Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1533 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 533 1033 1433 1483 1523 1532 1533 1534 1543 1583 1633 ... LastLast
Results 38,301 to 38,325 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

  1. #38301
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by katballou View Post
    Hello all,
    Newhere and I think it's great that you are helping people new to vintagemachines...I have always wanted one because I remember my grandmother using itto make all her quilts. That is until she broke down and bought an electricone.

    Anyway, I finally got one and I thought it was a really good deal because ofthe one's I have seen on the internet and how much those were and the conditionthey were in...WOW...

    My machine is a white and the last patent date is 1913 (I think) is in reallygood shape and I believe all the parts are there and I even got a box ofattachments...lucky me...

    Well thecabinet it came in is not so lucky to have survived the 100 years it’s beenaround…looks like someone had left it out where it could get moisture in the woodveneer and is cracked, peeling and moldy. My hubby has some veneer that looks like the same as what’s on themachine, but my question is…would it be better for the value of the machine tojust clean it up and fix it or are there just so many out there that I reallyshouldn’t worry about lowering the value of my machine?
    I haveno plans on selling it, I just want to put it in my sewing room and maybe tryto sew something on it (but not a whole quilt)
    Sorry,if this is a repeat question, but with almost 4000 posts I don’t have time togo through them all.
    Thanksfor any help and glad to be here.
    Kat
    Kat to answer your question, replace the veneer if you can! There are gobs of those vintage machines to be had. They are not worth much to most people, and a lot of antique stores won't even take them because they can't sell them in today's market - at least not for what they 'want' to list them for! The machines in nice cabinets are more desirable to most of the vintage machine buffs. The people here are all addicted to the vintage machines, but most of us re-finish our cabinets so the machine can be used! Besides, we all like a beautiful piece of furniture too!~

    Nancy

  2. #38302
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    Attachment 367286
    my poor little DGS be praying
    OMG Miriam! Wilbur is so adorable! Poor little guy! My heart goes out to you, his parents, everyone! Yes, we will be praying for Wilbur, but you are going to be needed to keep his Dr's on their toes! I don't know how assertive your daughter is, but I know you can stay on top of this. Wilbur is going to need someone to really stand up to the system and keep those Dr's motivated!

    Nancy

  3. #38303
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
    Well, at the risk of muddying the waters .... there was a fiddle bed version of the 15, not the 115 (it's too "new")
    You can see the 15 FB here:
    http://thevintageseamstress.blogspot...d-tonight.html
    http://www.sewmuse.co.uk/singer%20improved%20family.htm

    Gorgeous. I'd love to see one in person, better yet, get my grubby paws on one... They're rare rare rare though from what I can tell. Even google showed me only a couple of pictures.
    Tammi, thank you for the link! Yes, the 15 was produced starting in about 1895 to 1957 - it was around a very long time!

    Nancy

  4. #38304
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    6
    Thank you Nancy, that was what I was wanting to hear. Most of the wood on my cabinet is good, just needs cleaning but the top is bad because veneer never holds up well in damp conditions.

    Prayers for Wilbur

  5. #38305
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by katballou View Post
    Thank you Nancy, that was what I was wanting to hear. Most of the wood on my cabinet is good, just needs cleaning but the top is bad because veneer never holds up well in damp conditions.

    Prayers for Wilbur
    Yes, most of us have had to deal with missing or loose veneer. Sometimes, you get lucky and can just re-glue the veneer down. Most of the time, though, the veneer has to be replaced. We have a guru here on re-finshings cabinets. Go to this link under the Tutorial section. http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...ts-t97670.html

    If you have any questions, Glenn (Skip) is a really nice guy who will help you!

    Nancy
    Last edited by BoJangles; 10-03-2012 at 05:25 AM.

  6. #38306
    Super Member J Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    8,105
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    I've got one almost exactly like that. I sure didn't get as good a buy as that one would be though.

    Joe

  7. #38307
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    I've got one almost exactly like that. I sure didn't get as good a buy as that one would be though.

