Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1538 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 538 1038 1438 1488 1528 1537 1538 1539 1548 1588 1638 ... LastLast
Results 38,426 to 38,450 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Blog Entries
    I want to thank all you nice people again for the fishy quilt. It came in handy on the fishing trip. Upper 70's in the day but the nights were in the 40's but we were very warm and toasty. Thank you again.

Skip
    Glenn W. Cleveland

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    So glad little W is better give him a big hug for us.
    Skip's back!!! OK. My sister wants to know how to refinish her blonde sewing machine cabinet - it is like that one somebody painted white and Joe bought from me... only her's is blonde... I think so far she has scraped off the flaky stuff and sanded some of it and it still is icky... I think I have a blonde one too - mine isn't just blonde it is a DIRTY blonde sewing cabinet with flaky long gone - kind of gross - can it be stained??? I betcha you saw it - we didn't get into drawers (or cabinets) when you came....
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

I came across not one, not 2, but 3 different old machines at thrift shops today. Too bad I don't have the room. How many of us on this thread need another machine that are close to the Omaha area? I'm not interested in getting a new old machine, but I'm happy to enable someone else. 1 was a godzilla finish looking white. It had a potted exterior motor. Everything moved smoothly, but no foot pedal for the motor. It looks like it was originally a treadle, though I could be completely wrong. The 2nd White we found was sleek and black and looked like it would be bigger than my 66 but smaller than the giant size ones. It came in it's own cabinet. The last one was just a regular brother machine from the 70s. It would be great to teach my nieces to sew on, but none of them live by me.
    Proud mom/step-mom to 8 children. We promote awareness of Autism and Huntington's Disease. Please pm me if interested in sending Campbell's Soup Labels or box tops which we collect for our kids' schools.

Blog Entries
    I remember seeing it. Your sister can stain the cabinet but during the blonde process they sealed the wood with a sealer toe seal the grain. This has to be removed before is will take a stain. Either by sanding if solid wood or stripping it. Does the cabinet have a whitish look after the sanding if it does it will have to be stipped. The blonde Danish look is more of a pickling thing meaning stained with white paint or stain and it will be deep in the grain of the wood. I would just strip lit and start over, and then she can do anything she wants with it.

We will get into the drawers and cabinets on out next trip.

Skip
    Glenn W. Cleveland

I remember seeing it. Your sister can stain the cabinet but during the blonde process they sealed the wood with a sealer toe seal the grain. This has to be removed before is will take a stain. Either by sanding if solid wood or stripping it. Does the cabinet have a whitish look after the sanding if it does it will have to be stipped. The blonde Danish look is more of a pickling thing meaning stained with white paint or stain and it will be deep in the grain of the wood. I would just strip lit and start over, and then she can do anything she wants with it.

We will get into the drawers and cabinets on out next trip.

Skip
    Hi Glenn, I just picked up a 99 in a cabinet. The owner had tried to refinish it, she sanded the top, but the legs look like the stain was just put on without sanding. And, it is a blonde wood cabinet. I sanded a small area of one of the legs, and it looked whitish. Is my only choice to strip the entire cabinet? If I sand it, could I paint it?
    Thank you,
    Anamaria
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    If you sand that blonde finish will it just gum up the sand paper or will it all come off better with chemical?

Grayhare,
    This one looks just like mine, except my machine was originally a hand crank at some point as it has the spoke wheel. It had a 220 volt motor on it when I bought it, was born in 1931, same age as my Dad; so I named him Pat.
    I used the original hand crank that came with my Singer 201k, I prefer to treadle it.
    Sharon

Blog Entries
    Anamaria and Miriam the best solution is to strip the blonde finish off with chemical stripper from the Hardware store. Yes you can paint it if you prime it first. Sanding will take a long time and burn up a lot of paper and take longer. No nice way to handle this very ugly white finish that was popular in the 50's.
    Skip
    Glenn W. Cleveland

Anamaria and Miriam the best solution is to strip the blonde finish off with chemical stripper from the Hardware store. Yes you can paint it if you prime it first. Sanding will take a long time and burn up a lot of paper and take longer. No nice way to handle this very ugly white finish that was popular in the 50's.
    Skip
    Will a light sanding take the finish off, or with the process that was used do you have to sand till you get to a natural wood color? Don't know if that makes sense.
    I have never used a chemical stripper, and I am a total novice at this type of stuff. I don't know if you saw some of the post while you were gone, but I think I will just have to paint the cabinet. If I paint and prime it do I need to give it a real good sanding?
    Thank you for help Glenn,
    Anamaria

Maybe something like either of these would work, and not bad looking
    http://www.paintideas.com/desertgarden/projects/631/$id2

http://www.twotwenty-one.com/2012/01...-makeover.html
    Last edited by grayhare; 10-06-2012 at 06:23 PM.

