Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-07-2011, 01:00 PM

okay I ended up bringing her home with me. I had to, I'm attracted to old things and this was the first time I'd seen a shuttle and not the bobbin. To cool for me. Of course she needs some work, missing parts, pressure foot to start with; but the price was right, like I said I like old things. Have been sitting here searching the internet & thanks to the Smithsonian Collections, I found out that it is a model #4. It is such a neat machine, made for embroidery and quilting with guides and all kinds of goodies. The last patten date is May 16, 1868. The White sewing machine Co. ended up with control of the Domestic line in 1925. I just happen to have a box from the White Co. containing all kinds of different feet attachments and what not (have never figured what they all were for, except for the pressure foot) but I have my fingers crossed that these items may be interchangeable. I'm not thinking so, the shafts on what I now own appear to be to short, but I can dream for a bit longer. Then there's the question, will todays needles work in this machine???
8-) Doing a bit of the happy dance, not to big, need to get the missing parts before she sews. After that, watch out quilting world, cause I'm gonna try it all. Can't wait for FMQ where I'll actually have control.
Thank you all for letting me vent, my kids & family think I'd be crazy and have one machine why another? They don't know about the other 3. It is so nice to share my joy with others that understand.
OH, and it's my DH's BD and he was more than happy to go and get it with me. Gotta love that man of mine :wink: :lol:

Originally Posted by bloomin'Iris
anyone know anything about a Domestic sewing machine? going to look at one as soon as I hear back from the seller. she's a beauty, from what I can see & a treadle to boot, I learned to sew on such a model . She said it belonged to her mother & has been sitting in the garage for awhile
I'm onmy way
Old 08-07-2011, 01:07 PM

I survived. Made over $400; took 1 1/2 pick up loads to Goodwill and gave away anything anyone would take. It was a success, but still have far to go.

Just got back from the Tennessee TOGA. I'm catching up with the board, and then am going to rest up a bit before going back to work on Tuesday. Summer is far too short, and school begins far to early these days.

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Miz Johnny!!! Where are you? I want to know how your basement sale went. Wish I could have made it to the event, but I'm out here on the west coast. Are you still alive?
Old 08-07-2011, 01:07 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by BoJangles
are the feet screwed on? Can you just remove them?
Yes Miriam the feet at just low shank and removable.

Nancy
Sorry, I just went out and looked - the Hitachi has a high shank foot not a low shank, but yes it is removable.

Nancy[/quote]

the industrial machines pretty much had high shanks. I say take out the feed dog/teeth and do some FM. I may have some high shank feet off of a junked Viking.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:11 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Celeste
Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by Celeste
Okay everybody, I found me a beige 301A longbed on Craigslist for $100, with the foot pedal, case and the bobbin case. Drove from the San Jose area to San Francisco to get it. (About 60 miles.) First time on my own and I'm not too proud to admit I just kept getting lost. Found the pickup spot after a missed exit, (I had directions off of mapquest), but afterwards.... you'd think I'd never been there (or driven there), before! Left home about 2:30pm and got back around 6:30pm.

So now I've got her out and found a youtube to explain how to wind the bobbin. I cannot get the silver thing to move towards me to disengage it. Any advise, please?
Have you oiled the machine yet? Sometimes that helps... most of the time, people really crank on the stop action knob...and it's really not necessary! You may just have to get Western with it. (Grab it and force it loose)
LOL, I'll try getting western with it! It did not come with a manual, so I guess it's back to youtube to see if there are instructions there on how to oil it.

Thanks all for your advise!
http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_...e-manuals.html
free manual just scroll down to the 301
Old 08-07-2011, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Originally Posted by Glenn
My wife said I could not have any more machines until I paint the house. I have a really big two story house so it could be awhile for me. :lol: :lol:
You must have painted that house in a big hurry, as I seem to recall you have a nice, "new" parlor treadle??
Johnny I thought we agreed not to tell any one our secrets and no you know I have not painted the house yet but did get the porch painted today and still had time to clean up the cabinet and some repairs. The cabinet no longer wobbles. It was a pleasure to meet you this weekend at the Tn TOGA. I will be prepared for next year. Glenn
Old 08-07-2011, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
I survived. Made over $400; took 1 1/2 pick up loads to Goodwill and gave away anything anyone would take. It was a success, but still have far to go.

Just got back from the Tennessee TOGA. I'm catching up with the board, and then am going to rest up a bit before going back to work on Tuesday. Summer is far too short, and school begins far to early these days.

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Miz Johnny!!! Where are you? I want to know how your basement sale went. Wish I could have made it to the event, but I'm out here on the west coast. Are you still alive?
Wow!! $400 and you still have more to go. I wish I lived closer. Happy to see that you survived and were able to make it to the TN TOGA.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by malindaann
hi -- I picked up a 404 model at an estate sale yesterday for a very small amount. It is a 1959 model. It needs a really thorough cleaning and some rust removed from the extra parts(ruffler, feet, etc). Can someone recommend the best site to order any missing pieces from? I think it's pretty intact but there is a small belt on the front that is rotting and the spool felts and stuff like that are in rough shape. I plan to use it for some heavy duty sewing -- leather and sunbrella -- if anyone has experience or advice I would love to receive it.
Malindaann,
The 404 won't sew heavy leather, thin leather for garments like skirts; yes.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:31 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by purplefiend
Originally Posted by malindaann
hi -- I picked up a 404 model at an estate sale yesterday for a very small amount. It is a 1959 model. It needs a really thorough cleaning and some rust removed from the extra parts(ruffler, feet, etc). Can someone recommend the best site to order any missing pieces from? I think it's pretty intact but there is a small belt on the front that is rotting and the spool felts and stuff like that are in rough shape. I plan to use it for some heavy duty sewing -- leather and sunbrella -- if anyone has experience or advice I would love to receive it.
Malindaann,
The 404 won't sew heavy leather, thin leather for garments like skirts; yes.
People demonstrate that it will. It will until the needle shaft bends or the gears in the hand wheel go south... For leather and heavy jobs an industrial machine really will be best.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Honeynga
Please keep in mind that I'm not real smart and just couldn't find your PDA on the board.....am I supposed to be looking somewhere else ? Please give me explicit instructions....I tend to follow instructions well.

My real question is that I bought a Singer Athena 1200 yesterday at a thrift store and want to know your thoughts on the series.....thanks for info !

Sorry, I can't help you, but may be someone else here can. My only suggestion is to google for the the info.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:37 PM

I need some help identifing two sewing machines that I just aquired. One is an Elite Electric Delux. It was mande in Japen with serial number z3336490. I do know that this machine was made by Kenmore. I need to find out what year and model number as I need a manuel.

The second one is a Challenge Treadel with a wood pitman. It has a missing shuttle and bobbin. Serial number 848635. I think that it may have been made by White as the cabinet has a tape measure like the White and the feet are top clamping like the White. Here again no manuel. Can anyone help me identify the year and model number. Thank you for any help. Kathie