    Joe
    Joe, that machine looks great too! Even the cabinet looks like it is in great shape!

    Nancy

  8. #38308
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Geeze, I'd love to have this treadle! http://goldcountry.craigslist.org/atq/3275774027.html

    Unfortunately, it is priced too high for my blood!

    Nancy

  9. #38309
    Senior Member pinkCastleDH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    457
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
    Geeze, I'd love to have this treadle! http://goldcountry.craigslist.org/atq/3275774027.html

    Unfortunately, it is priced too high for my blood!

    Nancy
    Nancy, here's the one I'd love to get: http://www.ebay.com/itm/120994050359 Interesting shipping method, too.

    Probably not as sought after by collectors but beautiful and of course I love the cabinet. Every time I mention it, though, Herself starts to blather on about money. Some people - you'd think money doesn't grow on trees

  10. #38310
    Super Member J Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    8,105
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
    Joe, that machine looks great too! Even the cabinet looks like it is in great shape!

    Nancy
    Nancy,

    We picked ours up in Terre Haute, IN and paid way more than that. No instruction manual, and no goodie box either. Plus the cabinet had been water damaged on the bottom and was literally falling apart. I rebuilt it and just need to finish the refinishing of the bottom parts. Looks pretty good for a first time ameture job.

    We sent the link for this one to my SIL in Ft. Wayne, IN. She's been looking for a treadle machine that uses standard needles and accessories.

    Joe

  11. #38311
    Super Member J Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    8,105
    Miriam,

    Wilbur will be in our thoughts and prayers. Joe
    Last edited by sharon b; 10-03-2012 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Removed political reference

  12. #38312
    Senior Member grayhare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    330
    Hi everyone,
    I just picked up a 99K, not bad, but the clear coat has problems, kind of looks like alligator skin in parts? Came in a cabinet, which I figured out was a blonde cabinet, the top was sanded, and stained but it did not end up nice. On the legs it looks like the stain/finish, is just flaking off. I will take pictures later today.
    I am curious what other ways are there to finish a cabinet, that look good?
    I was doing a search and found different ideas, has anyone tried something like this?
    http://offbeathome.com/2011/03/sewing-machine-desk
    Anamaria

  13. #38313
    Super Member J Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    8,105
    Quote Originally Posted by katballou View Post
    Hello all,
    Newhere and I think it's great that you are helping people new to vintagemachines...I have always wanted one because I remember my grandmother using itto make all her quilts. That is until she broke down and bought an electricone.

    Anyway, I finally got one and I thought it was a really good deal because ofthe one's I have seen on the internet and how much those were and the conditionthey were in...WOW...

    My machine is a white and the last patent date is 1913 (I think) is in reallygood shape and I believe all the parts are there and I even got a box ofattachments...lucky me...

    Well thecabinet it came in is not so lucky to have survived the 100 years it’s beenaround…looks like someone had left it out where it could get moisture in the woodveneer and is cracked, peeling and moldy. My hubby has some veneer that looks like the same as what’s on themachine, but my question is…would it be better for the value of the machine tojust clean it up and fix it or are there just so many out there that I reallyshouldn’t worry about lowering the value of my machine?
    I haveno plans on selling it, I just want to put it in my sewing room and maybe tryto sew something on it (but not a whole quilt)
    Sorry,if this is a repeat question, but with almost 4000 posts I don’t have time togo through them all.
    Thanksfor any help and glad to be here.
    Kat
    Kat,

    If you are buying that machine for yourself forget the financial value. Other than insurance it's really just a waste of time worrying about it. When repairing the wood, you have a lot of leeway to work with. Last June my SIL in Indiana gave me a Singer treadle machine and cabinet. Whoever gave it to her had used it for an aquarium stand. The veneer on the hinged top cover was falling off, the ends of the cabinet were separating from the wood underneath and cracking as well.
    I used a hack saw blade and worked Elmer's Wood Glue Max between the separated areas then clamped them down real good. I was able to save the deck of the cabinet.
    There were also many other places where the veneer was separating from the wood beneath. Those I put back together with a plastic credit card used to push the glue between the layers and clamps. Clamps are your friend.

