Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 540 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 40 440 490 530 539 540 541 550 590 640 1040 1540 ... LastLast
Results 13,476 to 13,500 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Blog Entries
    jtapp9, my 301 has a diffuser over the lightbulb. I checked the book and it says to remove the lamp cover before changing the bulb. Can you sew without it? - I would think so. Might have a glare on the black machine.

qltndog, to grease (Singer Lubricant) the 301's spiral gears, you take off the top by removing 2 screws on the top and apply the lubricant to the gears on the right side. There are two spots, one on the far right and one more to left and front. Then flip her over, remove the bottom cover and fill the grease tube, again on the right. There are some oil spots in both areas, too. My printed manual says to do the top gears once a year and the grease tube every six months.

AnnieRose, the 301, gets quieter with every oiling and with use. There is a tiny click sound that may be inherent to the machine. I remember hearing it long ago in home ec and those were new machines. My other machine is an Elna SU which is virtually silent, so all machines sound noisy to me.

All the 'new' machines are so special.
    Bojangles, It's a shame about the packaging. My ebay seller did a wonderful job. S/He used very heavy bubblewrap and the strongest package tape I've ever had to remove inside a very heavy cardboard box.

Blog Entries
    Nancy, I feel so bad for you. I know how excited I get when I bring home a new SM or anticipate arrival of one through the mail. I hope the SM was not damaged.

JulieT, Liking your Domestic ~ very retro. Great color combo. And the 301 is pretty Sweet too.

Judy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jtapp9
    I forgot I had this :). A couple months ago I got her out and cleaned the bobbin area and oiled her really good. Messed with her all night and finally got her humming and producing and awesome stitch! This led me on a search again and somehow I found this virtual vintage shop :)

The receipt says 9/18/1973 (YES, I have his original receipt!) and I do not know if he bought it new or used. I'm guessing new. It is a Domestic 816 Green. The S/N is 2111. I can't find a manual on THIS model :(

Anybody know any thing more about it?
    Can't help you any, but it is purdy!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles
    Well, the machine I bought off of e-bay arrived. This is my first and probably last time buying a sewing machine off of e-bay. I had asked the seller to use lots of foam peanuts around the machine and case. He used none. Shipped with no packing. This is the way it arrived - even in the post office they knew by the way it sounded - the cardboard box was all crushed.
    Nancy
    That is sad, sad. The decals really look nice.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
    And yet another 221 Featherweight... Over the weekend I was able to get to this little machine and work on it. I had purchased it very cheaply because it was not running. Thanks to Tomilu's advice I got it all greased up again, cleaned and oiled all the mechanical parts, and now it sews like a charm! The grease tubes had very little grease in them and packing them with grease was all it took to get the motor going again. Such simple little machines... I also polished up the case with black shoe polish, which improved it's appearance 100%.
    She looks really nice. Good job, girl!!!

I forgot I had this :). Not really, just didnt' think of it in terms of vintage until I saw someone mention 1975.

My bosses dad gave me this and the cabinet it came it, right before his wife died 2 years ago. He died a month later.

At the time I messed with it a little and couldnt' get a decent stitch so I put it away. I kept trying to find information but i keep coming up blank.

A couple months ago I got her out and cleaned the bobbin area and oiled her really good. Messed with her all night and finally got her humming and producing and awesome stitch! This led me on a search again and somehow I found this virtual vintage shop :)

The receipt says 9/18/1973 (YES, I have his original receipt!) and I do not know if he bought it new or used. I'm guessing new. It is a Domestic 816 Green. The S/N is 2111. I can't find a manual on THIS model :(

Anybody know any thing more about it?
    Well, here is all I came up with. I enjoy the research part of the machines. Read to the end of the piece about White's green machines. http://www.sewalot.com/domestic%20sewing%20machine.htm

Melinda

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneK
    Tammy, very cute little white FW. What year is it? I have two white FW's - both 1964.

Nancy

My white featherweight is also from 1964...it seems everyone I've talked to about these white 221's has one from 1964. Anyone have one manufactured in a different year? Just curious.[/quote]

I have two white FW and one is dated July 22, 1963 the other is March 3, 1964.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tomilu
    Well, the machine I bought off of e-bay arrived. This is my first and probably last time buying a sewing machine off of e-bay. I had asked the seller to use lots of foam peanuts around the machine and case. He used none. Shipped with no packing. This is the way it arrived - even in the post office they knew by the way it sounded - the cardboard box was all crushed.
    Nancy
    That is sad, sad. The decals really look nice.
    Nancy sorry to hear about the machine. Hope you will get your money back.
    I won a 30l in a case and when it arrived and I opened the latches the case fell apart. Machine was ok just 2 bent thread guides but DH fixed them. The seller refunded part of the money enought to get another case which we did.

