Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-27-2011, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by deplaylady
Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by miriam
Here is a deal on a Handcrank if someone wants a mystery box!

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=8284502

Billy
how do you get it open?
Use a small screwdriver and it will open no problem. There were only 3 keys for the Singers that I know of Square, Slot, and Triangle.

Billy
I wrote them an email and told them the same thing. They sent me a reply 3 days ago saying "Thank you, that worked and we are updating the listing." Only they never updated the listing.
Well, it's updated now, and it's not a handcrank...it's got a motor, apparently!
Old 07-27-2011, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by grannysewer
Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
Originally Posted by grannysewer
I don't remember who posted this, but changing out the fiber/cardboard in the oil pan on the FW and 301's makes a world of difference in the old oily smell. Thanks a bunch!!
My Featherweight has an oil pan? Never knew. How do you get to it? And what do I use to replace the fiber/cardboard?
It's probably not called an oil pan, but its on the bottom of the machine. There's a big screw there and inside there is a black paper/cardboard in the bottom. Just take it out, cut a new, and replace. I used a shoe box lid, will need to replace it I'm sure. DH says not to oil it so much and there won't be any excess oil.
I think I'd try using black felt glued to thin cardboard. Just my idea. The idea is to trap excess oil, dirt and lint, again my thinking.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:58 AM

I didn't notice the update - I see no one has bid any higher. I sort of had a guess from looking at the outside - at least I guessed it wasn't a machine that used a knee bar. I am looking for something to turn into a hand crank.
Get a 99 to turn into a handcrank. They are easy to find. I am going to put a HC on my 99.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:59 AM

These two are in my neck of the woods, but they put a reserve on them. They have a Spartan, too, but last time it went to $35 and never hit the reserve price and got relisted, so my guess is this one will have a high reserve on it also. Too bad since I wouldn't have to pay shipping.

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=8266522

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=8266467
That Spartan has been relisted at least 5 times. They won't take the Reserve off. Their problem....must think it's worth hundreds!! Haha!!
Old 07-27-2011, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by nickylsf
Originally Posted by quilt addict
Was excited but now sad. This is the first machine (Singer 127, alloted March 19, 1924, Serial # G0710265) that has gotten the entire spa treatement. It was BAAADDD. So I thought it was a good candidate for me to learn on. Well turned out beautifully. So last night I was doing the last assembly and hoped to put in a treadle and try sewing with it. I struggled to get the shuttle carrier back in. I was going to quit but got a phone call. Then went back and got it to slide into position. When I tightened the screw, the piece the holds it broke off. :cry:

So now decision:
1. Does it become a decorative parts machine?
2. Can I try some weld stuff to glue it together?
3. Look for replacement part 8444?

Oh well, on to the next lady waiting for spa treatment.
Lisa , what a makeover! It is stunning. I would want to fix it. :)
Ditto that!! It is really pretty after it's facelift!!
Old 07-27-2011, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by purplefiend

I have a set of Elgin irons that have a top from a Singer coffin top and it currently has my Singer 66-1 Red Eye in it. Here's a picture of my 15-90 Singer in the same treadle.
Webshots album has the pictures of the irons.
http://good-times.webshots.com/album/561693025dGRxEd
Sharon W.
Yes, that's exactly the setup I was envisioning for my 66. Quiltncowgirl and I are looking at lots of treadles in the Central CA area to find one we can "split" -- she wants a head, I want the treadle. I think we'll probably find one in the next couple of weeks. They are EXPENSIVE here!! Every one over $125, no matter the condition.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by dirty1mom
I wrote them an email and told them the same thing. They sent me a reply 3 days ago saying "Thank you, that worked and we are updating the listing." Only they never updated the listing.
Your not supposed to do that, it takes the fun out of getting something good for next to nothing. Plus if they already had a bid on it they can not update the listing.

Billy
If you scroll down under the original description there is an update. No pic though.
Centennial Badged 128.......

Billy
OK, that did it!!! Now I'm gonna have to bid on it!!! Shoot!! :mrgreen:
Old 07-27-2011, 08:15 AM

These are the pics from the CL ad. Not the best, but will suffice for now. For $35.00 I think I did good.
My son took pics last night with his cell phone. Bad pics. Damascus Grand is in need of cleaning. Maybe this weekend.[/quote]

That is a gorgeous machine...bad pics or not!! Can't wait to see it in all it's cleaned up glory!!
Old 07-27-2011, 08:20 AM
Banned

[Oh I forgot to tell you that I have to go to the doctors again, it is not looking good.

Billy
Hope you health improves. Hang in there Billy. Sending prayers to you.

Thanks for the advise. I will see what it looks like after cleaning.
Is cleaning with machine oil better/easier on the decals than the Goop?[/quote]

I like Goop with the Liquid Gold chaser but that is my preference. To me the finish just looks newer and cleaner than if you just use oil to gloss it up.

Billy
Old 07-27-2011, 08:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by jljack
Originally Posted by miriam
Here is a deal on a Handcrank if someone wants a mystery box!

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=8284502

Billy
how do you get it open?
Use a small screwdriver and it will open no problem. There were only 3 keys for the Singers that I know of Square, Slot, and Triangle.

Billy
Well, it's updated now, and it's not a handcrank...it's got a motor, apparently!
Yeah I saw that and I found out it is a Centennial 128 in the case.

Billy