Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-11-2011, 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by dirty1mom
I have a 185J that's supposed to arrive on Friday from shopgoodwill.com. I'm hoping that it arrives all in one piece. I can't wait to look up the date and sew on it. Glad to hear it comes apart easily for cleaning.
I am glad someone here got that machine! I had a long argument with myself about bidding on it, but I have my eye on another machine.
Me too. (I'm glad you got it Betty!!!) I'm just up to my eyeballs in poison ivy. This is now the third time this summer. AND I broke my baby toe. AND I have extra work I'm suppose to do.[/quote]

Good Lord, Woman! What are you doing wrong right now? Poison ivy for the third time (you know you can become super sensitive to that stuff and it will put you in the hospital) and now a broken pinky. One must be more careful of one's body - it has to last you awhile! :roll:
Old 08-11-2011, 04:48 AM

This is a bad pic of the 99K I picked up last Thursday evening, along with it's jewelry. Nice little cabinet, nothing special, but in great shape. The 99K tag is missing from the machine, but other than that not bad for $40.00.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-239931.jpe   attachment-239932.jpe  
Old 08-11-2011, 04:51 AM

Nice little 99K! I hope you enjoy her.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by Quilt Mom
I will let you know next week. I am planning on sewing this weekend - I don't care if there are others things to do - I AM sewing!
Old 08-11-2011, 05:34 AM

I will let you know next week. I am planning on sewing this weekend - I don't care if there are others things to do - I AM sewing!
You go :thumbup: :lol:
Old 08-11-2011, 06:11 AM

Have fun sewing. I got my 99K because I thought it was pretty (loved the bent wood case) and I liked the knee thingie. I thought I was going to just keep it mostly for display - until I sewed with it! Man - does it sew nice! Oh - and don't be afraid of that zig zagger - I love mine! Once you get the settings right it really cool!
Old 08-11-2011, 06:11 AM

Oh! Thank you so much for clarification.
I would love to find a nice red eye with regular bobbin in a treadle, so I wouldn't have to worry about a special needle. Both of the old treadles that I have require a special needles.

[quote=Miz Johnny]Not Glenn, but no, the 206 x 13 is for the 206/306/319/320 machines.

HOWEVER, my original point (before I threw in the ps on 206 needles) is that 20 x 1 needles are STILL available. You might have to do a bit of hunting, but it will be a lot cheaper than buying them on EBAY!!

Originally Posted by BZ quilting
Glenn, is that the same as the 20X1??

Originally Posted by Glenn
Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
http://www.sewshop.com/Singer_Indust...4189-2182.html

http://www.sewingshop.com/singerindu...dles-20x1.aspx

I haven't personally bought from either of these sites, but these are the ones that pop up on a brief search. I would search until I got the best price. (And of course, post it to all your friends!)

Also, according to the ISMACS needle info, it's often possible to get a 15 x 1 to work in a machine originally designed for 20 x 1 just by cheating the needle down a bit.

I've also noticed that there are places "out there" to buy the 206 x 13 needles by the hundred. I was under the impression they were being phased out?

Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by BZ quilting
Originally Posted by CharleeIsn't this bunch the greatest? I just bought some 20x1 needles on ebay for Mamie (New Florence)...they aren't cheap, but I *really* want to USE this machine![/quote

Did you get more than you need? I have been looking and looking for some for my Minnesota and have not been able to find them. I only have one needle and am so afraid of breaking it. If you do have a couple extra I would love to buy them.

Thanks
Bev
Bev, I was only able to get six needles, BUT!! I am going to go see the local SM "repair" guy (in quotes because his talents are questionable!!) and if I'm not mistaken, he's got a box or two in the back room...if he does, do you want me to get you some?
allbrand.com sells 206X13 100 for about $49. Pam at the Toga gave me this info.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:39 AM

Good Day fellow collectors! I had my Elna Supermatic out over the weekend and tried to clean her up so I could sew with it. It seems quite loud. The internal parts are run by a belt that reminds me of the track off a snowmobile. We thought that might be where the noise was coming from. Anyone here have an Elna Supermatic that does or does not sound loud and "tappy". Also, as I got trying to get it to sew, I noticed the bobbin, I believe it's what we call the "hook race" was not moving to pick up the bobbin thread. I cannot figure out how to get that part apart to see what is going on there. A pc of what looked like plastic gear was in the bottom of the machine and I am thinking that is the problem. Any suggestions, or should I take it to a repair shop, or just trash it? Thanks for the help.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:43 AM

I have been away from the cafe for a few days. Does anyone know what has happened to the wonderful Singer site where you could look up most vintage machines by their serial number to find what they are and when they were commissioned to be built? That same site all looks different now and I couldn't find the usual info I had been so used to locating. Thanks.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by buslady
Good Day fellow collectors! I had my Elna Supermatic out over the weekend and tried to clean her up so I could sew with it. It seems quite loud. The internal parts are run by a belt that reminds me of the track off a snowmobile. We thought that might be where the noise was coming from. Anyone here have an Elna Supermatic that does or does not sound loud and "tappy". Also, as I got trying to get it to sew, I noticed the bobbin, I believe it's what we call the "hook race" was not moving to pick up the bobbin thread. I cannot figure out how to get that part apart to see what is going on there. A pc of what looked like plastic gear was in the bottom of the machine and I am thinking that is the problem. Any suggestions, or should I take it to a repair shop, or just trash it? Thanks for the help.
If it sounds "thumpy" you may need a new friction pulley. A very common thing for the old Elnas.