Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-07-2011, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by hevemi
Hello. I posted a new topic just today "Cobweb OLD singer, info needed" by hevemi. Maybe you could tell me more about this machine. It's been sitting on the very top on a book case for decades as far as we know and only caught my eye this summer. Noone of the family knew where or when it comes from originally, maybe it belonged to my late father's parents, all long gone now. I joked that it will be my new travel model Singer ( weights a ton!)
Hevemi, what a cool looking machine!!! What is the serial number? It looks like a Model 12 Singer! Boy, that machine will be a knockout when cleaned up.

Nancy
Old 08-07-2011, 07:57 AM

does anyone have any extra singer bobbins for singer model 66...there were 3 that came with her but 2 don't go in the bobbin winder right...won't fit over the little piece to secure in bobbin winder...let me know please
Old 08-07-2011, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by LindaR
does anyone have any extra singer bobbins for singer model 66...there were 3 that came with her but 2 don't go in the bobbin winder right...won't fit over the little piece to secure in bobbin winder...let me know please
Linda, the two that won't go on the bobbin bar are the 'new' class 66 bobbins. You will have to find vintage 66 bobbins. We have all tried to use the 'new' 66 bobbins with the same problem!

Nancy
Old 08-07-2011, 08:42 AM

hi -- I picked up a 404 model at an estate sale yesterday for a very small amount. It is a 1959 model. It needs a really thorough cleaning and some rust removed from the extra parts(ruffler, feet, etc). Can someone recommend the best site to order any missing pieces from? I think it's pretty intact but there is a small belt on the front that is rotting and the spool felts and stuff like that are in rough shape. I plan to use it for some heavy duty sewing -- leather and sunbrella -- if anyone has experience or advice I would love to receive it.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-237845.jpe  
Old 08-07-2011, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by jtapp9
Went to a few new found to me flea markets and antique shops. What I saw today.....

237 Fashionmate in stand for $50
Athena 2000(?) not sure on price
Singer 15 in stand for $85
Singer 127 Sphinx with not very good decals in treadle for $100
2 Singers in the old wood domed lids..have no idea what they were...prices were $125 and $200. Neither were in good shape
2 Jones treadles (one with singer foot irons). Cleaned up nicely already. Each were $95
Singer 127 Sphinx with VERY nice decals. Decent cabinet. Price was $135 but I asked and the owner would take $115.

I'm thinking about the last one. It looked nice. I think it was missing whatever the bobbon sits in. I dont know anything about those different bobbins. I took a couple pics I will post tomorrow.

I also found a Wizard on CL for $50, but its a few miles away.

Machines are just way to expensive around here.....
I would agree - machines are expensive around you. I've had a real bad bout of poison ivy and can barely move so to keep from dying of boredom I've taken a trip on CL - I looked all over the place. There are some real good buys out there if you are in the right place. I saw a couple I would have driven a good ways for. I found one I called about to see if they would send and it was already sold but still up.
Isn't fun looking around CLs. I sometimes check what machines are going for across the nation. There are some very nice deals, most of the time way to far away.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:22 AM

Miz Johnny!!! Where are you? I want to know how your basement sale went. Wish I could have made it to the event, but I'm out here on the west coast. Are you still alive?
Old 08-07-2011, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
are the feet screwed on? Can you just remove them?
Yes Miriam the feet at just low shank and removable.

Nancy[/quote]

Sorry, I just went out and looked - the Hitachi has a high shank foot not a low shank, but yes it is removable.

Nancy
Old 08-07-2011, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by malindaann
hi -- I picked up a 404 model at an estate sale yesterday for a very small amount. It is a 1959 model. It needs a really thorough cleaning and some rust removed from the extra parts(ruffler, feet, etc). Can someone recommend the best site to order any missing pieces from? I think it's pretty intact but there is a small belt on the front that is rotting and the spool felts and stuff like that are in rough shape. I plan to use it for some heavy duty sewing -- leather and sunbrella -- if anyone has experience or advice I would love to receive it.
Hi! Congrats on the find! I have purchased from SewClassic:
http://www.sew-classic.com/

And if you looking for additional info to read about your 404:
http://blog.sew-classic.com/2008/10/...ne-review.aspx

I like her site, very informative. At least I have learned a lot just reading her site.

Anyway, enjoy your wonderful vintage machine! Have fun quilting with her.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:30 AM

anyone know anything about a Domestic sewing machine? going to look at one as soon as I hear back from the seller. she's a beauty, from what I can see & a treadle to boot, I learned to sew on such a model . She said it belonged to her mother & has been sitting in the garage for awhile
I'm onmy way
Old 08-07-2011, 10:06 AM

I've just been catching up from everyone's weekend haul. Such fun to see everything and know it's going to be cleaned up and loved.

My new job(s) schedule lets me have all weekend off (yay!) and I finally got out to clean up my Red Eye yesterday. I didn't expect her to be so shiny! (Posted before and after on the pics page). I can't wait to try treadling. Thanks for the tutorials Billy--they are wonderfully detailed, and I would never have thought of attempting to break down and clean a machine without them.

I also did some FMQ last week on the 15-91. :) I had attempted FMQ years ago on my mom's Huskvarna, but I wasn't really happy with the results so stuck to straight line patterns. Then I saw where people here have been using their vintage machines to FMQ, so I bought another foot and tried it out. It was okay, but not spectacular, kept having some skipped stitches and tension problems. Then I found a random darning foot that I had stuck in a box in a closet, probably because I had no idea what it was. It worked better. Then I found the information by Leah Day on FMQ, kept up my feed dogs, set the stitch to zero, and away I went. It was fun, and the stitch quality looks good to me. No snarls or skipped stitches on my little FMQ doodles. Can't wait to try more! If you're thinking of trying FMQ on a vintage machine, I say go for it.

15-91 FMQ doodles, back side
[ATTACH=CONFIG]237912[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-237906.jpe