Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-13-2011, 10:21 AM

Pat, Pat, Pat.
I feel good.
The last couple of days have been spent trying to de-gunk and fee the newly acquired 201. It was like digging out dried play dough. Then, I had a devil of a time getting the ring back under the springs on the bobbin race, after having removed it to clean petrified lint. While the oil worked on the 201, I worked on routine maintenance on a couple of 66's, oil, lube, mostly tension adjustments. Even mended a lab coat on one of the 66's. Finally replaced the belt on the Domestic Fiddle Base, and fished miles of thread from the hub and top of the Pitman, and re-oiled it. Back to the 201, it wouldn't pick up the bobbin thread. Lunch. Trouble shoot the needle – yep, in sideways. Fixed. Minor tension adjustments . . . and it sews like a pro. Wow. That's another 4 machines in good working order now.

Started maintenance logs and inventory cards on all of them. Feet for one 66, bobbin winding tire for the other, feet for the Domestic, fix-it-kit and oil for each one of them, ink well for the 201 cabinet. I almost feel organized. Nap time deserved, but scrubbed, need to transfer the tag for my new vehicle. Night at the dinner theater with friends, and PLAY TIME TOMORROW!!!

Whoop, whoop, Pat, Pat.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by olebat
Pat, Pat, Pat.
I feel good.
Wow. That's another 4 machines in good working order now.

Whoop, whoop, Pat, Pat.
YOU GO GIRL!!!!!!! :lol:

I am head over heels in love with my 201....they are everything good that I have heard about them.... :D :D :D :D :D
Old 05-13-2011, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by chergram
hi I see all the great buys you guys find i did not get that great a deal but bought my feather weigh 221 for 80 dollars at a pawn shop had to replace bobbin winder it was broke off get bobbin belt power cord and belt pulley and had it oiled and stitch it works great now but in the end it cost me 258.00 but have always wanted one and told my children after i had bought the machine that could be my mothers day preset so they had it fixec for me am very happy with it but want to buy some extra bobbins for it can someone tell me where to buy thanks
I hope this got answered, but $258 for a FW is a very good price in today's market!

You can get FW supplies from this website. http://www.221parts.com/#

Also, I think maybe Sharon may sell/know where to get parts too as she services them (purplefiend here).

Nancy
That's where I get most of my parts and bobbins. They are
a good place to deal with.
Sharon
Old 05-13-2011, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by mpeters1200
My Singer 66-16 has the drop in bobbin. The machine guy says in order to do FMQ, the feed dogs have to be removed. Apparently, they just unscrew and pop out. I certainly haven't tried it yet. I know a 15-91 would probably be better to FMQ with. Is FMQ impossible with the horizontal drop in bobbin vs. the vertical one?
I have tried to FMQ with my Singers 201 and 66 and I don't seem to be able to do it. The 15-90 and 237 do it with no problems at all. I wouldn't remove the feed dogs.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:41 AM

Olebat,
I feel your pain...I removed the bobbin case on my 201K and I'd like to never get it reseated. It took me 3 days to figure it out, doubt I'll ever take it out again.
I'm so happy that you finally were triumphant. I love sewing with my 201k(she is pictured in my avatar).
Sharon W.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:51 AM

When I got the machine, I got a zig zag foot to go with it because it measures a perfect scant 1/4' even if the machine itself doesn't zig zag. I also bought a walking foot for it because I really want to be able to do straight stitch quilting and a walking foot would accommodate that. I haven't bought a darning foot yet, mostly because there were 3 to choose from and I don't have a quilt sandwich to practice on. I'm curious about FMQ, but not able to try it yet.

I had not before seen a sewing machine that didn't have zig zag on it, though now I realize they also have machines that don't have reverse. I'm learning a TON reading this shop. When the time comes, I hope I'll figure out if it can FMQ or not.

I know Glenn really likes his 66 and can't wait to hear his opinion on FMQ on the 66.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Her tip of winding it without going through the arm is how I do mine since I would always have the thread fill up one side of the bobbin more than the other. Happy to read the video was helpful!

I would love to see your treadle wall hanging that you started. Please post here. A number of us love to see more than the machines, quilting projects too!

Have fun treadling! :)
Ok, here is what I got so far on it. The brown fabric is the 1" inner border, then the colored squares with the spool block for the corners make the outer border. Then brown again for binding. It still needs the spool ends appliqued on to the thread spools along with the thread & needle embroidered on each machine.
This was made with a FQ bundle I just *had to buy* because it was on sale for $4, even though it's kind of an ugly pack IMHO.

Like I said, it was all made on my "new" treadle as a learn-how-she-works kinda thing. So, it fits in this thread.. right ;-)

**Here's a tip for anyone it may help**
I also found a solution to more of the bobbin winding problems I was having. The make-shift boot string belt just wasn't thick enough to grab the teeth to wind it properly. So, off to the Wal~Mart for aquarium hose I went and then hopped over to Lowe's for a dowel rod.
This worked wonders, let me tell all ya'll. Now couple that with the great video link and I am all set.

I just love this place and all the great people here. :thumbup:

Treadle wall hanging-in-progress
[ATTACH=CONFIG]196558[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-196552.jpe  
Old 05-13-2011, 12:08 PM

Where to lookup serial #'s on Singer machines? TIA Lee
Old 05-13-2011, 12:11 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/SINGER-401A-401-...item1e62c3e570

Do you think this is worth $125. I offered $100 and he counter offered. I don't really mind that price but then the shipping is $37.

I really wanted the 500 but from what I'm reading the only difference is the looks...this is still cheaper than the 500's and I can learn to live without the space age look..lol
Old 05-13-2011, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Darcene
Originally Posted by olebat
Pat, Pat, Pat.
I feel good. Wow. That's another 4 machines in good working order now. Whoop, whoop, Pat, Pat.
YOU GO GIRL!!!!!!! :lol:

I am head over heels in love with my 201....they are everything good that I have heard about them.... :D :D :D :D :D
Ahhh!!! I'm sooo jealous! I'm driving north about an hour to go look at a 201-2 on Monday.... There's a 15 and a White Rotary south of me at a thrift store that I'm not going to pick up. There's that 101 up north too. I'll swing by the place on Monday and pick up both machines, maybe.

Depends on if i've got Dr. appointments to take my hubby to. Ah, the life....