find some decent info on it. When I get it, It will have to sit here until next spring before I can work on it. Have to get school out of the way and warmer weather.
So, not as nice as I would like, but beggars can't be choosy and it is free!

PS - It is missing the bobbin case cover. Don't know if I can find one or not.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
Oh, geez...we're pathetic, aren't we? LOL! I'm guessing from your avitar that you also rescue horses like I do. ("Jeannie" and "Mr. Brown"...straight of the track and destined for the knackers.) ~ Cindy
Off topic but have to ask: do you follow Joe Shelton @ tbfriends.com? He is in Woodland.
No...by his URL, I'm guessing that he would get me into a lot more trouble and a few more horses.

~ Cindy ;-)
Old 10-31-2011, 10:46 AM

I've been hunting for a "the Free" treadle cabinet because the people who sold me the head took the origina cabinet and treadle base apart to make coffee tables. AUGH! The gorgeous cab is the best part about that machine.

~ Cindy
Cindy I have a Free in a treadle that I'd sell to you for what I paid! I am up to 13 treadles! I have to sell a couple. I used my Free alot for piecing until I got the Two Spools! I won't sell it unless it gets a really good home! Pictured on page 627. Are you in Northern California? I won't ship it either!

Nancy
Hummm...I'm in N. CA...between Boonville and Point Arena. where is Rescue?

~ C.
Above Folsom, about an hour from Sacramento.

Oh Glenn, I was thinking about my earlier posting when I mentioned that I bought a treadle with a Singer 66 in it over the weekend; and, I said I was going to use the treadle for my new Singer 319w.

Anyway, I thought I better explain to you, Glenn, knowing how much you love the 66 that I am only take the 66 head out because I already have 3 - 66's! I don't need another one! It is not that I have anything against the 66 - I love them!

Nancy
That is perfectly alright I understand. I am also going to get another cabinet for the 319 now I have to change out the grandma to use the 319. I want it in its own cabinet. Just don't use the 66 for parts if it is working order. I know this is silly but I have four of them :lol:
Glenn
Old 10-31-2011, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
No...by his URL, I'm guessing that he would get me into a lot more trouble and a few more horses.

~ Cindy ;-)
LOL I hear you on that one. Thank goodness I don't live up there. He does rescue some nice horses from the track, the out-of-business farms & the auctions. If you are ever looking to rescue another one, might check him out. Course, he gets the sad stories too...horses that don't deserve to be in the condition he gets them in.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:50 AM

I have a Yamaha FG-150 that I got in 1969(my 12th birthday), it plays beautifully. I've started playing again, OMG I'm rusty.

Sharon W.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by Bennett
Billy--thanks, I may have to jot that down too to remember.

Charlee--My part time job is in a hardware store, so I may hit the fastener section tomorrow when I go in and see if something will work.

I was able to get it smoothed out some with one of the little sanding drums on a rotary tool, but I was kind of afraid to take too much off in case I couldn't get another one. I wonder if putting a rubber band around it might help? Just kind of thinking out loud...

Thanks for all the help y'all!
William paid something like 13 cents for the rubber part...just cut off the original and worked the new one on... :) If you don't find one, I can send out the extra I have...does your friction wheel also run your bobbin winder? (I'm too lazy to go back and look! :lol: )
Finally getting a little free time today to catch up. The bobbin winder and friction wheel are separate. The bobbin winder works just like you'd expect, running off the larger hand wheel. I'll let y'all know if I can't rig something up here. Thanks.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:17 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by miriam
Billy I have some Touch & Sew manuals if you are interested.
Miriam are you being funny? Are you serious? I don't think Billy cares for those Touch and Throws!

Nancy
Billy posted that he's trying to amass the largest collection of manuals, so he can eventually offer them on his future online website....it's in the classifieds...
Charlee I know, but I really think Miriam is being tongue in cheek funny! Anyway, I took it that she was being funny - maybe not!

Nancy
I have a whole hand full of those and they ain't comic books....