Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-16-2011, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by jljack
Originally Posted by Kathie S.
Try retheading your machine, try changing your needle, take out the bobbin and put it back in. Kathie
That is one of the problems, I'm not sure how to thread the bobbin through. And it really need a deep cleaning. But it's too wet to take it outside and give it a bath.
When you put your bobbin make sure the thread is coming from the top of the bobbin and bring it towards you. Put it throught the slit in the bobbin case and bring the thread to the back of the machine. It threads just like the bobbin on the new machines. Kathie[/quote]

I have found manuals and full instructions for every Singer machine I have for free on ISMaCS or other site. You have to have the needle in the right way, and thread the needle correctly for it to pick up the bobbin thread...when I first tried my 66 in treadle, I couldn't get it to pick up the bobbin thread...until one of the wonderful people here told me exactly how to put the needle in and thread it. First try after that it worked!![/quote]

What type of machine is this? If its a White or Standard in treadle, then the wheel has to turn away from you. If this is an electric machine, forgot about what I just said.
:)
Old 10-16-2011, 06:53 PM

Hey, Charlee & Monica & Nancy...guess what...I won a Davis Vertical Feed machine on auction this weekend, along with some attachments of some kind (haven't seen a good pic of them yet). It's just the machine, no cabinet or base, but I am sooo excited!!
YES!!! Congrats!! Been praying for you.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:02 PM

[quote=Charlee]
Hey

Did you know that the Davis VF was engineered to sew 1200 stitches per minute? That's incredibly FAST! I know mine whips right along, but I don't think I have a piece of fabric long enough to test the theory! :lol:

Funny you post this.
When I picked up the Davis NVF that had a motor on it (2nd machine after the Davis NVF in treadle), the guy showing me that the machine worked was SO impressed at how fast it would stitch. It was like watching a kid...look at this...I just chuckled. When I got home, I immediately removed the motor. I swear that the machine relax; it was like a huge weight was removed from it. I don't think it like the motor.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Caroline S
My Belair 929 (circa late 1950s?).

What is the red plastic thing in the shuttle case?
This is interesting and I have never seen a red piece like this.
It isn't fabric? Hey, can you sew with the red thing in now? Does the bobbin case go in ok?

Hope you don't mind that I took a copy of your photo to show on this post-helps to see a photo.

I haven't played with a machine like this in decades. I think after you remove the pins (or are they screws) that you see on either side of where the bobbin goes, then the plate comes off. After the plate comes off, the bobbin holder thingy will come out too. You can then see the red thingy better. From there, see if it comes out or if it was added because of whatever reason.

Heehee, I have to laugh at myself- this makes a heck of a lot of sense.

I'm hoping it's just some piece that doesn't belong and will fall out, and you will be able to sew after you put all the other items back in place.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-272532.png  
Old 10-16-2011, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by olebat
Phooey. Thought there was a sub thread for just vintage photos, but can't seem to locate it any more. At guild show and tell a few months back, I showed some photos of my new vintage acquisitions. I was asked to display the machines at the quilt show, which was this weekend. Unfortunately, I had also volunteered to fill a booth at a local county fair, not realizing that the two overlapped. So I set up at both. Here are photos from the show.
Olebat, You did a very nice job of displaying all those cool vintage ladies. That must have been fun setting up the displays. I would have fun doing that job! And I love seeing the vintage machines on display at quilting shows!
Old 10-16-2011, 07:32 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Candace
Miriam, what Janome did you have?
I don't know what Janome I had. It was new in 1998 or so and I barely used it - it was a moderately price piece - it had a few bells and whistles but it wouldn't sew anything very heavy. I had a hard time making it stop where I wanted it to - drove me nutty. It had some kind of whimpy button hole maker foot that I couldn't make button holes as good as I would have liked. I finally got rid of it. I have a quilt top somewhere I pieced on it so it must have been good for something.