We got a machine from Tomilu and didn't think we were going to find it she packed it so well. Arrived in great shape. Thanks Tomilu

:thumbup:

Blog Entries
    We have found a great packing product. Airplane parts are packed in sheets of a plastic product that has layers. We just peel off to the thickness we need and cut to fit. Makes packing much easier and faster. We can get it at the airplane plant yard sale they have each week. It comes free in the wooden boxes we get for $1 each. A friend uses the boxes to cut up and heat his shop with.

Blog Entries
    A new friend has a celery FW in the case she is wanting to sell. When I get it, I will take pics and post to the classifieds. She is a single mom who needs the money, so I said I'd help her find a buyer. I may get it this am.

So much for having a machine that says "made in occupied Japan." I will hold out for one locally.

Billy do you know where I can get, or do you have the hinges (that are completely broken) that hold the machine in the case?

Nancy
    What a complete idiot... But the machine itself looks okay. If you can get it installed into a nice appropriate cabinet you may still have a great beauty there. I would definitely demand money back for the destroyed base.

No telling what our old Singers have all been through in the hands of owners like this. They are tanks, tho, and hard to destroy.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by melinda1962

Well, here is all I came up with. I enjoy the research part of the machines. Read to the end of the piece about White's green machines. http://www.sewalot.com/domestic%20sewing%20machine.htm

Melinda
    Yeah, i found that article too. It's kind of confusing to me though because it implies none were made after 1950 and I really didn't think this machine was that old.

Blog Entries
    Yipeeeeeee - Billy page 900!

Well, I e-mailed the ebay seller yesterday. He said he "ships a lot of electronics and machines and packs them very well." What an idiot. This will happen again if he is selling sewing machines. He put it in a cardboard box with a little paper, taped it up very little and sent it! I am going to leave him with negative feedback.

On the bright side, we found some hinges so if DH can rebuild the cabinet the machine will be ok. I need to find the patch stuff that Billy uses to fix the machine gouges, but this machine is salvagable -- just going to take work. If the machine could be used free standing, I wouldn't worry about the case - since it is a 99 clone it has to sit in something to use. Still it is a cute little machine.

Nancy

Banned

Nancy
    Yea!! Its hard to believe it has made it this far. If it were not for you guys it would never have taken off and done so well. I am glad you all feel at home here!

But I am sorry I havent been in the shop in a while, today is really the first day I felt like doing anything as simple as to get on the computer. The entire house has an upper respiratory infection including all of my dogs. :roll: It has been all I can do just to answer a few PM's here and there.

I have been running a fever and feel like I have been hit by a truck. I have coughed so hard for so long that my chest is sore from it. But I am going to try and jump into the shower (its been a few days) and get a few things in the mail for my customers and come home and try to rest a little more. Maybe tomorrow I can get back out to the studio and get some more repaints and services done.

I am going to have to jump back about 20 pages to start to catch up on everything. :lol:

Billy

Billy, sorry to hear you're so under the weather. I had that and it is like whooping cough where you cough so hard you can't get your breath! Do take care of yourselves and the dogs too and you will enjoy all the new machines that you have missed on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51

Nancy
    Yea!! Its hard to believe it has made it this far. If it were not for you guys it would never have taken off and done so well. I am glad you all feel at home here!

But I am sorry I havent been in the shop in a while, today is really the first day I felt like doing anything as simple as to get on the computer. The entire house has an upper respiratory infection including all of my dogs. :roll: It has been all I can do just to answer a few PM's here and there.

I have been running a fever and feel like I have been hit by a truck. I have coughed so hard for so long that my chest is sore from it. But I am going to try and jump into the shower (its been a few days) and get a few things in the mail for my customers and come home and try to rest a little more. Maybe tomorrow I can get back out to the studio and get some more repaints and services done.

I am going to have to jump back about 20 pages to start to catch up on everything. :lol:

Billy

Hubby & I will be keeping you and your family (fur babies included) in our prayers.

Blessings to you Billy.

Sandi & Danny

Blog Entries

Billy
    Billy are you sure you don't have whopping cough? I have heard it is going around now that most people have stopped immunizing against it. I know a couple adults who went in for physicals and their Dr's gave them whopping cough shots.

Hope you get better soon!

Nancy

Blog Entries

Nancy

But I am sorry I haven't been in the shop in a while, today is really the first day I felt like doing anything as simple as to get on the computer. The entire house has an upper respiratory infection including all of my dogs. :roll: It has been all I can do just to answer a few PM's here and there.