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=grayhare;5567209]Maybe something like either of these would work, and not bad looking
    http://www.paintideas.com/desertgarden/projects/631

http://www.twotwenty-one.com/2012/01...-makeover.html[/QUOT
    Anamaria decorative painting is a good choice if you don't want to strip the cabinet. Just make sure you lightly sand it the prime with a good primer before applying the decorative painting. the Europeans have been doing this for centuries. I usually like stained wood but I to have a cabinet I have elected to paint. Just sand lightly. prime with a good primer before decorating with paint.
    Glenn W. Cleveland

Thank you Glenn! I would rather not strip the cabinet, so I will try the decorative painting. Both the 99K and the cabinet cost me $35 so not a big investment. I had been looking for both a cabinet and a 99 for about a year. And, in one week I ended up with two. The other 99K is in a bentwood case, in very nice condition.
    Anamaria

Blog Entries
    Skip
    I have one Kenmore cabinet I 'washed' - the outer finish came off with 'Awesome' (regular cleaning chemical) - looks a lot better though - should I put some shellack on it now or do I still need to sand it? Even if I put shellack I can't improve much on the ugly design. It is just a big blonde box with skinny, spindly legs.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    Wilbur is doing a bit better his sores are healing so he is responding to the medicine!!! He still has diarrhea and thinks he can make that happen at will... well he tries... makes the sisters giggle and he is all about that - he's on the antibiotic until next Friday. He is sleeping at night now - he hasn't kept the whole house up by moaning in his sleep or thrashing about trying to breathe. Thanks for the prayers.
    Miriam, that is great news! I hope he continues to improve daily!

Anamaria, that is a pretty 99! I'd change out the HW to a spoked HW with a HC! Give that baby a motorectomy, but it all depends on what you want to do with her? Whether you want an electric 99 or a HC 99! The spoked HW and HC fit very nicely in that bentwood case - at least, they did in my 99's bentwood case!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grayhare View Post
    Maybe something like either of these would work, and not bad looking
    http://www.paintideas.com/desertgarden/projects/631/$id2

http://www.twotwenty-one.com/2012/01...-makeover.html
    Anamaria, I think the cabinet looked great before she painted it white! I wouldn't have painted that cabinet!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    I want to thank all you nice people again for the fishy quilt. It came in handy on the fishing trip. Upper 70's in the day but the nights were in the 40's but we were very warm and toasty. Thank you again.

Skip
    Glenn, I am so glad you are using that quilt!

Nancy

Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
    Miriam, that is great news! I hope he continues to improve daily!

Anamaria, that is a pretty 99! I'd change out the HW to a spoked HW with a HC! Give that baby a motorectomy, but it all depends on what you want to do with her? Whether you want an electric 99 or a HC 99! The spoked HW and HC fit very nicely in that bentwood case - at least, they did in my 99's bentwood case!

Nancy
    Hi Nancy, Well, I got 2, 99's this week, after looking for about a year. The 99 in the bentwood case is nice, 1 owner, and the price was right $20. Yes, I am planning on putting a handcrank on it. Did you use a reproduction HW, or did you get an original spoked HW? I don't want to work with the chemicals to strip the cabinet. So, I will be painting it. Hopefully it will turn out nice! Too, many projects.
    Anamaria

Glenn, I'm also glad that you are using that quilt. And it should keep you toasty warm as it was filled with a lot of love from all of us.
    Miriam, I'm glad to hear that Wilbur is feeling better. Prayers are answered!

Hi everyone...I just picked this up from a Craigslist post. $40.00......cabinet is in good shape, but the machine is absolutely beautiful! I have never seen a gold one before and I cannot find a model or serial number anywhere. It is clean and rust free and runs smooth and quiet. It says on the front that it was made in Rockport Illinoise and there are two medallions on it with naked ladies on them! yep..naked as jaybirds! The one on the left says: Expositione Universelle" and the one on the right says " Republique Francoise". Can anyone tell me anything about this beautiful lady?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by missgigglewings; 10-07-2012 at 02:38 PM.

Blog Entries
    the third and fourth pic won't come up on my machine - are they the naked ladies???

Miriam,

The third pic is a close up of the arm with the New Home Greyhound decal. The fourth pic has the decal with the nekkid ladies.

Joe

OK...so ya'll like the nekked ladies...What about the machine? roflmbo

Blog Entries
    I love the machine. It would have come home with me in a heartbeat, with or without the naked ladies.

Oh yes, a very pretty machine. I also like the looks of the wood on that cabinet. Congratulations!

She is beautiful. It is a very nice straight stitcher without reverse. This machine was made about 1949. It does not use a standard needle, it takes a needle that goes by several names (40F1, or CC, or 38Y1). There is some misinformation on the net that says that it takes the 206x13 needle, but that needle is the wrong timing length.

Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by missgigglewings View Post
    Hi everyone...I just picked this up from a Craigslist post. $40.00......cabinet is in good shape, but the machine is absolutely beautiful! I have never seen a gold one before and I cannot find a model or serial number anywhere. It is clean and rust free and runs smooth and quiet. It says on the front that it was made in Rockport Illinoise and there are two medallions on it with naked ladies on them! yep..naked as jaybirds! The one on the left says: Expositione Universelle" and the one on the right says " Republique Francoise". Can anyone tell me anything about this beautiful lady?
    Cathy

"Most sewing machine problems are due to the carbon based unit in the chair in front of the machine"