Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-16-2011, 01:03 PM

Hang in there Nana...Billy will be along sooner or later and I'm betting he can help you...
Miz Johnny also seems to me to be a pretty good SMG! (Sewing Machine Gal ;) )
Old 07-16-2011, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by AbbyQuilts
A future treadler on our hands!! She is only 5 but she treadled beautifully see video here
http://youtu.be/Vrmds-bDFWU

here is here picture. I am so proud I could burst!
Abby, I know that it's probably been said thousand of times by now but, this is an awesome video of that this brillant young lady. Continue on with this beauty. I truely enjoyed it.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
Kathy, I've used WD40 to remove sticky things from a lot of nice things. Just do a test spot with a qtip. Also have used GooGone but it smells worse than WD40. WD40 is like a miracle drug!! :)

You guys have come up with a lot of wonderful ideas. Thank
you. Kathie
pure citrus orange air freshener for glue removal or dryer.
Lowes employees told my son they tried every thing in the store to remove sticker and tape glue. This is the best they found. Spray it on and leave it for a few minutes. Then whip it off, but you have to “let it work its thing”. I used it on a FW table to remove a long time sticker after removing the top of the sticker. I also removed gum from the leg of my pants with it, took it all off. You better like the orange smell, use sparely.
Idea,I may use it for the kerosens smell. :hunf:
Old 07-16-2011, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Phyllis nm
Originally Posted by Kathie S.
Kathy, I've used WD40 to remove sticky things from a lot of nice things. Just do a test spot with a qtip. Also have used GooGone but it smells worse than WD40. WD40 is like a miracle drug!! :)

You guys have come up with a lot of wonderful ideas. Thank
you. Kathie
pure citrus orange air freshener for glue removal or dryer.
Lowes employees told my son they tried every thing in the store to remove sticker and tape glue. This is the best they found. Spray it on and leave it for a few minutes. Then whip it off, but you have to “let it work its thing”. I used it on a FW table to remove a long time sticker after removing the top of the sticker. I also removed gum from the leg of my pants with it, took it all off. You better like the orange smell, use sparely.
Idea,I may use it for the kerosens smell. :hunf:
Pretty acidic...I'd be careful with decals!
Old 07-16-2011, 02:34 PM

Ok my techie friends...I got this 28K today, and I have the tension adjusted, but I've got one remaining problem that I haven't been able to find in web searches (yet, I'm still trying).

The "stop action" knob doesn't "stop action"!! At either end of the turn or parts between, the needle still moves up and down.
Any suggestions as to what needs adjusted or fixed?
Old 07-16-2011, 04:06 PM

I'm not sure I really understand this, but if you're saying that the connectors themselves fell off and you can't reattach them, you don't really need the connectors--the wires can just be wrapped around the posts and will make the connection.

That being said, I have never tried to rewire a knee lever controller. Most of the ones I find with a knee bar are in very sad shape, I have found just one that was in good condition, and I left it alone. The others get converted to HC. It just didn't appear to be a good design.
Originally Posted by Nanamoms
Now I've never done anything like this before. As posted in various places, I have a Singer 126 and a Singer 128. After taking off the plate where the power cord attached, I can see a difference in the way the knee control "motor" is wired. Ok, next I took the a plate off the motor of the 128 (parts) to see how is was wired. Well, it was a little different but not too much. After doing all this, I discovered that I didn't have to take the cover off the 128 at all. The power cord simply screws into 2 connectors on the right hand side plate. My problem is that I don't a way to take the connectors from the parts machine and attached them to the good machine. When I tried to remove the "plug" the wire just fell apart in my hand and I can't see a way to re-attach the wire.

Should I just give up and take it to my service guy???????

I so wanted to be a "good sewing machine mechanic". :(
Old 07-16-2011, 04:07 PM

I loved the look on her face when she first started the machine going!!
Originally Posted by cherrybsixty
A future treadler on our hands!! She is only 5 but she treadled beautifully see video here

Abby, I know that it's probably been said thousand of times by now but, this is an awesome video of that this brillant young lady. Continue on with this beauty. I truely enjoyed it.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:11 PM

I've had this happen a bajillion (only a slight exaggeration) times. First thing to try is to remove the handwheel and clean both the shaft and inside of the wheel thoroughly, put a drop of oil on the shaft and then reassemble, making sure the prongs on the stop washer are pointing out. If the first position doesn't work, keep rotating the stop washer around and trying it again. Sometimes it takes a while to get it right. You might also need a replacement stop washer. At that point, I ususally just give up, because I'm just that way!

Originally Posted by Charlee
Ok my techie friends...I got this 28K today, and I have the tension adjusted, but I've got one remaining problem that I haven't been able to find in web searches (yet, I'm still trying).

The "stop action" knob doesn't "stop action"!! At either end of the turn or parts between, the needle still moves up and down.
Any suggestions as to what needs adjusted or fixed?
Old 07-16-2011, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
I loved the look on her face when she first started the machine going!!
Originally Posted by cherrybsixty

Wasn't that precious?
Abby, I enjoyed her too! :)
Old 07-16-2011, 04:48 PM

Can anyone tell me how old this machine is?
Attached Thumbnails attachment-227456.jpe   attachment-227457.jpe