    I decided to replace the veneer on the hinged top lid rather than repair it. I believe that was a mistake in this instance. Had I simply glued it back down I could have sanded it and filled in the few missing pieces and the end results would have been no worse than the veneer I used. Possibly better.

    I wasn't trying to "restore" the cabinet, but to refurbish it back to functional condition while still retaining it's old appearance.

    I think I succeeded for the most part. As soon as I'm finished I'll post a thread on it.

    Joe

  14. #38314
    Senior Member grayhare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    330
    Here is another idea,
    http://www.twotwenty-one.com/2012/01...-makeover.html
    And I think this would work for a cabinet too.
    http://www.centsationalgirl.com/2011...-peacock-blue/
    What do you all think of painting a cabinet?? I wouldn't do this to my parlor cabinet! But, maybe would be a good option for a basic cabinet?

  15. #38315
    Senior Member pinkCastleDH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    457
    Quote Originally Posted by grayhare View Post
    What do you all think of painting a cabinet?? I wouldn't do this to my parlor cabinet! But, maybe would be a good option for a basic cabinet?
    Blasphemy! Blasphemy I tell you!

    I suppose they could look pretty nice, though I personally wouldn't do it unless we move. One of the things that drew us to our current house was that most of the woodwork had never been painted. If I lived in a modern house I'd probably consider it.

  16. #38316
    Senior Member grayhare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    330
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkCastleDH View Post
    Blasphemy! Blasphemy I tell you!

    I suppose they could look pretty nice, though I personally wouldn't do it unless we move. One of the things that drew us to our current house was that most of the woodwork had never been painted. If I lived in a modern house I'd probably consider it.
    Yes, I know that is what I was thinking (Blasphemy!) Just trying to figure out an option for this new cabinet, it is so cute, simple and small. I wanted to stick with water based products, and my experience level with stripping is zero.

  17. #38317
    Senior Member pinkCastleDH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    457
    Quote Originally Posted by grayhare View Post
    Yes, I know that is what I was thinking (Blasphemy!) Just trying to figure out an option for this new cabinet, it is so cute, simple and small. I wanted to stick with water based products, and my experience level with stripping is zero.
    I've had way too much experience stripping paint (and some varnish). It's not really terribly difficult but the only things I've found that really do the job are caustics based or methylene chloride based. The first will degrade wood - lye is used in the pulping process to break down wood fiber when making paper - the last off-gasses carbon monoxide. I usually end up using the methylene chloride ones and just do it outside (not in the garage - outside) and leave the area while it's working. I've had good luck putting plastic wrap (Saranwrap) over it to keep it from drying out too quickly since the longer it's liquid the longer it works.

    As for finishing products, I'd suggest shellac. The solvent is just alcohol and it doesn't contain any heavy metal drying agents.
    Last edited by pinkCastleDH; 10-03-2012 at 07:15 AM. Reason: addition

  18. #38318
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    6
    Thanks Joe, I should have posted pictures first, but here it is and I don't have one showing the worst part of the top and you can see there is some missing on the part that move when you raise the machine and I am not worried about that because it isn't falling off. might just do some sanding to even it out there. When I open the top it is good there. It's just the part you see when the machine is closed. By the way I don't plan on having the machine closed very much. The main reason to have one of these is to be able to see the machine.



    The machine needs a little cleaning and a belt and that is all. The needle goes up and down very smooth and that surpises me because of the damange on the top. I would have thought it would have rusted and been stuck, must be because of all the oil they needed to add to these machines back in the day. In the picture you can't see the plate because I had already started to clean the machine and was working on the bobbin area.