Billy

Wowza!! I'd hate to have to go back and read from page 1. Missing a day or 2 takes time to get caught back up. I wished I would have kept notes of pictures and information so that I could use it as a reference.... now I swim through 20 -30 pages to locate the information I "think" I saw "someplace". LOL.

Billy - Hope you get to feeling better. The respiratory influenza that has been going around kicks butt. Best not to over do or you'll find yourself dragging for another 2-3 weeks.

[quote=Lostn51But I am sorry I havent been in the shop in a while, today is really the first day I felt like doing anything as simple as to get on the computer. The entire house has an upper respiratory infection including all of my dogs. :roll: It has been all I can do just to answer a few PM's here and there.
    repaints and services done.
    Billy[/quote]

There's a nasty virus going around; my daughter has been sick with it for at least 3 weeks, and I'm hearing similar stories from others. Take care that it doesn't go into something worse.

http://ech.cwru.edu/ech-cgi/article.pl?id=WCII says the story better.

Melinda
    Yeah, i found that article too. It's kind of confusing to me though because it implies none were made after 1950 and I really didn't think this machine was that old.

Blog Entries
    I had asked the seller to use lots of foam peanuts around the machine and case. He used none.

Nancy

Well, even a lot of packing peanuts doesn't always work. My 1917 Western Electric arrived yesterday with LOTS of peanuts in the box, but just not enough. The machine had shifted around in the box, and the bottom box part of the case came apart. I'll post pictures of it tonight...my DH had to unscrew the hinges to release the machine from the side of the case, which had completely separated. A couple of pieces of wood split. Luckily he's a wood guy and was able to glue it and put his large clamps on it overnight. It's not perfect, but it'll hold the machine again.

BTW...I was right when I said he would KILL me when he found out I bought ANOTHER MaCHINE!! :-) He was mad for about 10 minutes....then he got to work fixing the case, and got over it. He said "good thing it's pretty, or I would be really mad!!"

:-)

Blog Entries
    [quote=Miz Johnny]
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51But I am sorry I havent been in the shop in a while, today is really the first day I felt like doing anything as simple as to get on the computer. The entire house has an upper respiratory infection including all of my dogs. :roll: It has been all I can do just to answer a few PM's here and there.
    repaints and services done.
    Billy[/quote

There's a nasty virus going around; my daughter has been sick with it for at least 3 weeks, and I'm hearing similar stories from others. Take care that it doesn't go into something worse.

Yes, that particular virus is really a "hanger on"....up to 4 weeks for some people...cough, fatigue, aches. Hang on...it'll go away. Sorry you are all ill. It went through California about a couple of months ago...I had it over Christmas.

Congratulations on 900 pages, Billy!! We love hanging out here to find information on our machines. My new hobby-ette is my 4 vintage machines.

Elna Supermatic - have not gone through it yet.
    Singer 301a - love it and am sewing on it
    Singer 99-13 - haven't touched it yet...hope to make it a hand crank.
    Western Electric - just arrived, had to fix case after shipping damage. Seller said she has been sewing on it daily, and I believe it from how it looks. Will try it this coming weekend.

You all are an inspiration to me. Now I have to stop buying machines for a while, and just play with my 4. My DH about KILLED me when the Western showed up yesterday!! "Another machine??? Good thing it's pretty!"

LOL

Congrats on 900 pages. I need to clean up my "new" machines and get them inside.

So much to look at here on the board, but thankfully, some of the problems are getting worked out. It is still slow to post and does not always allow me to reply.

Blog Entries
    http://ech.cwru.edu/ech-cgi/article.pl?id=WCII says the story better.

Melinda
    Thanks!

I think I have read that one too, but a second time around I seemed to have absorbed more :).

I'm really wondering in anyone (billy?) would have a way of dating my machine with the model and serial number. Or know where I can get a manual. I found a place with manuals but not for the 816.

I see Billy has been sick though so maybe soon after he feels better and gets caught up here.

And for the record, Ihave been going back and trying to read a few pages everyday from the beginning :shock: I think I'm around pg 50 :)

Quote Originally Posted by jljackquote

You all are an inspiration to me. Now I have to stop buying machines for a while, and just play with my 4. My DH about KILLED me when the Western showed up yesterday!! "Another machine??? Good thing it's pretty!"

LOL
    You need to find him a hobby to hold over his head. My husband plays poker and tennis and watches a LOT of sports. Plus I'm pretty mean when I get mad, and the husband really wants to keep me happy. Heh heh.

All joking aside, this hobby has sustained me through some pretty bleak times, and if all it takes is a few sewing machines to perk up your life, it's a very <pick one> safe, cheap, entertaining--hobby. If people raise their eyebrows (or, since many folks have little sense--make nasty comments), just tell then you spent your crack money on the new machine. And THEN tell me what they said!!