Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-08-2011, 03:12 PM
Kas

Let's see if this works. Not the Westinghouse, but looks just like it.

http://www.petpeoplesplace.com/petst...593301203.html

And here is one showing the spring action when on a machine.

http://cgi.ebay.com/White-Rotary-Sew...item45f912e313
Old 05-08-2011, 03:19 PM

Any advice on how to actually sew the direction you want to sew when using a treadle machine? Everytime I need to stop to turn fabric, etc. I can't sew in the right direction! I keep going backwards... Any advice?????
Old 05-08-2011, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Kas

Your Singer Redeye 66 can be treadled. Don't know if the motor can be left on the machine or if it will get in the way of the treadle belt. If you can leave the motor on just for decoration, then that is what I would do. I love the look of this motor on this machine. Enjoy your new vintage machine!
Old 05-08-2011, 03:28 PM
Kas

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by Kas

Your Singer Redeye 66 can be treadled. Don't know if the motor can be left on the machine or if it will get in the way of the treadle belt. If you can leave the motor on just for decoration, then that is what I would do. I love the look of this motor on this machine. Enjoy your new vintage machine!
Except I don't have a cabinet with working treadle parts. Either the cabinet was destroyed and the treadle worked, or the cabinet was good but the treadle had been cut off! And the irons are too wide from the beat up cabinet to fit on the good one unless I move the drawers and other stuff like that. Haven't gotten that far yet! But no, the motor won't get in the way of treadling if it is in the swung away position, but it might get in the way of fabric. I do have a hand crank I can put on it, though. But it would be fun to find the other foot pedal parts and try to get them working.
Old 05-08-2011, 03:28 PM
Kas

Originally Posted by lovelyl
Any advice on how to actually sew the direction you want to sew when using a treadle machine? Everytime I need to stop to turn fabric, etc. I can't sew in the right direction! I keep going backwards... Any advice?????
Practice! It can help to give the wheel a spin in the right direction when you restart treadling.
Old 05-08-2011, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by lovelyl
Practice! And starting off using the hand wheel to get the machine going in the correct direction too. It is a hand-foot motion that helps get the machine going and in the correct direction. Oh, to stop you can slow down with the hand wheel just by letting your hand rest on the spinning wheel, and stop that way too. But, you are just going to have to practice and get use to the quirks of your machine and treadle.
Have fun!
Old 05-08-2011, 03:51 PM

[quote=Kas][quote=vintagemotif]
Originally Posted by Kas
Except I don't have a cabinet with working treadle parts. Either the cabinet was destroyed and the treadle worked, or the cabinet was good but the treadle had been cut off!
I once took a free Singer cabinet that wasn't set up for treadle use and another free Singer dilapidated cabinet with treadle that I used to make into one cabinet and treadle that my Singer 201 sits in. I found the free items off of CLs.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-194762.jpe  
Old 05-08-2011, 03:55 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by KatFish
I have a Singer 500A rocketeer and a Singer 503A. If you had to pick a better machine which one would you pick to keep, and why. I'm trying to thin out some of my machines.
If you have all the top hat disks the 503A is the better machine - I just feel like I have more control over the width of the stitches. I like the bobbin winder better on the 503A and 500A better than the 400 series. I like to door on top of the 400's better - less prone to breaking. A lot of people seem to prefer the 500s for looks though - it is rather fashionable isn't it?
Old 05-08-2011, 06:55 PM

Billy, Sent you a PM out of desperation.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by Weedwoman
I have a Touch & Sew 626 that I've had for years and I totally love that old machine. I truly like how the bobbin fills right in the machine and the fact it can be set up to chain stitch.
Weedwoman, I am glad you got you 306 bobbin delemma figured out.

I am afraid to even get a Touch and Sew after all the bad vibes on that machine. Glad to hear someone actually loves it!

Quiltdoctor, I like the Eldredge Rotary - godzilla and all!

Sharon that 99 looks really rough right now, but I bet with some Liquid Gold on that case and machine - it will really shine. Just be careful about using the Liquid Gold on the wood if you are planning to re-stain and re-finish -- the oil in the Liquid Gold makes it a little difficult to re-stain.

Nancy