Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-31-2011, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by deplaylady
I took a detour home after church today and followed a garage sale signs. there was a street sale - nothing looked too interesting in my drive by - until I saw a house that had some older stuff out front and the promise of more in the back. Well, I probably should have stayed in the car, but, I got out and immediately spotted a poor neglected sewing machine on the ground. As I was looking it over, being the last day, the woman offered it to me as a door stop or garden ornament - just take it away. I felt bad for it so it followed me home. The wheel turns freely and the needle goes up and down. It's missing its shuttle, here is is uncleaned. I'll clean it up, but it won't go in the garden. If I can find a shuttle and a bobbin, I'll stick a hand crank on it - if that is even possible.
That is a nice looking machine. I am sure that when you get through with it, it will look brand new. Kathie
Old 07-31-2011, 11:46 AM

I felt bad for it so it followed me home. The wheel turns freely and the needle goes up and down. It's missing its shuttle, here is is uncleaned. I'll clean it up, but it won't go in the garden. If I can find a shuttle and a bobbin, I'll stick a hand crank on it - if that is even possible.
According to my Boye list, your machine takes a Boye #10 needle and a #9 shuttle. Perhaps Cindy Peters or Sew Classic has them.
Tommie
Old 07-31-2011, 11:46 AM

Just to be sure- my 15-91 does not have numbers 0-9 on the tension dial just a -/+. So am I correct in assuming - is 0 and + is 9? The 15-91 manual I have talks about 0-9....
Old 07-31-2011, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by nickylsf
I had to go to a neighboring town yesterday for a medical screening, so checked the local Craigslist before going. Look what I found, and had time to pick up before my appointment? They were asking $250 and took $150. It is so pretty and feels so solid! It was frozen when I first started working on it, but I oiled it and it started running very smoothly.

I am having a bit of trouble with the tension, it sews good stitches with the top at 7 and I want it to be at 4. I have fiddled with the bottom tension but need to work on it some more. Intermittently the top thread is too loose, with loops on the back. Maybe 7 is okay on the top, just seems high.

I can't wait to piece something with it!
Good deal, Nicky!! It looks just like my 301! The tensioner on these seems to be a typical issue...mine is dialed all the way down to 0, and it's still a little tight. My DH needs to take it apart and re-install it. We had to put a whole new one on, because the original one had a spring that was DOA. But I just LOVE my little Miss Ida....she stitches like a banshee!!! LOL
Old 07-31-2011, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
I took a detour home after church today and followed a garage sale signs. there was a street sale - nothing looked too interesting in my drive by - until I saw a house that had some older stuff out front and the promise of more in the back. Well, I probably should have stayed in the car, but, I got out and immediately spotted a poor neglected sewing machine on the ground. As I was looking it over, being the last day, the woman offered it to me as a door stop or garden ornament - just take it away. I felt bad for it so it followed me home. The wheel turns freely and the needle goes up and down. It's missing its shuttle, here is is uncleaned. I'll clean it up, but it won't go in the garden. If I can find a shuttle and a bobbin, I'll stick a hand crank on it - if that is even possible.
I like it !! Send a picture showing the wheel end and I can tell you if I think It can be hand cranked.

Texas Jan
If you do it will not be an after market one, it will be one from the original manufacturer.

Billy
Here it is- in all it's dusty,rusty glory.

wheel end
[ATTACH=CONFIG]234474[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-234468.jpe  
Old 07-31-2011, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by tomilu
I felt bad for it so it followed me home. The wheel turns freely and the needle goes up and down. It's missing its shuttle, here is is uncleaned. I'll clean it up, but it won't go in the garden. If I can find a shuttle and a bobbin, I'll stick a hand crank on it - if that is even possible.
According to my Boye list, your machine takes a Boye #10 needle and a #9 shuttle. Perhaps Cindy Peters or Sew Classic has them.
Tommie
Thanks - and there's a list for these things?
Old 07-31-2011, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
If your in the St Louis area here is an awesome deal on a 301 and not just any 301!

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/fuo/2521208629.html

Billy
I do like the mocha paint scheme. But I like my black one the most! :-)
Old 07-31-2011, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Launie
Just to be sure- my 15-91 does not have numbers 0-9 on the tension dial just a -/+. So am I correct in assuming - is 0 and + is 9? The 15-91 manual I have talks about 0-9....
Correct! :) The "+" is to increase the tension...
Old 07-31-2011, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
I like it !! Send a picture showing the wheel end and I can tell you if I think It can be hand cranked.

Texas Jan
What a great looking old lady!!! Glad you rescued her, and can't wait to see her when you get her cleaned up.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:39 PM

It sure looks like a 319. Thanks for the link. Those weird typewriter keys on the top are very interesting! I guess this is one of those models that never really took off since you just don't see them? Anyone own one?[/quote]

I have one and I love it, it's very uniques and does tons of decorative stitches. Does need different needles, however and the manual is a novel!
Jane