Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-27-2011, 08:22 AM

OK, I don't remember who the enabler was, but I bit. Bought the two-spools that is in Traverse City. The lady is very kind and gave me some history. Her grandmother passed a couple of years ago at the age of 96. She sewed on this machine right up til the end. Was the original owner. She was a Type A, so the machine and cabinet, along with original manual and all the attachments are mint, I am told. I will not get it until mid August, it is several hours drive so will get it when I am planning a trip there for a confrence in mid August. I am very excited. Will name it "Ortha" after the DGM. I've gotten quite a collection going here. My DH started out thinking I was nuts, now he helps me and when a friend of his visited yesterday just before he left DH asked if I was going to show him some of my machines. He followed us around and if I forgot something, he filled in the details. LOL
Old 07-27-2011, 08:22 AM
Banned

Opps you already saw my post. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Billy
Old 07-27-2011, 08:34 AM

Billy, If the decals are silvered, can they be taken off and new ones put on? Thanks
Old 07-27-2011, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Oh I forgot to tell you that I have to go to the doctors again, it is not looking good.

Billy

OK, praying for you!! Whatever it is, we will be praying for you!!
Old 07-27-2011, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by jljack
Originally Posted by deplaylady

I didn't notice the update - I see no one has bid any higher. I sort of had a guess from looking at the outside - at least I guessed it wasn't a machine that used a knee bar. I am looking for something to turn into a hand crank.
Get a 99 to turn into a handcrank. They are easy to find. I am going to put a HC on my 99.
Deplay, here's a 99K at shopgoodwill.com and no one has bid on it yet.

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=8283465
Old 07-27-2011, 08:40 AM

Thank you for everyone's comments on the 127 spa treatment. I give Billy all the credit for his wonderful tutorials. It has been a long start and stop process but now I am excited to see if I put it back together correctly and be able to make it sew. The good thing was no parts left over. I was worried for about 15 minutes about a couple of extra screws but figured out where they should go.

It is not as good as it looks. The clear coat is very crazed and missing is some areas. That Japan paint is very shining with nothing over it! Some of the decals are silvered a bit. There is lots of chipping down to bare metal around the outer edge of the base. I think I will get some paint to touch that up, at least keep it from rusting again.

Now I have to figure out which cabinet in the garage she came out of and get that cleaned up to match while I search for a donor part. Billy may come to my rescue again!

It didn't sew before because it was mostly froze up. So anything is an improvement. Now to think up a name for her/him.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by grannysewer

My Featherweight has an oil pan? Never knew. How do you get to it? And what do I use to replace the fiber/cardboard?
It's probably not called an oil pan, but its on the bottom of the machine. There's a big screw there and inside there is a black paper/cardboard in the bottom. Just take it out, cut a new, and replace. I used a shoe box lid, will need to replace it I'm sure. DH says not to oil it so much and there won't be any excess oil.[/quote]

It just is supposed to catch drips, so it's not a pan at all, just more like a cardboard sponge. You can replace it with felt too. The 301s and the FWs have them, because they can sit on a table without being in a base.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:43 AM

[quote=jljack]
Originally Posted by purplefiend

IYes, that's exactly the setup I was envisioning for my 66. Quiltncowgirl and I are looking at lots of treadles in the Central CA area to find one we can "split" -- she wants a head, I want the treadle. I think we'll probably find one in the next couple of weeks. They are EXPENSIVE here!! Every one over $125, no matter the condition.
Janice, I looked at my White irons and someone who posted was correct. They are much shorter than the Singers or others I have as they attached to the bottom of the drawers not the top. You can have them if you want but you would have to find someway to raise your platform. So I think you may be better off with something else.

Why did I even bring these home with me???????
Old 07-27-2011, 08:47 AM

[quote=quilt addict]
Originally Posted by purplefiend

IYes, that's exactly the setup I was envisioning for my 66. Quiltncowgirl and I are looking at lots of treadles in the Central CA area to find one we can "split" -- she wants a head, I want the treadle. I think we'll probably find one in the next couple of weeks. They are EXPENSIVE here!! Every one over $125, no matter the condition.
Janice, I looked at my White irons and someone who posted was correct. They are much shorter than the Singers or others I have as they attached to the bottom of the drawers not the top. You can have them if you want but you would have to find someway to raise your platform. So I think you may be better off with something else.

Why did I even bring these home with me???????
Thanks for the offer..I really appreciate it!!! You'll find a use for them....dragging them home has become like a reflex reaction, I am sure. Every vintage machine I see I want to bring home or bid on. Not a good obsession!! LOL :mrgreen:
Old 07-27-2011, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by deplaylady

I didn't notice the update - I see no one has bid any higher. I sort of had a guess from looking at the outside - at least I guessed it wasn't a machine that used a knee bar. I am looking for something to turn into a hand crank.
Get a 99 to turn into a handcrank. They are easy to find. I am going to put a HC on my 99.
Deplay, here's a 99K at shopgoodwill.com and no one has bid on it yet.

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=8283465
I've been watching those, but those darn reserves they have drive me crazy! I have tried going to the stores where they say they have them, but they say they are at the warehouse. I may have to truck on down to the big Goodwill in the city (the main office) and see if I can get an idea of what there reserve might be!