Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-30-2011, 07:16 PM

It has taken some work just to stay up to date on here. Much less read all the pages before I joined, WOW, I might not live that long, LOL

Originally Posted by emmah
Originally Posted by valleyquiltermo
Thanks ever so much I didn't have a clue what it took. Your a treasure for helping me.
Donna

Originally Posted by emmah
Originally Posted by valleyquiltermo
Would anyone have resources for bobbins for a 99K singer machine? Thanks in advance for your help. Donna
It takes class 66 bobbins, available at walmart, JoAnns or anywhere sewing stuff is sold. Get the metal ones, not the plastic ones.
That is what we do on this site...help each other out. Anyone could get a college degree in vintage sewing machines by reading all the postings!
Old 10-30-2011, 07:22 PM
Banned

Valley there are lots of pages and I would hate to know I had to read them all over again! I have gone back to random page numbers just to see what was the hot topic then and I ran into a lot of neat things that I forgotten about. Lots of good photos and information indeed. I had no idea that this shop would have taken off like it has and I am really happy that everyone likes to come in and hang out with all of us!

Remember this is your shop and your always considered family and welcome anytime!!

Billy
Old 10-30-2011, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
I just got a Necchi Supernova BU. I got it rewired and running, but haven't sewn with it yet. It has all these cam attachments and feet in the neatest accessory case. Wondered if anyone knows anything about this machine?

Texas Jan
Yes, I grew up learning to sew on a Necchi Supernova that looked exactly like this one. I only got to play with a couple of the cams once. I mainly sewed dresses and skirts with the Necchi. So, I can't help you with the cams. It was my mom's machine and she wouldn't let me play with the cams. She had the Supernova from the time that Supernova came out until she decided to buy the new Bernina 830 when it came out. The Necchi was still running very well when she gave it to another woman needing a sewing machine. I liked the Necchi, but I have to agree with my mom that the Bernina stitches better.

I really would need to play with the machine to recall how the machine operates ( been a very very long time).

If one's interests are just straight stitching and piecing, the Singers work beautifully, and I'm very impressed with the Singer 201 and Singer VS2 stitching over the Necchi. Don't get me wrong, Necchi Supernovas are beautiful machines, much better than a Singer 328 which I own, but I like the stitching and how easy it is to repair a Singer.

Enjoy! Great machine! Great find!
Old 10-30-2011, 07:27 PM

Thanks Billy you have been in my prayers ever since I heard about you back when you took the snake bite.
I have been trying to read all the pages and still stay up to date wow, there is a lot of pages, LOL
I need a manual for my 99K do you have one?

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Valley there are lots of pages and I would hate to know I had to read them all over again! I have gone back to random page numbers just to see what was the hot topic then and I ran into a lot of neat things that I forgotten about. Lots of good photos and information indeed. I had no idea that this shop would have taken off like it has and I am really happy that everyone likes to come in and hang out with all of us!

Remember this is your shop and your always considered family and welcome anytime!!

Billy
Old 10-30-2011, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Bennett
Billy--thanks, I may have to jot that down too to remember.

Charlee--My part time job is in a hardware store, so I may hit the fastener section tomorrow when I go in and see if something will work.

I was able to get it smoothed out some with one of the little sanding drums on a rotary tool, but I was kind of afraid to take too much off in case I couldn't get another one. I wonder if putting a rubber band around it might help? Just kind of thinking out loud...

Thanks for all the help y'all!
William paid something like 13 cents for the rubber part...just cut off the original and worked the new one on... :) If you don't find one, I can send out the extra I have...does your friction wheel also run your bobbin winder? (I'm too lazy to go back and look! :lol: )
Old 10-30-2011, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Bennett
Ok, really did nothing I should have this weekend (except mow). Instead, the White Embossed FR is done. She sews, although she rocks all over the place if you let loose! Without the motor, fine...motor alone, fine...altogether, better not go too fast!

I don't really name my machines, but she may be just have to be Cookie. :)
Beautiful machine, Bennett!! I've not seen one like that.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:17 PM

I have been working on my Davis since late afternoon. I took a bunch of pics during the process.

Before
[ATTACH=CONFIG]280059[/ATTACH]

Bobbin Winder Before
[ATTACH=CONFIG]280062[/ATTACH]

Cleaning the Faceplate
[ATTACH=CONFIG]280063[/ATTACH]

Bobbin Winder Cleaned
[ATTACH=CONFIG]280068[/ATTACH]

Shuttle Cover & Throat plate cleaned
[ATTACH=CONFIG]280071[/ATTACH]

Before
[ATTACH=CONFIG]280073[/ATTACH]

All Done!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]280075[/ATTACH]

All the Attachments I got with Her
[ATTACH=CONFIG]280078[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-280006.jpe   attachment-280009.jpe   attachment-280010.jpe   attachment-280015.jpe   attachment-280018.jpe  

attachment-280020.jpe   attachment-280021.jpe   attachment-280022.jpe   attachment-280025.jpe  
Old 10-30-2011, 08:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jljack
I have been working on my Davis since late afternoon. I took a bunch of pics during the process.
Looking good!!!

Before long you will be making a quilt on it. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Billy
Old 10-30-2011, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by jljack
Looking good!!!

Before long you will be making a quilt on it. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Billy
Thanks, Billy. It was fun to do. I used Barkeepers Friend to clean all the metal. It worked like magic!! Think I'll put some Turtle Wax on her to help keep the finish intact. It's pretty bad, and I don't want it to deteriorate any further.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-280027.jpe  
Old 10-30-2011, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
Well my Hubby was at it again yesterday. Went to an estate auction and found this machine. He calls her Frankie and just couldn't leave her. So she is a Franklin and her decals are in really good shape. The cabinet is good except for some pieces missing around two drawer knobs. Which we have extra so can be fixed. The cabinet is solid oak no veneer. Needs a good cleaning but she sews like a dream I have already tried her out.I was sewing straight lines with her and told Hubby to try her out and he sewed a circle around my lines. So he says she can sew circles around any of our other ladies.
I can't keep him away from any auction that says "old" sewing machine in cabinet.
Well here are some of her pictures before cleaning. Too darn cold right now to do that. Were out in the snow yesterday to get her. (She uses a 15X1 needle which is good) Don't know her birthday tho. :-( Need help with that.

Nice machine, Trish!!