Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-15-2011, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
I have a question to all Singer 319W owners. I posted a picture of my machine a few pages back. What # bobbin case is the original? The bobbin case that came with my machine is a vintage Simanco 173058 (the closed type). I see some online stores list this bobbin as the replacement part. Yet, I saw on ebay a posting for the "open" bobbin case where the seller states that if you're using the closed type it's the wrong one. Huh? Can you please let me know what bobbin you have in yours? I would rather not have to buy a new bobbin case, but I also would prefer the correct one! Thanks.
I ordered both of the ones that online sellers said would fit mine, and the 173058 actually did. It is closed and uses the 206x13 needles. The open one was supposed to work with 15x1 needles, but did not, because there is a little peg in the bobbin housing, or race, that the 173058 has a slot for. I ordered mine from

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=260498415261 and it was the one that worked.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
My "new" Brother machine (from eBay), I LOVE the color---looks like Black Raspberry ice cream....yum. The only problem is that it broke out of the base during shipping and I can not get the remaining hinge out. It's crooked but stuck--big time. I'm having a hard time seeing underneath it but I'm hoping that there might be a screw or something that will release it.
Cathy I love your new pink Brother!! Can't wait to see it sitting up right. Hope it's OK when you get it straightened out.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:06 PM

Singer Slant new walking foot $12.75 ship $1.95 3 avail

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT
Old 08-15-2011, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by Candace
Here is my new (old) Singer 319W born around 1954ish in the original table. The table is a bit rough, but is functional. I spent 2 hours cleaning it. It was DIRTY. The machine sounds very loud, but I just downloaded the manual and will oil it tomorrow. I'm also ordering up the special needles it takes as the needle in the machine is so old I can't read the numbers on it. The machine came with like 28 discs and is in good condition. I few chips of paint, but I'm so excited with my find!!! I love it. I just hope I can get it to quiet down a bit.
Candace, Nice machine! Are you a member of the Gold Country Treadleon group? There is a gathering September 10th. This machine would be fun to show off at the event- at least I would love to see your machine.

Another CA folks on this board planning to show at the GCTOGA ? I went to the MINI TOGA in June and had a blast! There were some gorgeous machines that were shown along with quilting projects.
Monica, I am hoping to be able to go, and Quiltncowgirl had said she would like to go, too. I am hoping to get my DH interested enough in the vintage/antique machines so that he will start learning to work on them....this could be our retirement business!! But I am sure he won't come to this TOGA...maybe next Spring.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by jljack
So, on with the story about the Singer 1891 machine and treadle that Quiltncowgirl and I got and split.

Here's my 1909 66-1 in the cabinet now. I think she looks very smart in there!! But still not sewing...I have to check if the hook is moving. She was dry as sand when I got her, and I have been oiling her for days. Some stuff is still really really tight.

More pics on the pics thread. The coffin top, etc.
BEAUTIFUL! I love your cabinet and machine. Once you get this gal running, you will love her. My Singer 66-1 made me fall in love with treadling- and seeking other machines to play with.

I did find that she performed much better after numerous oiling and sewing practices. I did have to play around with the tension to get a pretty stitch, a trial and error method. I learned to treadle with the 66 and at first have ugly stitches. If this is your first in treadling, be patient with yourself and the machine.

Gorgeous setup! Enjoy! And thanks for sharing!
Thanks, Monica. I actually have been "dry running" the treadling, and I don't have a problem getting a rhythm. The machine turns very freely now, but still not making a stitch. I haven't turned it over to watch the hook move. I'm in the middle of making a big quilt that I want to get finished this week. Hope next weekend I'll be able to spend some time with "Harriet" and get her stitching!! :-) If not, I'll bring her to the TOGA to see if anyone can get her going.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:16 PM

Jljack

Thanks, Monica. I actually have been "dry running" the treadling, and I don't have a problem getting a rhythm. The machine turns very freely now, but still not making a stitch. I haven't turned it over to watch the hook move. I'm in the middle of making a big quilt that I want to get finished this week. Hope next weekend I'll be able to spend some time with "Harriet" and get her stitching!! :-) If not, I'll bring her to the TOGA to see if anyone can get her going.
Hi,
I'm wondering if you have the needle in correctly? The flat side goes in facing to the right and threads from left to right(outside to inside).
Sharon W.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Bennett

That is such a well-kept cabinet. Very pretty design, do you have any idea what the style name is for the cabinet? Your lotus machine looks very happy in there. :)
No, I don't know the style of the cabinet. The coffin top has a lot of carving on it too. I put pics of it in the pics thread. It's a very beautiful cabinet....and very very well cared for. It's now 120 years old.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Help, please. I really, really want a metal darning foot for my Singer 301. Where, oh where, can I find one? By metal I mean the part that is closest to the fabric. On my other machines, I have shaved the front part of that circle off so I can see where I am going.

I did locate what the person said was an original for the 301 but with shipping and such it would close to $35. I am I being unreasonable in looking for one???????????? :shock:
Check at April 1930s...she has lots of attachments for Featherweights and 301s.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by lovelyl

Thanks for the explaination! I had never seen a straight leg treadle before. Now I want one! :lol:
Yes, me too!! I have been looking for one here, but so far no luck. Now I'll have to wait, since I totally "outed" myself with my DH and he knows about ALL my machines!! LOL He actually took it pretty good...he loves me!! And he doesn't like to get mad....but now I have to wait for a while to get any more. I'm sure he guesses more will come....but I don't want to push him!! LOL
Old 08-15-2011, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by JaneK
Originally Posted by miriam
Is that one of the wooden straight leg treadles that were just discussed on this board? Looks like it should be, but I'm not positive as I've never seen them.
Must have sold it...it's gone now.