Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-22-2011, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Originally Posted by Candace
Really? It looks to me like something important is missing. LOL!! http://sacramento.craigslist.org/atq/2558740420.html
It's an invisible machine :shock: :shock: :shock: :mrgreen:

But the cabinet might be worth that price even without a machine.
I'd pay that for a cabinet. In fact, I paid $75 for the cabinet and irons I got for my 66 Lotus. But it was a really nice mahogany cabinet that was nearly perfect and did not need any work at all.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
I worked this weekend on cleaning up my Standard sewing machine in treadle. I picked this one up for free about a month ago. A cute couple were in the Bay Area to oversee a sale of a house, and they needed this machine out of the house quickly. The machine had been the guy's grandmother's machine. He was so happy to see the machine go to someone who would clean it up and use the machine.

After I got the cabinet and machine all cleaned up, I gave it a test drive. Well, at first I couldn't get the machine to pick up the bobbin thread. I looked online for a manual with no avail. My first thought was that the bobbin must not be in correctly. So, I read White rotary manuals, Domestic rotary manuals, and any other rotary manual for a treadle machine that I could find on the internet. The Standard bobbin looks just a wee bit different from the Whites, but not too much difference in technology. I decided that the bobbin wasn't the issue and decided to study the mechanism for picking up the threads. Light bulb went off! I realized that I needed to turn the hand wheel away from me, just like a White. What a Duh moment!!!

Her name is Rose; named after the grandmother.
She is a sweet machine, and she stitches beautifully!
Rose is beautiful. Isn't it fun when you get these old ladies running? My Lotus is just so fun. I oiled the treadle mechanism this weekend and I'll give her a run some time this week to see if it goes faster.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:16 AM

Nanamoms, so sorry for your experience. A few months ago I bought my first 301A. As a matter of course, I asked her if she had sewn on it.. yes, she told me of all of the items she had made for her grandkids.

Well, when I started to sew on it, the needle kept falling out. She had it in the machine backwards. Now, how could she have sewn with it if she didn't know the correct way to put the needle in?

I would have purchased it even if she hadn't sewn on it. So, I was left wondering why she felt she had to lie! :roll:
Old 08-22-2011, 10:24 AM

I found a find today, I think. I was banging around in a thrift store I'd never been in before (I'm at home with my dad while he recovers) and found a Pfaff 130. In a cabinet, door with two shelves on one side, four drawers on the other, and a stool that fits under and makes it look like solid furniture. it's got all of its accessories, plus the manual, I think-the one drawer I can't opn more than half an inch or so has shiny paper in it. All of the parts move, mostly. It needs a good oiling and fuzz-busting.

For $30.

Is this as big a find as I think it is? The ones on ebay are going for stupid money (there's a pic of the same cabinet currently listed, if you're iinterested), but that's not always an acurate gauge. It's going to be a righteous undertaking to get this behemoth in my Vue.

Anybody got any opinions on the subject? I'm currently waiting for my osmg to call me back, too.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:07 AM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SINGER-FEATH...item3cbb224407

Listing on ebay. Seller says the "internal arm belt is broken" but he has a replacement. Is this a hard fix? Only 7 hours to go and no one has bid on it. I was thinking about emailing and making him an offer.

Whatcha think?
Old 08-22-2011, 11:38 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Honchey
Thank You Billy, It's not so much the machine it's the accessories and the cabinet. I may want to have some fun with the machine...like painting it or using it for a door stop. Anne
I vote painting!! ;)

Billy
Old 08-22-2011, 11:40 AM

Very high, but then, I don't live in California.
Originally Posted by grayhare
I found this on CL,
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/atq/2558499406.html
The prices seem high, the machines look very nice.
I like the 185J, but $150 seems high. What do you all think?
Old 08-22-2011, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by MrsBoats
I found a find today, I think. I was banging around in a thrift store I'd never been in before (I'm at home with my dad while he recovers) and found a Pfaff 130. In a cabinet, door with two shelves on one side, four drawers on the other, and a stool that fits under and makes it look like solid furniture. it's got all of its accessories, plus the manual, I think-the one drawer I can't opn more than half an inch or so has shiny paper in it. All of the parts move, mostly. It needs a good oiling and fuzz-busting.

For $30.

Is this as big a find as I think it is? The ones on ebay are going for stupid money (there's a pic of the same cabinet currently listed, if you're iinterested), but that's not always an acurate gauge. It's going to be a righteous undertaking to get this behemoth in my Vue.

Anybody got any opinions on the subject? I'm currently waiting for my osmg to call me back, too.

Great find. They go for $100-$200 locally for me.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Nanamoms
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SINGER-FEATH...item3cbb224407

Listing on ebay. Seller says the "internal arm belt is broken" but he has a replacement. Is this a hard fix? Only 7 hours to go and no one has bid on it. I was thinking about emailing and making him an offer.

Whatcha think?
I guess the later machines had the timing belts on them, I never ran across one that had one on it.

Billy
Old 08-22-2011, 11:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by MrsBoats

For $30.

There is one on my CL that is in a treadle that I am tempted to get.

Billy