Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1523 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 523 1023 1423 1473 1513 1522 1523 1524 1533 1573 1623 ... LastLast
Results 38,051 to 38,075 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

There are a total of 22 top hat cams available. 0 though 21. I have all but "0". The "0" cam is for those machines that must have a cam in them to function. I need one for my collection even though we don't need it.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    There are a total of 22 top hat cams available. 0 though 21. I have all but "0". The "0" cam is for those machines that must have a cam in them to function. I need one for my collection even though we don't need it.

Joe
    Why do you have those cams if you have a 401? The 401 and 500 have 90% of them built in. ??

Well, because as we've purchased accessories for the 401 many of them have come in boxes for 600 series machines.

And, since we seem to be always picking up machines, if we find one that needs the cams and doesn't have them, I'll have a set.

And, cos I want 'em.

Joe

As long as we're talking cams...I saw a Kenmore 158.523 today at an estate sale for $20 with a box of cams and other goodies. If it's half price tomorrow, I might go back for it. Any thoughts? I don't need it, just thought it would be fun.

Looks like this one... Name:  kenmore158.523 image.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  6.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by quiltingweb View Post
    As long as we're talking cams...I saw a Kenmore 158.523 today at an estate sale for $20 with a box of cams and other goodies. If it's half price tomorrow, I might go back for it. Any thoughts? I don't need it, just thought it would be fun.

I have one of those machines. It's a real solid, quiet, strong running machine. Go for it. Pop the top off, clean it, oil it, then turn it on it's side and lube the feed dog drop mechanism and make sure it's free. Oh, and be advised, it weighs a ton. It's all cast iron and metal.

Joe

Charlee- All the best to you. Health issues are so worrying. I'll be thinking of you.

On the sewing front, i picked up a Kenmore 51 (158.511) and need a free manual, and hopefully a picture somewhere of which cams to look for. I'm giving this one to someone, so I don't want to pay for one of the beautiful copies made by Relics- just can't get into that habit when I am playing catch and release. I tri flowed the machine and it is still a bit slow. guess I should clean the motor, as well, and also the presses bar is stuck. I can get it loose with a light tap on a wood block, but then it needs another tap in the other direction. Guess I'll let it sulk-errr, SOAK- overnight and see if it wants to play nice tomorrow.

I also got a 99 with decals in good shape, but missing it's power cord and knee bar. Hand crank, here I come! Think I will notch the hand wheel, but it has that pretty shiny plating on the edge so I am feeling nervous about it. Anyone got any hints for me? I know there is a tutorial on the treadleon site. I don't have a drill press, which I am starting to think I need. Well, hope everyone is well and happy. Laura

I was missing you too Charlee. Take care of yourself. We need you around here for inspiration and information!

Barb

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltingweb View Post

GO FOR IT - I have one of those - nice machine. Mine needs to go on CL at some point.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

Charlee, just saw your post--keeping you in my thoughts.

I get to go garage sale-ing today while visiting my sister in Hurst. I'll be on the lookout for anything good to share with y'all.
    I have a screw driver and YouTube--I can fix it!

Charlee, sorry to hear of your health issues but happy to hear that they are being treated. I trust that all will go well with that. I also enjoy your input and have learned so much from your wise comments.

I haven't been able to get on the QB site much this summer due to our remodeling project but now that it's done (YEAH!!) I'll be checking in every day again..... and even though I sit back and read the posts and don't speak up much, I love reading about all your new 'old' machines and the struggles to get them back in tip-top shape.

Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post

And, cos I want 'em.

Joe

Good answer!:>

Quote Originally Posted by nurseknitsLaura View Post
    Charlee- All the best to you. Health issues are so worrying. I'll be thinking of you.

On the sewing front, i picked up a Kenmore 51 (158.511) and need a free manual, and hopefully a picture somewhere of which cams to look for. I'm giving this one to someone, so I don't want to pay for one of the beautiful copies made by Relics- just can't get into that habit when I am playing catch and release. I tri flowed the machine and it is still a bit slow. guess I should clean the motor, as well, and also the presses bar is stuck. I can get it loose with a light tap on a wood block, but then it needs another tap in the other direction. Guess I'll let it sulk-errr, SOAK- overnight and see if it wants to play nice tomorrow.

