Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-24-2011, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
Originally Posted by Charlee
That's terrific Jan! Congrats on the ribbon, are you going to post pics? :)
Forgot to attach the pictures. this is a needle turn, hand quilted quilt 65 x 70". Took about a year to do. I got so tired of looking at it. No more large quilts for me.

Texas Jan
Very nice--that did take a lot of patience! Congrats on your ribbon.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:37 PM

Celeste, it looks to me like a 99, from 1928. (skip the "0")

The 66 and 99 can both go treadle, altho the 99 will be difficult (you'll have to adapt the cabinet to fit) To handcrank either of them, they have to have the spoked wheel. Not a real biggie, you can always change the handwheel out! :)
Old 10-24-2011, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by mpeters1200
Quick Question...

I know there are a lot of clones of the 15 out there. Are they just as good as the Singer 15's? I am just trying to keep a look out for a 15 so I can FMQ on it. I've read here in the shop that it's easier to FMQ on the 15's than the 66's...but I haven't tried either for myself yet.

So you VSM owners that have both reg and clone 15's, what are your opinions?

Thank you,

Melissa
They are GREAT machines! Watch to make sure the dogs drop tho, some don't.
That's the problem I have with the 66. The dogs don't drop. The VSMG I got explained that you just unscrew them and take them off. I'm so GLAD that I talked about it here first. I don't know who was first to post what a bad idea that would be, I think I had 12 or 13 responses with instructions NOT to do that, so I didn't. Thanks to a singer parts site posted here, I'll be able to get a darning plate for it. Course, I'll have to get a FMQ foot for it too and I need a new bobbin case for my mom's FW before I can get her going. I know NIL about any machine, let alone these vintage ones, so I'm still learning. Someone I trust that owns the same FW I have looked at it. She's always done her own maintenance and repair on her FW and her's sews like a dream. She says nothings wrong with it except the bobbin case is missing. I don't know how that happened, but it did so now I have to replace it.

I know there is a 15-90 and a 15-91. I think the 91 is the one people talk about here at the shop all the time. Is the difference that one is electric and one isn't? And if I understand your response right, some of the clones are good at FMQ, but not all drop the dogs, correct?

I don't know if I'd recognize a 15 clone if it fell on my foot, but I've spent tons of time reading through all 1750 pages, but I started back before we hit the 1000 mark. Then there are 25 pages, I think, on the VSMS photo thread and drooling over all those machines. I'm probably still a year or two out from acquiring a 15. I think hubby would have a stroke if I came home with a 4th. I have a little janome I piece with now. I'll probably switch to the FW once I get her going. Then the 66 for straight stitch quilting. Hoping to try FMQ on it before I find a 15, but who knows what will happen between now and then.

Certainly emptying my change in my jug every night so I can save up for her! Took me 13 months of change to save up for the 66, but that wasn't a planned purchase. That was my quilting budget for the whole darn year!

At least while I wait I am learning all I can here about the machines I have already. I will be finished with the last top for my christmas projects by Tuesday of next week, so I'll have a ton of time to practice on the 66 the straight line quilting since that's what I bought her for. I'm so excited! :)
Old 10-24-2011, 07:24 PM

Quick Question...

I know there are a lot of clones of the 15 out there. Are they just as good as the Singer 15's? I am just trying to keep a look out for a 15 so I can FMQ on it. I've read here in the shop that it's easier to FMQ on the 15's than the 66's...but I haven't tried either for myself yet.

Thank you,

Melissa
That's the problem I have with the 66. The dogs don't drop. The VSMG I got explained that you just unscrew them and take them off. I'm so GLAD that I talked about it here first. I don't know who was first to post what a bad idea that would be, I think I had 12 or 13 responses with instructions NOT to do that, so I didn't. Thanks to a singer parts site posted here, I'll be able to get a darning plate for it. Course, I'll have to get a FMQ foot for it too and I need a new bobbin case for my mom's FW before I can get her going. I know NIL about any machine, let alone these vintage ones, so I'm still learning. Someone I trust that owns the same FW I have looked at it. She's always done her own maintenance and repair on her FW and her's sews like a dream. She says nothings wrong with it except the bobbin case is missing. I don't know how that happened, but it did so now I have to replace it.

I know there is a 15-90 and a 15-91. I think the 91 is the one people talk about here at the shop all the time. Is the difference that one is electric and one isn't? And if I understand your response right, some of the clones are good at FMQ, but not all drop the dogs, correct?

I don't know if I'd recognize a 15 clone if it fell on my foot, but I've spent tons of time reading through all 1750 pages, but I started back before we hit the 1000 mark. Then there are 25 pages, I think, on the VSMS photo thread and drooling over all those machines. I'm probably still a year or two out from acquiring a 15. I think hubby would have a stroke if I came home with a 4th. I have a little janome I piece with now. I'll probably switch to the FW once I get her going. Then the 66 for straight stitch quilting. Hoping to try FMQ on it before I find a 15, but who knows what will happen between now and then.

