Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-31-2011, 05:19 PM

Update on the W&W CL's machine: Yes, I went and looked and bought both the W&W (#9) and the White Rotary. Cabinet for the W&W is rough as in missing both drawers but had the coffin top and the belt was intact so I could play with it a little. The White Rotary is in good shape but the treadle pedal didn't move very freely. I could get it to move down but not back up again. Maybe rust and neglect or just needing some oiling or all 3. I also got attachments for the White and maybe for the W&W but I don't honestly know about the 2nd box of attachments. She also had a 3rd machine - a vintage Kenmore in a lovely cabinet. It came with bobbins (lots), attachments and a button holer. Yes, that one followed me home too. Paid $20 apiece for the machines. Now to get them into the house and perhaps somewhat hidden before DH and DD's get home. I will post pictures when I get them out of the van and try to get serial #s and such for all of them. As usual, none came with a manual but got a lot of old buttons and spools of thread so it's an even trade. The lady was just happy they were going to someone who would appreciate them. I cannot believe I was the only caller about them. ~ Chris

Update: Got them into the garage but need to tell DH about them before he finds them and wonders why I needed 3 more machines. I do have the vintage affliction but don't want the cure (if it exists.) Also, the house is being cleaned out and included a storage shed so if any more sewing items are found, I am the 1st one to be called.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by deplaylady
immediately spotted a poor neglected sewing machine on the ground. As I was looking it over, being the last day, the woman offered it to me as a door stop or garden ornament - just take it away.
That sure is a pretty machine. You can see how wonderful the decals are under all of that dirt. It should clean up wonderfully!!!
:thumbup:
Old 07-31-2011, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Candace
Originally Posted by buslady
You say "addiction" like it's a bad thing. LOL
Yes, if I had a shrink ray to make these machines smaller I could hide them easier!
You don't need a shrink ray Candace, you need MORE machines! That way the guys don't even notice a new one! :lol:
Old 07-31-2011, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by BrandyMcCoy
I need to go digging around in my hubbies garage to find some cleaners. The decals are in near perfect condition:)
Sewing machine oil will clean it up and won't damage the decals. I put some on my fingers and just gently rub it around, let it set for awhile and then gently take it off with a soft rag.

She sure is a beauty!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-31-2011, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Yes, if I had a shrink ray to make these machines smaller I could hide them easier!
You don't need a shrink ray Candace, you need MORE machines! That way the guys don't even notice a new one! :lol:
This is true!! My kids didn't notice that I had another black featherweight because when they saw it they just thought it was the first one. :mrgreen:
Old 07-31-2011, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Good point, Charlee!
Old 07-31-2011, 05:55 PM

I got my first antique singer! Now I just have to find out who to take her to get re-wired and we will be good to go. Can I use my low shank walking foot and darning foot on her? Oh and she's missing the little knob on the front that you adjust when you change the stitch length i think? is this going to make it so she won't work for me? Can you see that the little knob is missing on the front? i didn't know anything about it when I bought her this afternoon. Oh and I got her for $60 cuz i knew I was going to have to re-wire her.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-234609.jpe  
Old 07-31-2011, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by wannaquilt1
I got my first antique singer! Oh and she's missing the little knob on the front that you adjust when you change the stitch length i think? is this going to make it so she won't work for me? Can you see that the little knob is missing on the front?
That's a pretty 201 you have there!! Check with Billy (Lostin51) and he may have the part that is missing. Oh, BTW....this might be your first antique Singer but it won't be your last...heehee! There are a bunch of enablers on this forum and pretty soon you will find yourself searching Craigslist and yard sales for your next "find" --especially when you see all of the beauties that are out there!!
Old 07-31-2011, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
Billy, will the aftermarket ones only work on Singer brands with a motor mount?? I was hoping to HC an old White Rotary, but not sure that will work.

Texas Jan
They need to have the machine boss on the rear of the pillar like the Singers had but many machines both Japanese and American had them.

Billy
I was hoping to do my 66 red eye for a HC. You said that the boss was on the back, mine is on the side under the hand wheel. Will it still work on this machine?
Old 07-31-2011, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by lee231
Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
Billy, will the aftermarket ones only work on Singer brands with a motor mount?? I was hoping to HC an old White Rotary, but not sure that will work.

Texas Jan
They need to have the machine boss on the rear of the pillar like the Singers had but many machines both Japanese and American had them.

Billy
I was hoping to do my 66 red eye for a HC. You said that the boss was on the back, mine is on the side under the hand wheel. Will it still work on this machine?
Yes, I think that's what Billy meant by "back"... :) (At least that's where all of my "eligible machines" bosses are)