Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-23-2011, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Originally Posted by jljack
Speaking of quilts finished on vintage machines, we had a sew-in at guild meeting yesterday and did a Jelly Roll Race. I took my 301a with me, and guess what....we WON the Jelly Roll Race. There were lots of high $$$ modern machines and about 6 FWs there too, but me and Ida took the prize!!! WooHoo!! Who says 60 years is old? Ida and I were both "born" in 1951. :-) I was so pleased that she did so well....she just purred along!!
Congratulations!

Isn't it amazing just how fast 301 sew? I can't get over it. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Congratulations on winning the race.
Its almost scary how fast a 301 sews. lol I do love my black 301 short bed. I finally got it all cleaned up and oiled enough that she sews like the wind now.
:-D
Don't you just love that beautiful little tick-tick-tick they make? :D :D
Old 07-23-2011, 09:57 PM

Hey Janice - Congrats on winning the jelly roll race! End result doesn't look so bad! What are you going to do with it?

I bought a machine today off Craigslist. A blackside 1949 128-23 with a "bentwood" case in really good condition. Is this a good find? I know the price was great, but are these machines in much demand? Will post pictures tomorrow probably.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Candace
Hi again. I need help. I've already ranted enough for one day so I won't get into all the details. But, let's just say I bought a 301A today, got it home and it was missing the bobbin case. Grrrr....

So, I'm in a grumpy mood to start with. I oiled it up cleaned it all and it seems to be in working condition(minus the case). But, here's the problem. I can't get the feed dogs to lower. I can turn the knob until it won't turn anymore and I put the stitch length in neutral, yet the feed dogs continue to move. Any idea what I should do??? I guess it's better for them to be stuck in the "up" position, rather than down, but I'd like to try FMQ with it AFTER I find a bobbin case for it. Help!
Candace, mine wouldn't move at first either. I had to open up the bottom and oil the mechanism that lowers the feedogs really well, and turn the little knob back and forth and oil down there too. Then I moved them up and down several times, and finally they were moving smoothly. They are still somewhat tight to move, but they do move. As long as they lower, don't worry about them moving. It won't do anything.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
NO NO NO!! NOT the dump!!! To my house for safekeeping!! :lol:
You can send those handcranks my way...after I got the one, I absolutely LOVE that thing, and actually prefer it to the treadle!!

Just imagine...we could pop a couple of corks...sip some wine...sort some parts...sip more wine....port more sarts...sip more wine...more sarts port... ;)

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Oh yeah--you guys sound like my husband. He thinks it should all go to the dump. If he knew how much money I have invested, he wouldn't suggest THAT again, now would he?? LOL!
There are at least 10 treadles, "many" HC's and electrics, boxes of attachments, parts, etc., as well as about a ton of fabric. (And several cases of wine.) I should have taken pictures when I started; it would have been much more impressive. I've been working a long time, but have a long way to go yet.

It IS my new hobby. I do, at least, have most parts organized so I can find them when I need them.

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
How long can you stay? I'm expecting this to take at least another 5 years.
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
I'm coming over to help you clean your basement!!!! :)
We'll work in shifts!! I wanna play...er...ah...."work" too!! :lol:
Haahahaaa! OMG! How big is that basement?! I'm a diligent worker, maybe it could be done in less time. :)
With Charlee helping and others maybe we could be finished within a week!
Haha!! MY kinda work day!!!! :thumbup:
Old 07-23-2011, 10:19 PM

[quote=jljack][quote=vintagemotif]
Speaking of quilts finished on vintage machines,

Hahaha!! They cut up some donated pretty ugly fabrics into jelly rolls for this one event. They sold them for $5 each, because no one wanted to buy the fabric otherwise! LOL Anyway, you sew all 40 strips end to end, totaling 1600 inches. When they say GO, you bring the ends together, front to front, and sew all down that one very long side...800". When you get to the end, you cut the fold and flatten it out, and bring the ends together again, sew, clip, flatten, sew, etc. for a total of 5 times. Here's what mine looked like when done. Shocking, isn't it??? :shock:
That is very interesting! What are you going to do with your strip top now? You could cut out 60 degree triangles and then sew together to form a hexi, then use a background fabric. Like Bennett did with the spider quilt seen here: http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-134918-7.htm
Old 07-23-2011, 10:23 PM

I have no idea what I am going to do with it. Maybe a dog bed? They wouldn't mind the colors!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Old 07-23-2011, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Candace
Hi again. I need help. I've already ranted enough for one day so I won't get into all the details. But, let's just say I bought a 301A today, got it home and it was missing the bobbin case. Grrrr....

So, I'm in a grumpy mood to start with. I oiled it up cleaned it all and it seems to be in working condition(minus the case). But, here's the problem. I can't get the feed dogs to lower. I can turn the knob until it won't turn anymore and I put the stitch length in neutral, yet the feed dogs continue to move. Any idea what I should do??? I guess it's better for them to be stuck in the "up" position, rather than down, but I'd like to try FMQ with it AFTER I find a bobbin case for it. Help!
Candace, mine wouldn't move at first either. I had to open up the bottom and oil the mechanism that lowers the feedogs really well, and turn the little knob back and forth and oil down there too. Then I moved them up and down several times, and finally they were moving smoothly. They are still somewhat tight to move, but they do move. As long as they lower, don't worry about them moving. It won't do anything.
That's just it, they won't lower:< But, I'll keep at them with the sewing machine oil I guess and see if they decide to cooperate?
Old 07-23-2011, 11:11 PM

I bought a machine today off Craigslist. A blackside 1949 128-23 with a "bentwood" case in really good condition. Is this a good find? I know the price was great, but are these machines in much demand? Will post pictures tomorrow probably.[/quote]

The blacksides are hard to come by. Lucky you. Looking forward to seeing pictures. Kathie
Old 07-24-2011, 12:38 AM

Well, later today I'm off to my SIL's house to pick up a Whtie treadle machine. Don't know what shape it will be in, what accessories or books may be with it or even what the machine itself looks like. I noticed the base cabinet and the distinctive 'white' in the iron treadle a week ago and asked about the machine, my SIL offered it to me since she just used it as a sometime side table on the downstairs level. So, I hoping the machine will be in decent shape. I know it has been made electric 'not sure what that means yet) , but I plan to get her pedaling again. I take some pictures to post when I can. Oh - what's the best way to transport this - remove the head from the base if I can?
Old 07-24-2011, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
they don't have to lower their standards for little ole me.

It is their loss. I would have thought that it would raise their standards by going that extra mile for their customers. But then what do I know. Kathie
Kathie, a lot of business got away from that type of business, because they were taking such a loss. You just gave me an idea, I'll just lay-away the fund in a savings and then I can make that really happen for me. Thank you, Kathie.