Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-08-2011, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee
You're wrong Nancy...completely!! I'm just sayin'....
Willie Sue is NOT a "very pretty old gal"...she's GORGEOUS!! ;) Two Spools is on my wish list...I'm thinkin' it might be awhile...I've never seen one in real life!

Davis it is then! :)
Charlee, my Eldredge Two Spools is my piecing machine. It is so nice to use a machine with the two spools of thread to piece because you aren't stopping so much to change the bobbin! Also, the Two Spools has a perfect 1/4 foot - the original foot. If you find a Two Spools, either Eldredge or National get it! You will love the machine! Thanks to Monica (Vintage Motif) I got my first Two Spools. I picked up the second one, Willie Sue, for a spare parts machine, but the old gal will never be a parts machine! Willie Sue is too perfect!

Nancy
Old 08-08-2011, 05:16 AM

Well Kathie sent an e-mail to Katie from the White site and she says the Challenge is a Davis!

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...62576881pNxPLC

She put the machine temporarily up on her site to get responses. I hope it is still there when you guys see this!

Nancy
Old 08-08-2011, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by Nanamoms
Need some help please???? I want to date a Royal Super Deluxe Precision Built antique sewing machine. Here is the info I do have: SN JN246695 and below that on the frame is K-56.

It is a beatiful turquoise in color and comes in a simple 4 leg cabinet. Not sure if cabinet is original to it.

I'm going to pick it up later today. I understand that everything on it moves freely so I'm anxious to see how it sews.

I also need a manual, preferably free. LOL

Thanks for your help!
NanaMoms, I would be willing to bet your machine is a 15 clone and you will not be able to date it. The clones were made starting after the war in the late 40's through about the 60's. They are very nice machines. Please post a picture! If it is a 15 clone, any Singer 15 manual will do for threading, setting the needle, etc.

Nancy
Old 08-08-2011, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by jtapp9
Originally Posted by jtapp9
Went to a few new found to me flea markets and antique shops. What I saw today.....

237 Fashionmate in stand for $50
Athena 2000(?) not sure on price
Singer 15 in stand for $85
Singer 127 Sphinx with not very good decals in treadle for $100
2 Singers in the old wood domed lids..have no idea what they were...prices were $125 and $200. Neither were in good shape
2 Jones treadles (one with singer foot irons). Cleaned up nicely already. Each were $95
Singer 127 Sphinx with VERY nice decals. Decent cabinet. Price was $135 but I asked and the owner would take $115.

I'm thinking about the last one. It looked nice. I think it was missing whatever the bobbon sits in. I dont know anything about those different bobbins. I took a couple pics I will post tomorrow.

I also found a Wizard on CL for $50, but its a few miles away.

Machines are just way to expensive around here.....

So, does anyone think a sphinx is worth $115 in cabinet? The decals are in very good shape.
I bought mine at goodwill for $30, decals not too bad, It cleaned up real nice, just had to refinish cabinet.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:28 AM

I agree with Charlee, I HAVE to get off this computer and get something done today! I have been spending far too much time researching machines and not enough time being productive! It is soooo much fun, though!

Kathie, the consensus is that your machine is a Davis!

Now,I am going to stop trying to find something out on my Hitachi for a while and do some piecing!

I also, have to quit getting machines! I spend too much time searching for them, then playing with them!

You all find such nice eye candy that it is so hard to stay out of this shop!
Nancy
Old 08-08-2011, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
The second spool holder is under the machine where there would usually be a bobbin or shuttle!

Nancy
Sounds like a logical way to make a sewing machine.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-130994-2.htm

Scroll down to my photos of my Two Spools machine on this page: http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-130994-2.htm

I wish they still made some machines this way. It would save time. I should update this photo. The thread is a mess in this photo, sorry.[/quote]

Thread mess or not - that is the coolest thing I've ever seen! I always wondered what a Two Spools was! That would save tons of time!
Old 08-08-2011, 06:13 AM

I just talked to the shopgoodwill.com guy at Rochester and asked about the reserve prices on the sewing machines. He said they got the reserve prices by checking the internet and seeing what people are getting (asking) for them (meaning CL listings and the buy it now on eBay.) Problem is they aren't taking into account that the items aren't tested and sometimes are missing bobbin cases and bits. He also said they aren't relisting as much as they used to, maybe I need to head out to the stores to see if they put the machines back on the floors and with what prices. You never know - there's always 1/2 price day!
Old 08-08-2011, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by Kas
I was wondering if anyone here is a member of any of the Yahoo groups for vintage machines. I am thinking about joining, but I feel uncomfortable with all the info they ask about. The problem is I am not finding much info on how to actually take apart the motor on my 500a or how to check the brushes on it and my 301. Any thoughts?
Vintage Singers would be your best bet.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:29 AM

deplaylady,

your area seems heavy with machines on shopgoodwill.com, at least if your near Rochester. We're gonna be up there near the end of Sept for a VW rally at Watkins Glen and my nephews wedding at Seneca Falls. I have every intention of checking out both the website for pickups and the local thrifts. Can't wait!!
Old 08-08-2011, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by deplaylady
I just talked to the shopgoodwill.com guy at Rochester and asked about the reserve prices on the sewing machines. He said they got the reserve prices by checking the internet and seeing what people are getting (asking) for them (meaning CL listings and the buy it now on eBay.) Problem is they aren't taking into account that the items aren't tested and sometimes are missing bobbin cases and bits. He also said they aren't relisting as much as they used to, maybe I need to head out to the stores to see if they put the machines back on the floors and with what prices. You never know - there's always 1/2 price day!
I often see CL ads that say, "This machine is for sale on ebay for $3000.00! I'm only asking $1200.00 because I want it to go to a good home..." (That's actually a direct quote on a Singer 27 in a plain treadle cabinet, both need cleaning and work!)
They don't check the "Completed Listings" section on ebay to see what's actually selling, and for how much.