Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1608 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 608 1108 1508 1558 1598 1607 1608 1609 1618 1658 1708 ... LastLast
Results 40,176 to 40,200 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

  1. #40176
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    507
    I have one of those on my wish list. They're just so cute!

  2. #40177
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Jersey Shore
    Posts
    528
    Muv...it looks great!!!

  3. #40178
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Englewood, CO
    Posts
    530

  4. #40179
    Super Member vintagemotif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,971
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Muv View Post
    Remember the Willcox and Gibbs I showed you months ago? Here it is - I finished the clean up yesterday and got it stitching. I love it. I've had another look at the picture of Nancy's W&G treadle because I remember her saying that the W&G is good for decorative stitching. It's a really neat chain stitch.
    Muv, That's a gorgeous machine!

  5. #40180
    Super Member SteveH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    San Lorenzo, CA
    Posts
    5,320
    well done, on my list too!

  6. #40181
    Super Member irishrose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Cadillac, MI
    Posts
    6,579
    Blog Entries
    19
    Yes, Suze, that's a ZZ machine and a real bargain. It will clean up beautifully.

  7. #40182
    Super Member craftiladi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Nv.
    Posts
    2,227
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    craftiladi,

    Clean the bobbin case pocket thoroughly. Then clean the bobbin case too. Make sure the latch is free to move with the little spring. Then when you put it in make sure it latches before you turn loose of it. I have a couple that are sneaky like that. You think they are in place and two stitches later the case falls out. Oh what frustration.

    Joe
    I got it Joe, thank-you!
    Dee Lowe
    Las Vegas Nv.

  8. #40183
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Muv View Post
    Remember the Willcox and Gibbs I showed you months ago? Here it is - I finished the clean up yesterday and got it stitching. I love it. I've had another look at the picture of Nancy's W&G treadle because I remember her saying that the W&G is good for decorative stitching. It's a really neat chain stitch.

    Charlee - Hope you are well! Nice you are enjoying the knitting. Why not knit two socks at once on the same needle to keep them the same length? I used to do that with sleeves. It just means you have two balls of wool dangling about.

    Nancy - Lovely to see your two Jones machines together. The one that refers to Queen Alexandra will be the older of the two. She died in 1925.
    Wow Muv, I'd love to find a Wilcox and Gibbs hand crank! I have the treadle and an electric version, but no HC! Your HC is awesome! Yes, I love the chain stitch and can see why that machine was used to put the decorative stitch on our Civil War soldier's uniforms! The stitch stands out and is so pretty!

    Nancy

  9. #40184
    Super Member craftiladi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Nv.
    Posts
    2,227
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by purplefiend View Post
    SteveH,
    I love that two tone blue Morse! I don't see anything like that on Craig's list here. Most machines listed there are either rusted badly or if it does work they want far too much for them.

    Dee Fox,
    I like your machines, especially the robin's egg blue Kenmore, it looks like some of the bobbins in the picture are the wrong type. They should look like the bobbins with lots of holes in them, or a solid version of them.
    Sharon
    Thank-you Sharon-i did test them in both my kenmores and they do work, appreciate your input
    Dee Lowe
    Las Vegas Nv.

  10. #40185
    Senior Member redbugsullivan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Western Washington State
    Posts
    554
    Blog Entries
    6
    That's it!! Been wrangling with this for a while. Why do I prefer piecing with my old National Alvah over the New Home and White. Thanks to you I have figured out the reason!!

    This old very basic treadle has a treadle stroke that is long. It takes two feet to keep it smoothly going. To get it started, the treadle wheel gets a push down, not the handwheel. Where it stops, it stays. Accidentally go backwards a couple of rotations? Rarely does a thread break.

    It may be rough looking, but my dear Alvah isn't just special because it was my first treadle. It is quietly dependable and feels like an old friend. Thank you for helping me figure this out Nancy! Joe, my New Home 6000 is my go to electric.

    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
    Joe, what is wrong with piecing with a treadle? When I first started treadling I would not have pieced with a treadle - all I did was sew forward then go back - breaking thread constantly. But, after lots of practice, I don't see a different in treadling or using an electric machine, except for speed.
    Nancy
    Annette

    There is no fireside like your own fireside.

