Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-07-2011, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by miriam
http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_...e-manuals.html
free manual just scroll down to the 301
Thank you Miriam!
Old 08-07-2011, 07:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sew wishful
Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by sew wishful
Just gotta ask....is 3 in 1 oil not good for machines? How about cleaning them??
It is a paraffin based oil and will leave a build up after so many years. You need a good sewing machine oil and Walmart sells Singer brand oil. I buy mine by the gallons and I will have to see what I pay for it but it is not much $35 or so.

Billy
Walmart sells it??? I was just there and have not seen any! What about the gear grease? Or motor grease?
The gear grease you can either get it at Hancocks or Joanns (Singer brand) or you can go to NAPA and buy Tri-Flow and use that. I swear by Tri-Flow its a synthetic grease and will not hurt any vintage gearing or motors.

Billy
Old 08-07-2011, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Nancy,

That Two Spools is GORGEOUS! I'm just drooling looking at her. Very lovely!!!
Thank you Monica! Willie Sue is a very pretty old gal.

And for you guys all trying to guess what Kathie's Challenge is - I just compared her cabinet to my Davis Vertical Feed cabinet! The two cabinets have the exact same drawer pulls, and the exact same shape.

Nancy
You're wrong Nancy...completely!! I'm just sayin'....
Willie Sue is NOT a "very pretty old gal"...she's GORGEOUS!! ;) Two Spools is on my wish list...I'm thinkin' it might be awhile...I've never seen one in real life!

Davis it is then! :)
Old 08-07-2011, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Here are my latest finds.

My National Two Spools, Willie Sue, had one owner before me! She came with her attachments, manual, warranty, and several letters of correspondence between Ms Willie Sue and the National Sewing Company! Pretty Cool!

The Rocketeer is a 500a from 1961 that I have been playing with all day. I got her yesterday from a yard sale for $15, and she is perfect!

Nancy
The National is just gorgeous! It's neat to have the little bits of paperwork and the story they tell.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Bennett
I've just been catching up from everyone's weekend haul. Such fun to see everything and know it's going to be cleaned up and loved.

My new job(s) schedule lets me have all weekend off (yay!) and I finally got out to clean up my Red Eye yesterday. I didn't expect her to be so shiny! (Posted before and after on the pics page). I can't wait to try treadling. Thanks for the tutorials Billy--they are wonderfully detailed, and I would never have thought of attempting to break down and clean a machine without them.

I also did some FMQ last week on the 15-91. :) I had attempted FMQ years ago on my mom's Huskvarna, but I wasn't really happy with the results so stuck to straight line patterns. Then I saw where people here have been using their vintage machines to FMQ, so I bought another foot and tried it out. It was okay, but not spectacular, kept having some skipped stitches and tension problems. Then I found a random darning foot that I had stuck in a box in a closet, probably because I had no idea what it was. It worked better. Then I found the information by Leah Day on FMQ, kept up my feed dogs, set the stitch to zero, and away I went. It was fun, and the stitch quality looks good to me. No snarls or skipped stitches on my little FMQ doodles. Can't wait to try more! If you're thinking of trying FMQ on a vintage machine, I say go for it.
Bennett,

Work work looks good enough for me! Next time I free motion quilt with my 15 in treadle, I will give this technique a try. Thanks for posting!
I was really surprised at how well it turned out. Before, I always had a few skipped stitches somewhere or would get a snarl on the back. I have top that has been sitting forever that I think I want to try to FMQ now and see how it works for something larger than a piece of paper!
Old 08-07-2011, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by Bennett
I've just been catching up from everyone's weekend haul. Such fun to see everything and know it's going to be cleaned up and loved.

My new job(s) schedule lets me have all weekend off (yay!) and I finally got out to clean up my Red Eye yesterday. I didn't expect her to be so shiny! (Posted before and after on the pics page). I can't wait to try treadling. Thanks for the tutorials Billy--they are wonderfully detailed, and I would never have thought of attempting to break down and clean a machine without them.

I also did some FMQ last week on the 15-91. :) I had attempted FMQ years ago on my mom's Huskvarna, but I wasn't really happy with the results so stuck to straight line patterns. Then I saw where people here have been using their vintage machines to FMQ, so I bought another foot and tried it out. It was okay, but not spectacular, kept having some skipped stitches and tension problems. Then I found a random darning foot that I had stuck in a box in a closet, probably because I had no idea what it was. It worked better. Then I found the information by Leah Day on FMQ, kept up my feed dogs, set the stitch to zero, and away I went. It was fun, and the stitch quality looks good to me. No snarls or skipped stitches on my little FMQ doodles. Can't wait to try more! If you're thinking of trying FMQ on a vintage machine, I say go for it.
Bennett,

Work work looks good enough for me! Next time I free motion quilt with my 15 in treadle, I will give this technique a try. Thanks for posting!
I'm dying to try FMQ on a treadle, I just don't have one that drops the dogs....BUT!! I can use a buttonholer cover!! :D

Oh wait...I kinda sorta hafta sew a quilt top to do that, huh?
I have the opposite problem--I can get a small top done, then I set it aside and don't get it quilted.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:54 PM

I'd probably do much better if I'd get off the computer and quit trying to research machines!! :lol:
Old 08-07-2011, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by jtapp9
Went to a few new found to me flea markets and antique shops. What I saw today.....

237 Fashionmate in stand for $50
Athena 2000(?) not sure on price
Singer 15 in stand for $85
Singer 127 Sphinx with not very good decals in treadle for $100
2 Singers in the old wood domed lids..have no idea what they were...prices were $125 and $200. Neither were in good shape
2 Jones treadles (one with singer foot irons). Cleaned up nicely already. Each were $95
Singer 127 Sphinx with VERY nice decals. Decent cabinet. Price was $135 but I asked and the owner would take $115.

I'm thinking about the last one. It looked nice. I think it was missing whatever the bobbon sits in. I dont know anything about those different bobbins. I took a couple pics I will post tomorrow.

I also found a Wizard on CL for $50, but its a few miles away.

Machines are just way to expensive around here.....

So, does anyone think a sphinx is worth $115 in cabinet? The decals are in very good shape.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jtapp9
So, does anyone think a sphinx is worth $115 in cabinet? The decals are in very good shape.
Julie there are so many of them out there I would be kinda leary paying that for it BUT if the decals are mint and it comes in a nice treadle then I would do it. You hardly ever see them without being worn on the decals.

Billy
Old 08-07-2011, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
I'd probably do much better if I'd get off the computer and quit trying to research machines!! :lol:
I have a love/hate relationship with the computer! So much stuff out there to learn, but I can lose track of time so easily.