Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-23-2011, 10:25 AM

Rinse and dry. There are instructions on the jug.
Originally Posted by Bennett
Question about the Evaporust--do you put anything on the parts to protect them afterward? I'm thinking flat pieces would be easy to polish, but I think I might really go nuts if I had to polish a ruffler. :)
Old 07-23-2011, 10:27 AM

Each machine had it's own size/shape shuttle and bobbin. Some will fit in more than one type of machine, but some need a specific one. I have had Singer shuttles fit in several different VS machines.
Originally Posted by miriam
Are the bullet shaped shuttles made to go on just one machine or can one from an old bag of parts fit?
Old 07-23-2011, 10:30 AM

Picture #4 looks like it fits with the bias binder in #5, and the last two attachments in #5 look to be bed fixing attachments. Although I could be wrong. . .
Originally Posted by MrsBoats
I picked up a gallon ziploc bag of misc sewing stuff at my favorite thrift shop the other day, and now I've got some mystery feet I'm hoping the hive mind can help me ID.

Also, as you can see, some of them are rusty, or otherwise dirty? What's a good way of cleaning them?
Old 07-23-2011, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
I have been eye-balling a 301 at my local SMRshop, just can't swing right now. But, I will get one.
Can you put it on layaway? Kathie[/quote]

I wished that I could, Kathie, or it would be done. They have been doing business for a hundred years ago here, they don't have to lower their standards for little ole me. But, I'll get one. I finally purchase a FW from GA. I'll get a big sistra, also.
Old 07-23-2011, 11:27 AM

They may have just googled the name of the machine and hopefully are not actual members of the board. There isn't a lot of info about this Richmond sewing machine as I found doing my research. I get that these photos of mine weren't copyrighted or anything and I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt that they were just looking for a picture like their machine. But it's very misleading to say these are "before" pictures of their machine. And like most situations in life they could have at least asked first! And if they are members they will see these posts...

Treadlep

Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by Bennett
Originally Posted by treadlep
Bennett: I'm not sure those folks with the CL listing for the well-used Richmond treadle are all that honest. Their "before" pictures are my exact Richmond treadle sitting in my exact living room in CA, as posted exactly on page 983 on this thread. I was gobsmacked to open that ad---and then not very happy at all!

Treadlep
Dang! I did think it was a little weird they didn't have after pictures. I would be angry too. I went back and flagged it.
it's still there - I would be upset - even more upsetting it was from somebody on the Quilting Board...
Old 07-23-2011, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by AbbyQuilts
I am thinking about selling some of my machines. Would anyone here be interested in sewing machine heads.
I have a 66-1 red eye (but it has an electric hand wheel)
and a singer 27 with 2 bobbins and a shuttle

Neither are in a base I am just out of room and I think I have found my machines i use all the time.

Also for those of you who have shipped sewing heads approximately how much does it run.

I just dont know if I should sell them here or list them on craigslist. I would rather they be sold to someone appreciates vintage machines.
Do people just buy machine heads?
One of the things about shipping old sewing machines is that they have to be packed very,very well as cast iron is fragile and rather heavy. It can cost about $35-60 to ship a machine head. I'd like to see pictures of your machines.
Sharon W.
Old 07-23-2011, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Originally Posted by jljack
Speaking of quilts finished on vintage machines, we had a sew-in at guild meeting yesterday and did a Jelly Roll Race. I took my 301a with me, and guess what....we WON the Jelly Roll Race. There were lots of high $$$ modern machines and about 6 FWs there too, but me and Ida took the prize!!! WooHoo!! Who says 60 years is old? Ida and I were both "born" in 1951. :-) I was so pleased that she did so well....she just purred along!!
Congratulations!

Isn't it amazing just how fast 301 sew? I can't get over it. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Congratulations on winning the race.
Its almost scary how fast a 301 sews. lol I do love my black 301 short bed. I finally got it all cleaned up and oiled enough that she sews like the wind now.
:-D
Old 07-23-2011, 11:49 AM

I'm in need of a shuttle for the bobbin on a Singer 27 treadle. Any ideas where I might find one or who I might contact. I want to make sure I'm calling it the right thing....it's the bullet shaped holder for the bobbin. Thank you in advance for the help.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:07 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sew wishful
I'm in need of a shuttle for the bobbin on a Singer 27 treadle. Any ideas where I might find one or who I might contact. I want to make sure I'm calling it the right thing....it's the bullet shaped holder for the bobbin. Thank you in advance for the help.
I have shuttles to get gone but I sure don't know what they are from.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by sew wishful
Here's a Wiki page to help you decide! :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singer_Model_27_and_127