Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-13-2011, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by jtapp9
http://cgi.ebay.com/SINGER-401A-401-...item1e62c3e570

Do you think this is worth $125. I offered $100 and he counter offered. I don't really mind that price but then the shipping is $37.

I really wanted the 500 but from what I'm reading the only difference is the looks...this is still cheaper than the 500's and I can learn to live without the space age look..lol
The 401s' are great too. Internal cam stack, AND takes top hats (which are easily found). All metal, for the most part. People love them. They fit in lots of cabinets and even a card table (see the ISMACS site for Singer cabinets). I have a 403 (the less glitzy version)... and it sews very nicely. I paid $125 for machine (403a), the case, the attachments/book, AND the card table. (which was a great deal).
Old 05-13-2011, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by lee231
Where to lookup serial #'s on Singer machines? TIA Lee
Lee....

http://www.singerco.com/support/serial_numbers.html
Old 05-13-2011, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by kwendt
http://cgi.ebay.com/SINGER-401A-401-...item1e62c3e570

Do you think this is worth $125. I offered $100 and he counter offered. I don't really mind that price but then the shipping is $37.

I really wanted the 500 but from what I'm reading the only difference is the looks...this is still cheaper than the 500's and I can learn to live without the space age look..lol
The 401s' are great too. Internal cam stack, AND takes top hats (which are easily found). All metal, for the most part. People love them. They fit in lots of cabinets and even a card table (see the ISMACS site for Singer cabinets). I have a 403 (the less glitzy version)... and it sews very nicely. I paid $125 for machine (403a), the case, the attachments/book, AND the card table. (which was a great deal).
What do you mean by less glitzy :). there is a 403a that may be cheaper with no case.

Will these 400 and 500 run sitting on a table or do they have to be in something?

And thanks for your help!
Old 05-13-2011, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
I have tried to FMQ with my Singers 201 and 66 and I don't seem to be able to do it. The 15-90 and 237 do it with no problems at all. I wouldn't remove the feed dogs.
Hi there... yes, it's a neat question. And one that I asked about 3 or 4 months ago: Which machine is better and for what? I gotta tell you... the 8" or 9" harp size on the old machines is stellar! I was so excited when I pulled out my grandmother's machine, dusted her off... and realized she'd sew! Unfortunately, she's a 66-6, so no reverse. Also I gather if the 66 is not a 66-16 or later, then it doesn't have the drop out feed dogs. BUT my "Williamena"sews boat canvas and cotton as if it's nothin!

So I researched and decided that I'd get the Singer 15-91 instead of the new Janome Horizon to be my FMQ quilting machine. (Let's see $150 verses $5,000...easy choice!) Now I'm looking for a 201 for dressmaking and cause all y'all say it's such a great machine to sew on. And I picked up a 127 to make into a treadle, and then a 301 for classes, then.... oh never mind.... I'm 'hooked'.... on the old machines!

Back to your post...

I guess I'm scratching my head over the concept of not dropping the feeds or somehow inactivating them. If you FMQ, the fabric is hand guided around in all sorts of directions. That's really hard to do if the feed dogs are tugging on the fabric at the same time. Maybe I read the post wrong? Even when I'm darning on my Janome 4000 (gasp... the 15 year old machine- a newbie!), I drop the dogs. Otherwise, I cannot darn worth a darn. <grin>
Old 05-13-2011, 12:50 PM

thanks Nancy I thought it was a good deal too now looking for a table for it
Old 05-13-2011, 12:54 PM

Jan in Texas here, doing the Happy Dance. My little broken base hand crank is now freewheeling !!! She purrs like a kitten!! Still have some screws to get loose, but her ID number is 1531103. Her shuttle says "Eldredge" on her, so she is either Eldredge or National. Does anyone have info on these numbers??? Tomorrow the kerosene bath. Maybe more screws will loosen after that.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-196018.jpe  
Old 05-13-2011, 12:57 PM

The 401s' are great too. Internal cam stack, AND takes top hats (which are easily found). They fit in lots of cabinets and even a card table (see the ISMACS site for Singer cabinets). I have a 403 (the less glitzy version)... and it sews very nicely. I paid $125 for machine (403a), the case, the attachments/book, AND the card table. (which was a great deal).
What do you mean by less glitzy :). there is a 403a that may be cheaper with no case. Will these 400 and 500 run sitting on a table or do they have to be in something? And thanks for your help![/quote]

You're welcome, Julie. I'm no expert... just an enthusiast.

The 403 that I have, the case locks onto the machine itself, there is no wood or plastic tray that the machine sits in. So YES it can be used ontop of a table, by itself. (make sure the rubber feet on the bottom are replaced or still good though...).

Of the USA 400 models, Singer made the 401's with all the extras - the internal cam stack, as well as all the other 400 series features. So it's like the er... 'highest' model for the 400's. Singer did the same thing with the 500 series as well. The 501 Rocketeer is the 500 series best (flagship model). The 503 is still great, but has slightly less features.

So the 403s and the 503's are the next step down in the series, still great, but with less features. Then there are other models in the series with even less features/plainer like the 404, 406. (Don't confuse the model numbers of German machines or industrials... those are different models.)

Perhaps do a google search to see pics of say... the 403... verses the 401. You will see that the 401 has a large dialy knob thing in the center front. It's got little needle like pointers on each side of it. That's the stitch selector for the internal cam system. Plus, on the top... there is a flip up section for the top hat cams to fit. More stitches to choose from!

Now my 403 machine (the step down model) has everything that 401 has EXCEPT the middle stitch selector knob... and that's cause it doesn't have the internal cam stack. But I still have the flip top section for top hat cams.

For the money, I'd get the 401a.... unless you don't particularly care about extra stitches. Best to go see both, make your decision then? It might be a personal preference kinda thing. You may not like having all the bells and whistles so to speak.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:03 PM

wow Jan! I can't believe you got that rusted Eldridge working! Happy dance with you! A great work in progress. I wonder, now that we've seen your efforts succeed.... I wonder if those old singers tossed outside of the thrift store (back two pages or so) would be save-able? Might could be!
Old 05-13-2011, 01:05 PM

Will these 400 and 500 run sitting on a table or do they have to be in something?
I don't know about the 500s. I think that they will do both cabinets and sit on tables. I've not ever seen one in a case to be able to tell. Tomilu on here has 500's, as does Billy and several several others. They'll know.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:34 PM

And thanks for your help!
You can use the 400 and 500 series machines sitting on a table, although I much prefer my machine to be in a cabinet. The 403 needs a "0" cam to make a zig zag stitch.
Otherwise it only makes a straight stitch.