I've tested a lot of different machines I will say that. There ain't a new one out there worth 2 cents as far as I am concerned. I messed with some Necchi machines and a couple Vikings. The Vikings were ok but I just never really bonded. The Necchi machines vary wildly - some were ok and some not so much. Some machines have the nose sticking out too far and make it hard to see. Makes my neck hurt. Then I found a Singer 401G in the garbage - it was a mess. My sister insisted that I make the thing work. I think she double dared or something. I did - it took a lot of research and trial and error. I used 3 in 1 oil on it. Talk about stuck up cam shaft selectors!!! I found a 403 and fell in love with it while I was working on the 401G. I had an Elna SU I was very bonded to before I burned out the motor too many times and tried to fix that. I found another Elna after 20 years... I also use a Consew walking foot for anything tough. That thing might sew through a board for all I know - just needs the right needle I guess. My favorite right now is a Singer 403 with all the disks and a bunch of attachments. I like it because it is simple. It does what I tell it to do. I can see what I am doing. It is tough. The decorative stitches look good. I can fix it my self. It is easy to keep the bobbin area clean. The gears are metal. You can peak inside at the bobbin to know how much thread is on the bobbin. My Elna kept breaking gears and burning out the motor. I'll admit when I sew I sew hard enough to kill a machine. The vintage Singer machines seem to hold up better than anything else I've had. I have tested Touch and Sews - they are good for parts and/or land fill. I think anything newer than them is probably junk too. I had a Pfaff for a while and a Bernina. They were ok but I never bonded. I never bonded with the other Viking I had - probably mid 80's piece.

I just was over at my DDs place and the very basic Viking (bought new in 1992) I gave her when she moved out was making a racket. I opened up the throat plate and cleaned it out. I think it hadn't been cleaned in a very long time. My 403 is so much easier to clean out. Then I sewed on the Viking. My old machines - every last one of them - sew straighter, quieter and faster. I'm really glad it's her using it and not me - I wouldn't have any hair. My old machines feel so solid and stitch so well..
Old 10-16-2011, 07:34 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by vintagemotif

It isn't fabric? Hey, can you sew with the red thing in now? Does the bobbin case go in ok?

Hope you don't mind that I took a copy of your photo to show on this post-helps to see a photo.

I haven't played with a machine like this in decades. I think after you remove the pins (or are they screws) that you see on either side of where the bobbin goes, then the plate comes off. After the plate comes off, the bobbin holder thingy will come out too. You can then see the red thingy better. From there, see if it comes out or if it was added because of whatever reason.

I'm hoping it's just some piece that doesn't belong and will fall out, and you will be able to sew after you put all the other items back in place.
You are right it will pop off and clean up. I'd love to give it a try.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by vintagemotif

You are right it will pop off and clean up. I'd love to give it a try.
I hope she tells us what she did and found out. Does look like a fun project to clean up!
Old 10-16-2011, 08:01 PM

Hey, Charlee & Monica & Nancy...guess what...I won a Davis Vertical Feed machine on auction this weekend, along with some attachments of some kind (haven't seen a good pic of them yet). It's just the machine, no cabinet or base, but I am sooo excited!!
That sounds exciting. I just looked up on the net to see what they look like. A neat old machine. I know nothing about them. About how old a machine are they? I want to see pictures of your machine too.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:38 PM

I removed the shuttle-race and shuttle and gave them a good cleaning. That was easy. The manual does not show the red plastic thing at the bottom of the shuttle race. Among some of the paperwork that was taped in the cabinet was a round tag that said that stated that Quote: a "SHUT-L-KLEEN" had been installed on this machine for your sewing machine convenience, NO JAMMED MACHINE WITH SHUT-L-KLEEN, prevents clogging by lint or thread. Now I don't know if the tag pertains to Marilyn or some other machine. There was an instruction book for "The Eldredge Two Spool Sewing Machine" along with the Belair manual. So, who knows? I think that the only reason both the manuals survived was that they were taped to the inside of the cabinet and were very oil soaked.

I think that the cabinet Marilyn came in is much older than she is. I have never seen one like it. The oval top folds back and rests on a pull out support to create a table. Really cool. But it looks as if it spent some time in a garage because the top is marred by what looks like paint can rings, scratches and one big cigarette burn.

Marilyn in the cabinet she came in
[ATTACH=CONFIG]272603[/ATTACH]

Cabinet top
[ATTACH=CONFIG]272604[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-272550.jpe   attachment-272551.jpe