Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1598 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 598 1098 1498 1548 1588 1597 1598 1599 1608 1648 1698 ... LastLast
Results 39,926 to 39,950 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Janis View Post
    I was reading some postings from earlier in the month about teaching grand kids to sew. Lauren, 6 has been interested and loves to contol the foot petal. Today I was making her a new Christmas stocking to replace the missing one, and I had her sew it up, contoling both the fabric and the foot control. Of course, I had a hand on it too. She loved it, and we even made a rice bag and cover for it for her mother. She was so pleased with her work. I oiled and greased my FW and then had her sew on paper, without thread. Later she sewed on some scrap fabric and loved it. I think I'll have a sewer there and will have to share my machine when I bring it up with me.
    Janis I started teaching my grandkids to sew as soon as they could sit in my lap and help guide the fabric. One of the kids is now 17 almost 18 and she just finished a beautiful queen sized quilt, shams, and pillow cases for her boyfriend for Christmas! She also made a baby doll for a neice and herself a backpack without a pattern!

Six years old is the perfect time to start really getting serious with sewing. Kids at that age think it is really cool to sew! You could start looking for her a first sewing machine so Grandma and Lauren can sew together! A little Spartan is great for that! Marcus, who is 4.5 uses a Spartan - you can't hurt that machine!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee View Post

I'm dragging out the knitting needles already....this baby's gonna get some booties to go with a quilt! It's too soon to know if it's a boy or girl...I'll be tapping my fingers until then!!
    Charlee great timing too! Getting your sewing room back right before Christmas! Doing a happy dance for you!
    You could make some booties, and hat! It is so much fun sewing, knitting, crocheting for the grandbabies! Congratulations, 2013 will be an exciting year!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas everyone! Today we will have half the family here for Christmas. Tomorrow we were suppose to go to our son's house but they are sick with a flu bug, so I think tomorrow will be here too! It will be fun, but I will be glad when it is all over - for things to get back to normal!

I hope you all have a great Christmas!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    I have been teaching my granddaughters to sew. One is 9 and one is almost 13. They have been making small quilts for a few years now. Have won ribbons on some. I just asked if they were going to make another quilt this summer and got a big YES. Now our grandson that is 5 wants to us memaw's sewshenes. He likes to treadle and told his Gdad not to get rid of his shene. Our 9 year old is a lefty and I just turned a FW backwards and put the presser foot on the backside, put the machine in reverse and away she went. Have them sew on lined notebook paper with out thread.
    Quilting with a friend keeps me in stitches.

Trish

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas to all our new friends we have made on the board. Stay safe and sound through the holidays.
    Quilting with a friend keeps me in stitches.

Trish

Crosstitcher,

Please dont let this one "ROTTEN APPLE" seller detract you from buying a machine on ebay again. Despite their and PP's exhorbitant seller fees, I have sold 3 machines there totaling nearly $3000.00 and

I like it because it gives my listing the widest exposure to an audience that I can find. I find CL is good if you are in a larger metro area, here about the only thing I can sell on CL are small things and an occasional furniture piece. I have only found 1 decent machine at the local GW store, it was a Viking 180, bought for $6 on 50% off day, bought a manual and a cord and sold it for $200. It was like new, plastic still covering the face plates.

I had a machine arrive at my house in pieces one time from a bad seller who maybe just didnt understand what to do. A hole was punched into the lid from the spool pin, it was awful. Then she proceeded to file the insurance claim from the USPO and kept the money to boot. However that just made me more cautious. I pay for everything with PP, they have promptly gotten my money back for me whenever there was a question. I also make sure to deal only with a seller that has favorable feedback and the more the better. As for the lady who kept my money..well, I believe in karma and I am sure she will get what shes got coming to her some day.

When I pack a machine, I pack the inside securely, using tape to make sure nothing moves inside, then I put the lid over it and wrap the whole thing in bubble wrap and securely tape the wrap to the point where it is one big lump. I have had sellers write back to me later to complement me on the way I packed it.

I am glad you got your money back, I hope you will soon find an even BETTER machine to buy and it will be a good experience

Jody

But, when opened we found it was packed with store plastic bags and thin building insulation. The machine was dropped at the handwheel end and the shaft that goes through the machine was bent so hand wheel will not turn. Seller never said machine would not turn. Anyway we contacted the seller and he said send pictures which we did. He came back and said it was packed good and that we made the box look damaged and we loosened the hand wheel screw to make the shaft look bent. Told us it was buyers remorse.

Blog Entries
    Here is wishing you and your family a very Merry Christmas and a very happy New Year. Thank you for all your help this year.

