Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-23-2011, 05:27 PM

I've been reading on this thread for over a year and I've collected a few vintage machines (all electric) so far. My question is: Are there books, reference materials or web-sites that has an overview of the machines? A history of what companies made what machines and when.

Also if you could have only 1 (yes, I said 1) which machine would you select.

Thanks in advance for the info.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:43 PM

I hope you mean one of each.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher

I hope you mean one of each.
Crossstitcher, I actually meant one machine only, not one of each kind, but I'm easy so tell me which one of each kind you'd pick.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MarieM
I've been reading on this thread for over a year and I've collected a few vintage machines (all electric) so far. My question is: Are there books, reference materials or web-sites that has an overview of the machines? A history of what companies made what machines and when.

Thanks in advance for the info.
There is no way I could pick just one...........

Billy
Old 08-23-2011, 06:12 PM

[tquote=MarieM]I've been reading on this thread for over a year and I've collected a few vintage machines (all electric) so far. My question is: Are there books, reference materials or web-sites that has an overview of the machines? A history of what companies made what machines and when.

Thanks in advance for the info.[/quote]
Check out my "my pages", I have links to most of the sites that have been posted to the QB. Hope that helps. There is so muchinfo here, you
Have to have it marked it, or youd never keep track!!
Old 08-23-2011, 06:15 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quilt addict
Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by jljack
I wonder if you could take it to a weld shop and have it repaired
They are easily found at the online parts stores, and not expensive.
I wonder if JB Weld would hold it together?
Miriam, I hope that you are on line and feeling better as I recall you were starting back to work I think? How's the itching?

I thought about JB but not sure it will hold as it may be stressed when you push down to engage the tire onto the handwheel. But I may try it.

Thank you for the great information on basic trouble shooting. If I can ever get a machine back together totally and in a cabinet to try sewing I am sure it will come in handy. :-)
Today, I broke out fresh all over where I thought I was just about healed. - I should be over it by now.... this started the first part of July. At least is isn't as severe as the last time. We did figure out it is NOT poison ivy - it is either sumac or Virginia Creeper - those rash out much worse than PI. The VC can last up to 8 weeks and the medicine doesn't work BUT I already knew that... My best friend says I need to work with oregano oil, probiotics/green stuff and grape leaf to get my system to fight it. I've been back at work - got all the extra work done in spite of the rash and broken toe. I've needed to get in my shop but haven't felt very energetic for a while. Maybe I'm habitually lazy. My garden is in ruins... We had 3 tomatoes, one cucumber, one weird volunteer zucchini and one batch of green beans this year. I have had to stay out of the sun too. DH set up a work bench for me, lots of shelves and I found a drawer unit for my small parts. I just have to get in there, sort things, figure out what I have. Then I have some machines to finish working on. I would like to get DH to do a motor tune up tutorial if we can squeeze in the time. Who knows maybe somebody already has a motor tutorial and we just have to Google find it. If you look at my blog we are supposedly fixing up a house. We have had some other detours along the way. The weekend before last we got ready to take some of the junk that was in that house to the recycle place and discovered that our truck windshield had been bashed in. It took time but since someone already bashed in the driver door, we just replaced the truck - it was time anyway. We also witnessed a shoot out when we picked up the replacement truck. Life around here sure is an adventure. Nothing to lose by trying the JB - let everybody know if it works.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:16 PM

I didn't think about "my pages". I've been taking notes but then its hard to find what I'm looking for. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:17 PM
Power Poster

ONLY ONE SEWING MACHINE?????? WHO ARE YOU TRYING TO KID?????????????
Old 08-23-2011, 06:19 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jljack
Originally Posted by grayhare
It is funny how you can go from crazy high prices, to something like this.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/atq/2562192978.html
If I was out there I would break my neck getting there and then I'd have whiplash getting money out of my pocket...
Me too! I'm out here, but a little south, and this weekend....no $$$!!! :cry:
story of my life...
Old 08-23-2011, 06:22 PM

LOL at the horror caused by the thought of 'just one sewing machine'. (Like, 'pick your favorite fabric of all time...') This might be sacrilegious on this thread, but I would probably pick my Bernina 430... it has been good to me the couple/three years I have had it.

And thank you so much for the answers about my new/old Singer! I appreciate it!