Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-16-2011, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Lori Peercy
Can anyone tell me how old this machine is?
Looks like a Singer 15 clone. It was branded Kenmore. It could have been made from the 30's- all the way to the late 50's.
Old 07-16-2011, 05:09 PM

Charlee I just read for the first time about dust(others call it patina) My wife tell guest not to worry about the dust because it is always free and if you have a problem with it here is a rag... :lol:
Glenn
Old 07-16-2011, 05:11 PM
Power Poster

I have just got to stay OFF CL... I have GOT to stay OFF CL... I SSSSOOOOOOOO have GOT to stay OFF CL... I am weak, I have no resolve... I found a Singer 503 I just had to buy... and told my enabler sister about it. She talked me into seeing if they would take less money. She even called the people and got a REALLY good price. Then conned me into calling them and "picking it up for her..." but really, it will be mine on Monday - well, I think so anyway... DH just shrugs, rolls his eyes and says it's a good investment. What ever. I guess we haven't run out of room yet.

That Singer 241 is still on the back porch - the guy that wanted it never showed up. I doubt it anybody could throw it through the window and break in... Maybe they would steal it... Anyway, I worked on it this afternoon to no avail. The thread loops half way around then seriously hangs up and I haven't found out where - I guess I need to tilt it back and look under while turning it... It's so heavy it would make a boat anchor for a cruise ship... It also has a tension spring back in it's belly that is strung backwards... I had to cross thread it so it works at all... Right now it's just the stupid shuttle that is wrong with it. I'm also thinking it has the wrong bobbin shuttle in it but the upper thread hangs up on that shuttle even when there isn't a bobbin in there. Could it be the tension is too messed up for it to work right? I haven't found any burrs - I may need to get a magnifying glass & some floss and go at it. I'm not real sure how to get the tension out of it's belly - I have one I think might fit. I took the rest of the tension off and cleaned it up - it had a lot of dried up oil.
Old 07-16-2011, 05:12 PM

I got this today at a yard sale for $1.00, the woman wanted to get rid of it. I brought it home and played with it, it runs great, had a little noise at first then I oiled it and cleaned it out works great now and no more noise. I love this SM. It's a 1959 185K SN EN975663. It has all the attachments, the only thing its missing is the manuel. I have looked on the internet to find one but couldn't. Could someone give me a link for it. Thank you in advance.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-227470.jpe  
Old 07-16-2011, 05:15 PM
Power Poster

I have it's cousin - it's a Commander by Sears. Works good. I thought it was from the 1940's but I think mine is really from the 1950s.
Old 07-16-2011, 05:19 PM

Miz Johnny, I was trying hard to keep it's antiqueness (a word?) but would be open to put a regular foot pedal on it. I think it can be done. Or I could put a handcrank. In that instance, do you just take off the motor?

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
I'm not sure I really understand this, but if you're saying that the connectors themselves fell off and you can't reattach them, you don't really need the connectors--the wires can just be wrapped around the posts and will make the connection.

That being said, I have never tried to rewire a knee lever controller. Most of the ones I find with a knee bar are in very sad shape, I have found just one that was in good condition, and I left it alone. The others get converted to HC. It just didn't appear to be a good design.
Originally Posted by Nanamoms
Now I've never done anything like this before. As posted in various places, I have a Singer 126 and a Singer 128. After taking off the plate where the power cord attached, I can see a difference in the way the knee control "motor" is wired. Ok, next I took the a plate off the motor of the 128 (parts) to see how is was wired. Well, it was a little different but not too much. After doing all this, I discovered that I didn't have to take the cover off the 128 at all. The power cord simply screws into 2 connectors on the right hand side plate. My problem is that I don't a way to take the connectors from the parts machine and attached them to the good machine. When I tried to remove the "plug" the wire just fell apart in my hand and I can't see a way to re-attach the wire.

Should I just give up and take it to my service guy???????

I so wanted to be a "good sewing machine mechanic". :(
Old 07-16-2011, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by SnowQuilt
I got this today at a yard sale for $1.00, the woman wanted to get rid of it. I brought it home and played with it, it runs great, had a little noise at first then I oiled it and cleaned it out works great now and no more noise. I love this SM. It's a 1959 185K SN EN975663. It has all the attachments, the only thing its missing is the manuel. I have looked on the internet to find one but couldn't. Could someone give me a link for it. Thank you in advance.
Here you go:

http://www.singerco.com/accessories/...manuals/search
Old 07-16-2011, 05:37 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Charlee
Here you go:

I searched for a free one to no avail.
Old 07-16-2011, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by Charlee
Here you go:

I searched for a free one to no avail.

Here it is, it is the second one down
edit: ( I realize now that the link didnt follow through to the search. If you put in the search 185k then it will bring it up)

or you can download it from right here
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Attachment-227509.pdf (7.51 MB, 150 views)
Old 07-16-2011, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by miriam
I have it's cousin - it's a Commander by Sears. Works good. I thought it was from the 1940's but I think mine is really from the 1950s.
Is there somewhere to find out the year like you can with Singer?