Skipper and Pat
    Glenn W. Cleveland

Blog Entries
    Wishing those that celebrate Christmas, a merry and joyful day! May everyone have a healthy and prosperous New Year! Happy Treadling to all!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
    Trish, buy your machines from Miriam and you won't have any damage! She is the best at shipping and I should know. I have bought 4 machines from Miriam now! Miriam I can't remember - I know I bought the Pfaff 230, 260, Singer 301, and the Rodney machines from you - is that all? Hehehehehehehe

Nancy
    HHHMMMMM You might be my best customer!!!
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

Blog Entries
    Wishing all a very Merry Christmas and a joyous New Year. For those of different faith traditions, I hope your holidays are blessed as well.

Chris
    I meant to behave......but there were too many other options

Merry Christmas, everyone! Happy Solstice, happy Kwanza, happy Hanukkah, and happy holidays!
    Cil

I'm a Queen.... at least my pantyhose say I am!

(proud caretaker of a magenta 221, purple 222, assorted 66's, a 301, a pink Atlas and Monarch, and Granny's 201-2.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chris_quilts View Post
    Wishing all a very Merry Christmas and a joyous New Year. For those of different faith traditions, I hope your holidays are blessed as well.

Chris
    Well said - DITTO!!!
    and sit and giggle a while - it'll do you good.

Query:

The 15-91 I rewired, cleaned and lubed makes a kind of a dry sound when I use it. Totally different from the 201-2. It's almost the kind of sound a machine makes when some part hasn't gotten lubed in a long time. I've Tri-Flowed this machine till I'm blue in the face and the noise persists.
    It sounds as if it's coming from the bobbin end, but I can't be sure.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Joe

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    Query:

The 15-91 I rewired, cleaned and lubed makes a kind of a dry sound when I use it. Totally different from the 201-2. It's almost the kind of sound a machine makes when some part hasn't gotten lubed in a long time. I've Tri-Flowed this machine till I'm blue in the face and the noise persists.

Joe
    LOL I know the feeling... keep looking and oiling...

Joe,

Take the bobbin case and hook out. Does the sound persist? I have caught myself forgetting to put oil on the hook before putting it back in. The class 15 machines are nosier than the 201s are, but as you know they shouldn't sound dry. I agree with Mariam, keep looking and Tri-flowing it. (Is Tri-flowing a word???)

Cathy

Query:

Joe
    Cathy

"Most sewing machine problems are due to the carbon based unit in the chair in front of the machine"

Blog Entries
    I figured he knew the race needs oil

Cathy, Miriam,

Yes as far as I'm concerned "Tri-Flowing" is a word. I just added it to my hard drive memory LOL.

When I cleaned this machine I did pull the hook and bobbin carrier out. I had to it was a mess. Almost as much old solidified oil as the 127. I did lube it as well. But I just had one of those ..... kinda - sorta - maybe memories. Somewhere I saw some rust and even though it was cleaned off it might be the cause "IF" it was in the bobbin hook areas. I'll double check it and do some more Tri-Flowing.

Joe

Blog Entries
    Cathy, Miriam,

Yes as far as I'm concerned "Tri-Flowing" is a word. I just added it to my hard drive memory LOL.

When I cleaned this machine I did pull the hook and bobbin carrier out. I had to it was a mess. Almost as much old solidified oil as the 127. I did lube it as well. But I just had one of those ..... kinda - sorta - maybe memories. Somewhere I saw some rust and even though it was cleaned off it might be the cause "IF" it was in the bobbin hook areas. I'll double check it and do some more Tri-Flowing.

Joe
    That brain fog is what happens when you are cleaning a machine... ask me how I know.

We have LOTS of snow - drifts as high as my waist - Indianapolis has been shut down pretty much.

They better get it plowed by Saturday, we just might come over.

Joe

Blog Entries
    The main roads get plowed - our side streets all wait until it melts off - and they don't discriminate... This is life in the big city, Joe.

Yepper ..... Life in the big city. Same thing here. Once in a blue moon they'll plow and salt the residential streets. Not often.
    That's is why I have a 4x4. Yeah, more than once I've needed it just to get in and out of my own drive way. Eeeee gads.

Joe

Blog Entries
    SALT??? You get SALT???

Main streets are over salted. Vehicles rust out like mad. Residential streets once in a rare time.

I found the noise in my 15-91. When the thread take up lever begins it's up sweep it makes that dry schuck sound. I've oiled the grove the little roller on the lever follows and the little wheel thoroughly. I wiggled it until I was sure the little roller is rolling freely.

So, I guess this machine is gonna make noise until it decides to stop. At least I know where it's coming from.

Joe

miriam: I am interested in purchasing a 1940 221 singer featherweight. Please e mail me @mouse #copper.net
    Thanks tomodachi (lois)