Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-02-2011, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by Suzi
I keep reading about having a machine re-timed and would like to ask what that means..... Does that apply only to the newer machines or do the old vintage and antique machines require that. How would you know if your machine needed that service anyway?
When the timing is off, you'll have tons of skipped stitches, or you won't be able to sew without breaking needles. The timing is the correlation between the needle dropping into the bobbin area, and the bobbin shuttle being in the right position to catch the thread from the needle and loop around it. (so to speak)
It applies no matter what machine you have or how old it is, and while sewing machine repair guys would have you believe that it's brain surgery, it's not all that tough to accomplish...good instructions and a little patience will get you through setting the timing on your machine. :)
Thanks for that explanation. I had a vague idea of "timing," but that makes it much more clear. :)
Old 08-02-2011, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by dirty1mom
I am going Thursday evening to pick this up. CL pic. Funny how you just can't say no to a $40.00 99K with attachments.
Nice! I'm appreciating the little 99s more and more. Took one of mine to my sister this weekend after giving it the once over. She was surprised how quiet it was. I thought it was still kinda noisy at full speed. :) Even my brother-in-law was impressed with it.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
Originally Posted by justtrish
I am going Thursday evening to pick this up. CL pic. Funny how you just can't say no to a $40.00 99K with attachments.

ohhhh that looks just like mine, cabinet and all!!
How does yours run? Does it have a good stitch? This will be my first 99 and don't know much about them othere than what I have read here. Sorry I can't help with the sneaking in of the sewing machine. I just carry mine in and put it somewhere. I guess there are advantages to living alone!
It doesn't run yet... the motor whirssss/then little sparks but nothing happens... ohh..wait.. maybe the umm...knob inside the wheel..needs tightening.. :(
Little sparks sound dangerous. :shock:
ohhh you are right...Probably why I haven't touched it sense :)
Old 08-02-2011, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by deplaylady
Originally Posted by jljack
Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Looky what came in the mail from Billy (Lostin51) :mrgreen:
It's awesome!!!!!!
Very nice!! I love pink and green machines...they look so elegant!! :-)
Billy did a fantastic job on that machine - it does look elegant!
I did win my auction - it's green - not sure it is elegant - but it looks fun!
I think the 185's are adorable....I have one sitting on the table right behind me :mrgreen:
Old 08-02-2011, 06:11 PM

Hi Honeys...I'm home!! Just resting up for a few before we bring Mamie in the house and I test her out and take photos!! She had some issues that didn't show in the Craig's list photos, but she's still a beauty, and I love this machine!!

Will post pics soon... :)
And you know we'll be waiting -------- congratulations on your new beauty!
Can't wait to see it!
Old 08-02-2011, 06:24 PM

I keep reading about having a machine re-timed and would like to ask what that means..... Does that apply only to the newer machines or do the old vintage and antique machines require that. How would you know if your machine needed that service anyway?
When the timing is off, you'll have tons of skipped stitches, or you won't be able to sew without breaking needles. The timing is the correlation between the needle dropping into the bobbin area, and the bobbin shuttle being in the right position to catch the thread from the needle and loop around it. (so to speak)
It applies no matter what machine you have or how old it is, and while sewing machine repair guys would have you believe that it's brain surgery, it's not all that tough to accomplish...good instructions and a little patience will get you through setting the timing on your machine. :)
This is a Youtube video showing exactly what happens when the needle enters the hook area. Skip ahead to 1.25 minutes into the video, to see it, if you don't want to watch the whole thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHhlHbUYwV8

It's really cool to actually see what is happening when we sew.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by grayhare
http://modesto.craigslist.org/atq/2523182569.html
Take a look at this, it must have been buried somewhere.
This is one looks just like that at a local consignment shop...priced at $35!!
Old 08-02-2011, 06:29 PM

oh my word looookkkkk

http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/drh/atq/2525570721.html

Who's coming with me....?? anyone?
I see a fw...
I'm so glad they're not anywhere near Texas. :lol:
Old 08-02-2011, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by wannaquilt1
I have a question for everyone. I took in my Singer 201 that I posted here a few days ago to get refurbished. The man told me he might just get a cover for the wire in the back cuz he doesn't know if he can re-wire the motor and hes putting in a new foot pedal. Does this sound right? I called another guy and he said since it's in the cabinet he wouldn't even worry about the wiring that it should be safe cuz the wire isn't out in the open???? Should I be concerned? I thought they would just re-wire it so I could be done with it...
Nope!!!! It doesn't sound right! It sounds as if they just don't know how to do it. On one of my Yahoo vintage machine groups they said to bring it to anyone who works on motors (for rewiring a sewing machine). You don't want to fool around with bad wiring and just because the wires aren't "out in the open" doesn't make it safe :shock:
Old 08-02-2011, 06:38 PM

Off to post pics in the photo thread...this machine sews beautifully!! :)