Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-12-2011, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by tomilu
Originally Posted by Candace
Originally Posted by lovelyl
Originally Posted by Candace
I just put in an offer on a Singer 319W. Green one:> We'll see if it'll be coming home with me tomorrow....
Ouch! I was thinking about bidding on that one on ebay, but will defer to you! Don't want to fight with a fellow quilter!!!! I hope you get it so I can enjoy it vicariously through you! I also have my eye on a 328... :thumbup:
No, I put in an offer on a local one...$40. We'll see if they accept. The one on ebay is too much for me!
319s are great machines. I cleaned one up a few years ago that had been in one of those white plastic cases and in a very damp environment. It was literally dripping rust. Took forever to get it running again. I hope you both find one.
I'm leaving now to get it!!
Old 08-12-2011, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Weedwoman
Originally Posted by miriam
Well, it isn't poison ivy but Virginia Creeper that's all over me. It responds to nothing. Dr. says it is a whole lot more intense than PI. And we do have it all over the yard... I've never had anything like this. DH has it too. We have never been into Round Up but I'm thinking we will give it a sporting chance. I just figured it was poison ivy since it is also all over the yard. There was even a vine of PI growing in the living room window. See my blog. If I could I would sew - too much misery. LOL
Miriam, having worked for the county's noxious weed dept. (hence the name weedwoman) I know that roundup (which is a trade name and you can get generic cheaper, it's called glyphosate) but we had ppl deal with PI and they had to spray with Tordon, which is a restricted chemical, and then they had to cut the PI and treat the stumps to totally get rid of it. Talk to your local extension agent or to your county noxious weed man and see what they recommend to help you out.
The only way I know to kill poison ivy plants is to cut the vines to the ground and then soak the stumps with old gasoline. Wear old pants, long sleeved shirt and gloves and don't smoke while pouring on the gasoline. Do NOT burn the vines as the smoke from the burning carries the PI oil around on the breeze. Most of the commercial weed killer preps are so weak that they wouldn't hurt a fly so don't waste your money. As we live in the country we have learned where the PI is most prevalent and steer clear of those areas. Dogs are not allowed off-leash because you just know that they'll find a patch and roll in it, bringing the oil back on their coats. What always surprised me was that the horses would eat the plants while we would be out trail riding and never have after effects .... yuk!
Old 08-12-2011, 12:35 PM

Poor little White 221K - 4 hours to go, $62.30. Peeling paint
http://cgi.ebay.com/170677809736
Old 08-12-2011, 12:35 PM

i havea 301 i love it i found a zig zag part but ineed the disks to go whith it any aviable? suzieQ
Old 08-12-2011, 01:03 PM

This is way off topic, but I just have to share with those that garden. :)

http://i.imgur.com/RhYTE.jpg
Old 08-12-2011, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by deplaylady
That one looks like a machine for Billy!!!
Old 08-12-2011, 01:06 PM

Billy, You need to add more to your blogspot. I love the purple!!!!
Old 08-12-2011, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
This is way off topic, but I just have to share with those that garden. :)

http://i.imgur.com/RhYTE.jpg
Ok, me and my 5 yr old think these two are hilarious!
Old 08-12-2011, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by deplaylady
That looks like aluminum rot, which is bad news. Now for someone who wants to repaint, it's not a bad deal.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:38 PM

The tension unit on my 15-91 only adjust from '0 to about 4'. Is there a way to take it apart and see what is going on inside?