  11. #40186
    Super Member Glenn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    2,550
    Blog Entries
    1
    Muv, What a beautiful machine you have here. I am now on the lookout for a W&G HC. Mine is a treadle and I love it. I just really like the chain stitch it makes. Nice clean up.
    Skip
    Glenn W. Cleveland

  12. #40187
    Senior Member grant15clone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Brookfield, IL
    Posts
    862
    Muv, I agree with the consensus. It is a great looking machine. Great condition. You have single handedly doubled or even tripled the value of them here in the states.
    ~G~

  13. #40188
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by redbugsullivan View Post
    That's it!! Been wrangling with this for a while. Why do I prefer piecing with my old National Alvah over the New Home and White. Thanks to you I have figured out the reason!!

    This old very basic treadle has a treadle stroke that is long. It takes two feet to keep it smoothly going. To get it started, the treadle wheel gets a push down, not the handwheel. Where it stops, it stays. Accidentally go backwards a couple of rotations? Rarely does a thread break.

    It may be rough looking, but my dear Alvah isn't just special because it was my first treadle. It is quietly dependable and feels like an old friend. Thank you for helping me figure this out Nancy! Joe, my New Home 6000 is my go to electric.
    Hummmmm, I started with the Singer 27 from 1900. Pheasant decals almost gone, machine is bad shape, treadle cabinet in worse shape, but that darn machine could sew! I had no idea how to treadle! I think some people are just naturally better treadlers than others! I was terrible. All I did was go back and forth and break thread! If it were not for the fact that my DH could treadle so well, I'd of probably quit trying. He got the biggest kick out of the fact that he could sew with that treadle and I couldn't! Anyway, I don't know if that 27 was any harder to treadle than any other treadle, but it was a good one to learn on! I think if I'd started with my Davis Vertical Feed - I probably would have given up! That machine is a work out! I don't know about the Alvah, but I do have an Elredge Two Spools that is made by National. It is a dream to treadle. Great machine.

    Nancy

  14. #40189
    Super Member irishrose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Cadillac, MI
    Posts
    6,579
    Blog Entries
    19
    Maybe I should take a second look at my Leader before I sell it if National machines treadle easily. Now it is very stiff, but I haven't played with it at all. The nicest treadler I have touched was the New Home Ruby I gave away.

  15. #40190
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
    Maybe I should take a second look at my Leader before I sell it if National machines treadle easily. Now it is very stiff, but I haven't played with it at all. The nicest treadler I have touched was the New Home Ruby I gave away.
    Judy, I think all the treadles are probably about the same to treadle. The only reason I work so hard while treadling my Davis Vertical Feed is because I am also wrestling with a queen/king size quilt. I use that treadle to put bindings on my large quilts. Yes, it is a work out to treadle, maybe because of the walking foot and the fact that it has no feed dogs to help move the fabric (the walking foot and no feed dogs are great to use for bindings because you don't get puckers/tucks - that Davis doesn't care how many layers you go through). When I do the testing stitch before starting with the huge quilts, it runs very smoothly. I never sew with that Davis except for bindings so I can't compare it to treadling with my Two Spools or my 319w. I know Monica has done grid type quilting with the Davis, but I haven't tried that yet. The 319w is a dream to treadle too, but after treadling for a hour or so - I begin to 'feel' it in my legs!

    Nancy

  16. #40191
    Super Member J Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    8,104
    Stiff treadles benefit greatly from cleaning and OIL. The treadle bases use lots of non bearing pivot points. These need oiled frequently.
    A clean and oiled machine is much easier to turn than a dirty gummy machine too.

    In this case an ounce of maintenance prevents a gallon of sweat.

    Joe

  17. #40192
    Super Member purplefiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Round Rock,Texas
    Posts
    6,133
    All of my treadles are easy to use, they are smooth, not a workout. A properly oiled and adjusted treadle doesn't squeak or clank when in use. About every 3-4 years my DH takes them apart and cleans,greases the cone bearings and oils all the parts that need it ; then he adjusts them so they are quiet and move easily without clanking.
    Sharon W

  18. #40193
    Super Member irishrose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Cadillac, MI
    Posts
    6,579
    Blog Entries
    19
    The New Home Ruby I gave away was a dream to treadle. The machine (a Light Running)was made easy for elderly customers. I had to laugh when I found that advertisement. You couldn't do that now, but in 1904 they may not have been so touchy about such things. She had a 1895 patent with a 1904 manufacture date.

