Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-03-2011, 02:16 PM

I am the new owner of a 99K! $40 from CL - I posted pictures in my other topic I started yesterday. I'm going to need a new cord, but I am tempted to put a crank on it. Not sure how hard it would be or if it makes sense. I guess I'm going to have to start naming machines - I have a FW coming home next week, too.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Suzi
Please point me towards arachnesobsession's website (sounds like she is a spider fan .... ;o). This is quite interesting because even though these machines were sold through Sears and made in Japan nobody ever stated what the parent company would be - it was assumed it was Singer because they sure do look like a Singer. Thank you for your research ...........
No, the Japanese clones where made by several companies, but not Singer. Singer never badged a machine - if the machine was made by Singer it always says Singer on the machine. The clones are modeled after Singer's Model 15 and Model 99. Records were not kept on who made most of these machines. All the machines say is "made in Japan," or like one of mine "made in Occupied Japan," or have a "JA" stamped into the bottom of the machines. Large retailers purchased the machines and put their company names on them, i.e., Sears, Wards, Macy's, Gimballs, etc.. The Japanese used American sounding names for the machines to appeal to us, some had automobile names, female names, and patriotic names. They made theses machines in metallic blue, green, pink, yellow, and fire engine red, and of course black. They were advertised as extremely rare Mitsubishi, Ford, Saxon, Stitch Queen, etc., but the same machines could have dozens of different names.

If the machine is a copy of Singer's model 15 or 99, it is a clone. I hope this clarifies this for some of you. Again, Singer did not badge machines, White, Davis, etc., did badge machines along with most of the bigger companies, but not Singer- if Singer made the machine they had the Singer name, emblem on the machine.
Nancy
Old 06-03-2011, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Minnesota newbie
Anyone know much about 31-15 singer I picked it up today.runs great,have to get manual for this one also.This is an addiction getting these old machines.Ha AG489603 came with taable that holds motor,machine,thread holder,wide foot pedal and on/off switch
I think Billy got a 31 for doing FM work. The 31's are industrial machines, larger than a domestic model. Can you post a picture for us to see? I'd love to see the machine.

Nancy
Old 06-03-2011, 02:35 PM

Here is Kathie's newest machine.

A beautiful White!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-206182.jpe  
Old 06-03-2011, 02:50 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by miriam
That one jarred me to thinking.... I have an old black sewing machine around here somewhere - it was my neighbor's. When she moved to an assisted living I got it. It was an old Sears from early 1940's. It was a wedding present from her DH. She never did learn to use it. I've been saving it for DGD who is named after her. I should dig it out and move it a bit. Maybe sew something. I'm thinking last I knew it needed rewiring. Just sitting around isn't so good for those old machines. Maybe it won't be too hard to re-wire. It has an owners manual and a bunch of empty bobbins.
I got her working just fine. NO LIGHT!!! Changed out the electric cord with new and it seems safer. She purrs - barely makes noise. This machine looks and sews like it came off the delivery truck brand new. I know my neighbor NEVER learned to use it. She had an old treadle and wouldn't touch the electric. I have the manual - it says made in Japan. I've had this machine put away for a good 10 years. (I have a Consew walking foot I use for anything heavy so didn't need this machine so much) I wanted to save it for the GD who says she doesn't want it - but she is only 10 - what does she know - I forgot I had the Commander and gave GD a Singer 404 to learn on. Maybe when she is older...

I can take the face plate off and change it with an old machine I have setting around that is missing the tension.
It needs to be cleaned - it doesn't turn right now - the wheel goes but the machine doesn't turn. Too much to do - the garden needs to get more attention than the sewing machines.

I don't even know how many machines I have - I need to have a yard sale or something...
Old 06-03-2011, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Suzi
Amazing ----- and I just found this quote on another blog about the Sears' machines: "For 20 years, from 1938 to 1958, the White Sewing Machine Company produced every Kenmore sewing machine. Since then, Sears has contracted with different manufacturers to make its sewing machines, mostly for economic reasons." HA! How 'bout that ..... learn something new every day!
Yep, lots of companies made the Sears machines.

Suzi, all this talk about clones or not clones is getting to be so funny! You guys have really nice machines, clones or not! Clones are a good thing not a bad thing. I have two clones I love, one is a Morse 15 clone pictured on page 929 here, the other one is an American 99 clone pictured on page 898 - I will post another picture -- the machine is fine now that we fixed it!

I am down to 32 machines -I just counted, that is after giving my DIL one, my SIL one, hospice one, and a DGD one!

Nancy
Old 06-03-2011, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles

A beautiful White!
Thank you, Nancy. I owe you another candy bar. What is your favorite? Kathie
Old 06-03-2011, 03:09 PM

I am down to 32 machines -I just counted, that is after giving my DIL one, my SIL one, hospice one, and a DGD one!

Nancy[/quote]

Keep giving Nancy, so I can catch up with you. :D Kathie
Old 06-03-2011, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles

A beautiful White!
Very nice !!!!
Old 06-03-2011, 03:15 PM

I still can't find a good hand crank. One more.. just one more.