Certainly emptying my change in my jug every night so I can save up for her! Took me 13 months of change to save up for the 66, but that wasn't a planned purchase. That was my quilting budget for the whole darn year!

At least while I wait I am learning all I can here about the machines I have already. I will be finished with the last top for my christmas projects by Tuesday of next week, so I'll have a ton of time to practice on the 66 the straight line quilting since that's what I bought her for. I'm so excited! :)
Your excitement is contagious! :)

The difference between the 15-90 and th 15-91 is that the 90 has a mounted motor attached to the back of the machine and is "belt driven". The 91 is "gear driven" and has a "potted motor" attached on the back of the machine. A potted motor is one that looks like it's covered with a little black "pot"...and it's integral to the machine, not easily changed out like a "belt motor" would be.
You'll find the FW to be a dream to piece with, altho it's pretty lightweight and a full top can get awkward to handle with it. The 66 would be both a good piecer and straight line quilter. Glenn covers the feeddogs on his and free motions with it.

You'll be surprised. You'll go to a yard sale, or a thrift store and your 15 is going to be sitting there with a $10 price tag on it! ;) You'll recognise the clones too...they have the "old" shape, not necessarily the black color tho, and that tension knob is going to be on the faceplate as it is with all of the model 15's!
Old 10-24-2011, 07:51 PM

Quick Question...

Thank you,

Melissa

Your excitement is contagious! :)

The difference between the 15-90 and th 15-91 is that the 90 has a mounted motor attached to the back of the machine and is "belt driven". The 91 is "gear driven" and has a "potted motor" attached on the back of the machine. A potted motor is one that looks like it's covered with a little black "pot"...and it's integral to the machine, not easily changed out like a "belt motor" would be.
You'll find the FW to be a dream to piece with, altho it's pretty lightweight and a full top can get awkward to handle with it. The 66 would be both a good piecer and straight line quilter. Glenn covers the feeddogs on his and free motions with it.

You'll be surprised. You'll go to a yard sale, or a thrift store and your 15 is going to be sitting there with a $10 price tag on it! ;) You'll recognise the clones too...they have the "old" shape, not necessarily the black color tho, and that tension knob is going to be on the faceplate as it is with all of the model 15's!
Charlee is right; you can find a 15 clone all day long. There are always some at www.shopgoodwill.com, and they are not expensive at all usually. I have a rainbow of them and love them all. I grew up in a financially challenged home and we had non-Singer machines until I was grown. And my dad bought me a Singer Touch n Sew that I sewed up in a couple of years, and the clone I learned on is still sewing 45 years later. Good luck on your search. The clones have the tension assembly on the nose of the machine and have the darn/sew setting and are similar to this usually.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-276673.jpe  
Old 10-24-2011, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Celeste
Here's another question. I'm trying to identify a Singer they think is a 99. They told me the serial number is AC058620. Looking at the ISMACs list, I see AC, but the first number is,of course, 1! Can anyone help me with that?

I think I remember seeing a 66 and 99 can go either tredle or turned into a handcrank?
http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mach...l-numbers.html

On this page you see the number 1-49,999 and on the next line is the 50,001 to 65,000 Singer 99 and the run started Feb. 1, 1928. Your number AC 058,620 is in this listing. They just threw you off by not putting the zero in front of your numbers. My 99 is in that same group!!! We have sister machines. Is yours one with the bentwood case and the knee control too?
Old 10-24-2011, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Janis
Originally Posted by Celeste
Here's another question. I'm trying to identify a Singer they think is a 99. They told me the serial number is AC058620. Looking at the ISMACs list, I see AC, but the first number is,of course, 1! Can anyone help me with that?

I think I remember seeing a 66 and 99 can go either tredle or turned into a handcrank?
http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mach...l-numbers.html

On this page you see the number 1-49,999 and on the next line is the 50,001 to 65,000 Singer 99 and the run started Feb. 1, 1928. Your number AC 058,620 is in this listing. They just threw you off by not putting the zero in front of your numbers. My 99 is in that same group!!! We have sister machines. Is yours one with the bentwood case and the knee control too?
Yes, that 0 really threw me off. Thank you.

And Charlee, thank you too!!!

I am just trying to find out about this machine, to see if I'm interested or not. Better find out about the case! I'd like to be able to have one I can treadle or hand crank.

Oh, and Bennett, thank you for that link!
Old 10-25-2011, 01:18 AM

Thanks Glenn, Charlee for the info on shuttles. I haven't really started looking yet for a shuttle for a Domestic and a Damascus. Any ideas on where I can get info on either one of these machines? Thanks in advance to all.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:44 AM
Power Poster

cocked needle bar

I do not see any needle bar adjustment screw
[ATTACH=CONFIG]276792[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-276739.jpe  
Old 10-25-2011, 04:55 AM

The adjustment is from the backside, under the arm, the hole behind the needle bar, needle bar has to be aligned with the hole. Wait for Glen to say how to make the adjustment. b/c I don't know.

Originally Posted by miriam
cocked needle bar