  19. #40194
    Super Member vintagemotif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,971
    Blog Entries
    10
    My Davis NVF is one of my smoothest treadles. All of my treadles are easy to treadle, very little work once one starts treadling. The only machine that has made treadling hard is my Necchi Supernova that I had once converted to treadle. I did that project of converting a Necchi Supernova to treadle just to see if it could be done and how it felt to treadle such a machine. I moved it around to different Singer cabinet treadles to see if it was the treadle or the machine. I discovered it was the machine. Those Necchi Supernovas are meant to move super fast, like a race car. I now no longer treadle the Necchi since treadling it is too brutally exhausting. Other than that, all my treadles are smooth. When quilt making, I love piecing on my Eldredge Two Spools, quilting and binding on my Davis NVF, and decorative stitching and finishing bindings on Singer 224 or Necchi.

  20. #40195
    Senior Member redbugsullivan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Western Washington State
    Posts
    554
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
    Maybe I should take a second look at my Leader before I sell it if National machines treadle easily. Now it is very stiff, but I haven't played with it at all. The nicest treadler I have touched was the New Home Ruby I gave away.
    Let me clarify! My base has been cleaned and oiled regularly. Nary a noise comes from it. But it also has no bearings. Just friction points that are cast iron hold the workings together.

    I agree with you about treading those New Home machines! My MIL's is so easy to get started that it almost could sew 12" with a couple of good pushes. My New Home Climax is the same way. But, they also will rotate to the heaviest point on the wheel when stopping if I don't keep my foot on the pedal as a brake. Of course that means if I wanted the needle up, it usually rotates to the down position and vice versa. Royal p-in-the NECK when piecing.

    For me, Alvah's slower "go" and two foot treadling gives me more control. I also don't get as tired so quickly because both sides of my body are getting a work-out.
    Annette

    There is no fireside like your own fireside.

  21. #40196
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2
    just joined after doing research on my recent purchase of the Singer Treadle this week end. The Serial Number is pretty worn but I believe it says.. L10201159. Everything moves well, just needs a good cleaning and the belt put on as it sat in a shop for years and the belt was removed. Has a full set of accessories and Feet.

    I was hoping you could tell me something about it... It has the Phoenix decal.. Thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  22. #40197
    Junior Member makitmama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Tidewater, VA
    Posts
    263
    Pretty machine- can you verify the serial number please?
    Cil



    I'm a Queen.... at least my pantyhose say I am!


    (proud caretaker of a magenta 221, purple 222, assorted 66's, a 301, a pink Atlas and Monarch, and Granny's 201-2.

  23. #40198
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by redbugsullivan View Post
    Let me clarify! My base has been cleaned and oiled regularly. Nary a noise comes from it. But it also has no bearings. Just friction points that are cast iron hold the workings together.

    I agree with you about treading those New Home machines! My MIL's is so easy to get started that it almost could sew 12" with a couple of good pushes. My New Home Climax is the same way. But, they also will rotate to the heaviest point on the wheel when stopping if I don't keep my foot on the pedal as a brake. Of course that means if I wanted the needle up, it usually rotates to the down position and vice versa. Royal p-in-the NECK when piecing.

    For me, Alvah's slower "go" and two foot treadling gives me more control. I also don't get as tired so quickly because both sides of my body are getting a work-out.
    Redbugsullivan has made a very valid point here. It is a royal pain in the neck when you stop treadling but the machine still sews a few stitches. My Singer 15-88 is like that. That machine is so easy and smooth to treadle that I have to be ready to brake the treadle to stop it! My 319w is harder to treadle so when I stop treadling the machine stops sewing. The same with the Davis and the Two Spools. The Wheeler and Wilson is very easy to treadle too, but doesn't seem to want to sew when I am not treadling.

    Yes, they need to be oiled regularly. Another good point, which most of us who use our machines probably keep up with. I know I do.

    Nancy

  24. #40199
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Granny Judy View Post
    just joined after doing research on my recent purchase of the Singer Treadle this week end. The Serial Number is pretty worn but I believe it says.. L10201159. Everything moves well, just needs a good cleaning and the belt put on as it sat in a shop for years and the belt was removed. Has a full set of accessories and Feet.

    I was hoping you could tell me something about it... It has the Phoenix decal.. Thank you.
    Judy, welcome aboard! You will find yourself getting more and more machines if you stay on this board! This is a very addicting hobby!

    You have a nice Model 27 with the Sphinx decal, but you have too many digits in your serial number. The L series only went to 1 million something.

    Nancy

  25. #40200
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,409
    Blog Entries
    2
    I spied a very derelict National 2 spools - the machine is rusted up but good - the bobbin can is good and still there... the base is good and the cabinet is fair.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.