Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 09-17-2010, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Originally Posted by Miz Johnny

Looks like it has a motor boss and would make a fine hand crank. I'm with Billy; I don't much care for a machine with a tail.
I don't know what you mean by motor boss :D You mean, it has a motor, right?? hee hee
I want to keep it. I'm just getting into vintage machines and treadles are a way off for me :D
A place under the handwheel where the motor attaches. (On the oldest Red Eyes, there is no boss--it has to be used as a treadle.) A hand crank can be attached there and you have a HC machine--no need for the demon electricity.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:33 PM

I

+
Originally Posted by BZ quilting
Unfortunately neither of mine is a singer and I doubt I can find manuals for them. they are both very old
What are they--there's always a chance one of us has a manual!!
I have a Eldredge B (pictured page 150) and Minesota Model D (pictured page 187) Thanks for any help you can give me.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:21 PM

I

+
Unfortunately neither of mine is a singer and I doubt I can find manuals for them. they are both very old
What are they--there's always a chance one of us has a manual!!
I have a Eldredge B (pictured page 150) and Minesota Model D (pictured page 187) Thanks for any help you can give me.
I'll look around and see, but I don't know of any free ones right off hand. Stitches in Time has a lot of high quality manual copies; they run about $15. Make sure if you do buy a manual that you specify the Eldredge B is a VS machine, as there was also an Eldredge B Automatic--a chain stitch machine. Also, the Minnesota D is a badged Davis Model T.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:33 PM

Nancy I love your machine, the shuttle machines intimidate me, I have 2 and don't understand how to thread the bobbin or just how to make them work.

Could someone tell me how you clean the bottom iron legs to make them look nice and black?
BZ quilting, all I did to the treadle, besides cleaning and oiling it, was spray it with Scotts Liquid Gold. That is the way I get all my treadle iron to shine! Scotts Liquid Gold is what Billy says to use on your old machines to shine them up too (that is after you clean all the years of gunk off)!

Nancy
Old 09-17-2010, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
And is everything looking pretty good, besides the fact that it needs a good cleaning??
My DH said he'll help me do Billy's cleaning method. I'm terrified of taking it apart!! :D

OH- I need a new belt. It turns but the belt is bad.
If you can't find a belt, I bet Billy has them.

Your Redeye looks very nice! Congratulations on your find! I am still looking for a Redeye, but I want a treadle!

Nancy
Old 09-17-2010, 06:51 PM

Thanks Miz Johnny, I appreciate any help.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Nancy I love your machine, the shuttle machines intimidate me, I have 2 and don't understand how to thread the bobbin or just how to make them work.

Could someone tell me how you clean the bottom iron legs to make them look nice and black?
BZ quilting, all I did to the treadle, besides cleaning and oiling it, was spray it with Scotts Liquid Gold. That is the way I get all my treadle iron to shine! Scotts Liquid Gold is what Billy says to use on your old machines to shine them up too (that is after you clean all the years of gunk off)!

Nancy
Thanks Bo Jangles
Old 09-17-2010, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Howard here is my Model 127 1913 Sphinx treadle.

Billy, Miz Johnny, as far as I can tell, the only difference in these two machines is where the bobbin winder is located. Correct?

Nancy
Hi Nancy, Me again. You do great work , machines are beautiful after you do them. Thank you so much for the pics. I guess I don't have a MDL 27 after all. The bobbin winder on my machine is much higher also the handwheel is smaller. Maybe it is a MDL 28? Wish I was better at this stuff. You are all so good at it. Thanks again, Loraine
Old 09-17-2010, 08:14 PM

Did I read someplace that the Kenmore used to be the Minnesota? Maybe I'm hallucinating. LOL Also, another question: Is :shuttle" another word for bobbin ? Is it shaped like a bullet ? I have one like that now and I remember my mother's treadle machine had one also. Wish I had that treadle now . Also had a "Victrola " , anyone remember those ? Careful now your're going to be showing your age LOL
Old 09-17-2010, 08:29 PM

Nancy,
I cannot believe how you made that machine and cabinet look so nice. It is awesome. My treadles and FW are not nearly in that bad of shape, but you and Billy inspire me to try to clean mine. I'll try to gather some courage and follow Billy's tutes. Now I have to decide which one to use as practice.