I also got a 99 with decals in good shape, but missing it's power cord and knee bar. Hand crank, here I come! Think I will notch the hand wheel, but it has that pretty shiny plating on the edge so I am feeling nervous about it. Anyone got any hints for me? I know there is a tutorial on the treadleon site. I don't have a drill press, which I am starting to think I need. Well, hope everyone is well and happy. Laura
    Laura, you should join the vintage kenmore yahoo group. In the files in the group is a listing of what sort of cams go with which machine. Also, I would bet someone on there has a manual.

Blog Entries
    I went to a quilt show and a little machine followed me home. I thought all Singers had their number on the pillar after a certain date. This one doesn't. Looks a lot a 301, but has rotary bobbin, straight stitch and a light colored top. The simplest of the 400s, I imagine. Would it be a 401 or is the 403 the simple one? Could this the SS machine I have been looking for to keep at church? For $5, it might be. Needs to be aired out and cleaned first. It smells musty.

Charlee, you are in my prayers. I am walking around with the same problem and some others, too. I was able to give up my heart meds this year. Thinking of you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
    I went to a quilt show and a little machine followed me home. I thought all Singers had their number on the pillar after a certain date. This one doesn't. Looks a lot a 301, but has rotary bobbin, straight stitch and a light colored top. The simplest of the 400s, I imagine. Would it be a 401 or is the 403 the simple one? Could this the SS machine I have been looking for to keep at church? For $5, it might be. Needs to be aired out and cleaned first. It smells musty.

Charlee, you are in my prayers. I am walking around with the same problem and some others, too. I was able to give up my heart meds this year. Thinking of you.
    It sounds like a Singer 404 - they were used for Home Ec classes - nice little machine very under-rated IMHO

Blog Entries
    You're right, of course. The 403 ZZs and the 404 doesn't. The presser foot doesn't look just right. It's straighter and chunkier than other slant needles I have seen. I am anxious to sew with after it's clean though I don't need it at home.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
    You're right, of course. The 403 ZZs and the 404 doesn't. The presser foot doesn't look just right. It's straighter and chunkier than other slant needles I have seen. I am anxious to sew with after it's clean though I don't need it at home.
    Stick up a pic so we can know what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    Laura, you should join the vintage kenmore yahoo group. In the files in the group is a listing of what sort of cams go with which machine. Also, I would bet someone on there has a manual.
    Thank you! don't kniow why it didn't occur to me! Laura

Hey Folks- here's a machine I picked up on the way home from TOGA. Isn't it cute? It looks like the motor caught fire, because there is a scorch where the motor mount was. But, with the motor gone, you can see the "made in occupied Japan" label. Fun, huh? Laura Name:  cali machine.jpg
Views: 581
Size:  65.2 KB

That's really cute!

Blog Entries
    LOVE that Californian!!
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    Thanks Everyone for the good wishes.... I really do feel better already, (still a bit tired, but not bad!) and since I have more quilts to make and machines to use, I'm not ready to "check out" yet!!

The spousal unit is working on that "new" Redeye that he brought home...the guy he got it from had the lid and dropped it off the other day! YAY!!
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    What a cute paint job on the California machine! I love those flowers and the orange color.

The 404 is very dirty so it'll be a day a day or so until I can see if she's "Singer's finest straight machine". As a 301 fan, I have my doubts and I'm sure 201 fans feel the same way.

Blog Entries
    Those sure look like a Poppy field on that darling machine. How appropriate for a Californian (owner and machine).
    Please educate this old lady....what is a TOGA (presumably not the same type party as in my day)?

Blog Entries
    I'm going to try again to post the pic of the GKs working in my shop...
    Name:  041.JPG
Views: 233
Size:  130.4 KB
    what an attitude, Miss L!!!
    Then the Wilbur climbed up there and grabbed a Qtip to 'help'
    Name:  042.JPG
Views: 249
Size:  130.8 KB
    I couldn't get the pics to load the other day.
    As soon as I got the pics shot I had to move them so they wouldn't fall off.
    They all love my shop and fight over who gets to 'help'

I better look inside that machine to see if there are any Qtips hiding...
    Last edited by miriam; 09-23-2012 at 04:41 AM.

That's adorable.