  19. #38319
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    sf bay area, california
    Posts
    93
    Hi Anamaria,

    Quote Originally Posted by grayhare View Post
    What do you all think of painting a cabinet?? I wouldn't do this to my parlor cabinet! But, maybe would be a good option for a basic cabinet?
    One trouble with painting a cabinet is that after a few years' wear and tear it will look a lot worse than if it had been left unpainted. Have you tried using 'restoration' rather than 'refinishing' methods? The Treadle On standard approach is to clean with something like Murphy's Oil Soap, touch up the scratches with Old English polish with stain, then use Howard's Restor-a-Finish to even out the old finish. Then wax (e.g., with Howard's Feed-n-Wax or whatever it's called). This will usually make a cabinet, etc. look a LOT better without erasing its history. JMHO.

    pat

  20. #38320
    Senior Member grayhare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    330
    Quote Originally Posted by pfroggg View Post
    Hi Anamaria,


    One trouble with painting a cabinet is that after a few years' wear and tear it will look a lot worse than if it had been left unpainted. Have you tried using 'restoration' rather than 'refinishing' methods? The Treadle On standard approach is to clean with something like Murphy's Oil Soap, touch up the scratches with Old English polish with stain, then use Howard's Restor-a-Finish to even out the old finish. Then wax (e.g., with Howard's Feed-n-Wax or whatever it's called). This will usually make a cabinet, etc. look a LOT better without erasing its history. JMHO.

    pat
    Hi Pat,
    Yes, I have seen the 'restoration' method on Treadle On. I think that is what i am going to try on my Parlor cabinet.
    But, this new cabinet, which was a Blonde wood cabinet, has been stained, and the finish is coming off the cabinet legs which were not sanded before staining. The top part of the cabinet the stain is not even, looks like it soaked in, in spots, and some areas are rough and smooth?? So, was trying to see what would work for it without stripping it. Thank you
    Anamaria

  21. #38321
    Super Member irishrose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Cadillac, MI
    Posts
    6,583
    Blog Entries
    19
    That blonde finish from the 50s and 60s was a paint process, so the wood underneath isn't likely to be a premium product. I would try sanding the old paint off first. If that didn't work, then go with a non toxic stripper. You don't need bare wood, just smooth, to paint. I prefer a brush to spray. How fun to be able to choose a color. White doesn't do it for me unless you add flowers or a quilt pattern like Charlee has done. Shiny black is always an option or there are the faux finishes. Red sponged over black is lovely. I have cream wood grain over aqua in my bedroom. The possibilities are endless.

  22. #38322
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    sf bay area, california
    Posts
    93
    Quote Originally Posted by grayhare View Post
    Hi Pat,
    Yes, I have seen the 'restoration' method on Treadle On. I think that is what i am going to try on my Parlor cabinet.
    But, this new cabinet, which was a Blonde wood cabinet, has been stained, and the finish is coming off the cabinet legs which were not sanded before staining. The top part of the cabinet the stain is not even, looks like it soaked in, in spots, and some areas are rough and smooth?? So, was trying to see what would work for it without stripping it. Thank you
    Anamaria
    Sorry, Anamaria, I forgot what you were working with! I'm not sure what I would do to a blond cabinet, especially one that had been restained. Sand again and apply a darker stain? Maybe use a 'gel' stain? This might cover the abuse, and you could probably paint over it if you didn't like the result. Just a thought.

    http://www.woodmagazine.com/material...stains/?page=2

    Painting would probably not hurt this cabinet, though, if that is a look that you like.

    pat

  23. #38323
    Senior Member grayhare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    330
    Thank you Irishrose, cream wood grain over aqua, sounds pretty!
    Pat, thank you for the info. on gel stain.
    I will first try sanding the cabinet and see what i find.
    Anamaria

  24. #38324
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    394
    http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ws...269386850.html

    This is an ad for a Davis sewing machine. "
    Antique Davis Sewing machine.

    I have some, not sure if all, of the hardware that goes with it when it was attached to a table.

    Still cranks, but no idea of working order.

    This is about all I know about it."


    Poor thing.

  25. #38325
    Super Member JudyTheSewer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Sparks, NV
    Posts
    1,225
    Miriam, I am so sorry to hear the news of your DGS. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your DGS and all of the family.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.