Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 01-09-2012, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by pennijanine View Post
So would that make my machine possibly newer than 1965? Cathy, thanks for your help... No wonder I couldn't find the date!

My book has the copyright date of 1964.
Pennijanine, the white FW's were only made in the 60's so it is safe to say your white FW is anywhere between 1962 and 1970! I am going to do some research in the book on the FW. If I remember right, the Whites were started in 1962 and the last one was made in 1970.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
MY "white" featherweight is also a EY series and my original instruction book also has a copyright of 1964.. Your serial number is less than 1400 before from mine. I bought mine new on 5-2-1969. Singer stores were closing them out at a price of $88.00. Boy do I wish I had bought all of them at that price. <GG> This may be of interest: I paid $88.00 + $4.40 in taxes. Paid $12.40 down and paid $5.00 a month on "MY 1 to 36 Credit Plan Account with the Singer Company" with my mother co-signing.

From all that I have read and heard over the years, I suspect that these late serial number machines sat in a warehouse and didn't sell. So Singer unloaded them at clearance prices. Therefore, the date of mfg was after June 1965 (the EX series)and before May 1969 (my dated machine).

Cathy
Cathy that is so cool that you still have the machine! This must be the way Nancy Johnson-Srebro figured out a dating list? From people like you who had the machine and the original paperwork! I hope you always keep that special white FW!

Nancy
Old 01-09-2012, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Cathy that is so cool that you still have the machine! This must be the way Nancy Johnson-Srebro figured out a dating list? From people like you who had the machine and the original paperwork! I hope you always keep that special white FW!

Nancy
Nancy,

You bet! That machine is not going anywhere. That is my baby.
Of course I have about another 50 or 60 babies. <VBG>

Cathy
Old 01-09-2012, 07:04 PM

Nancy,

You bet! That machine is not going anywhere. That is my baby.
Of course I have about another 50 or 60 babies. <VBG>

Cathy
HUMMMMMMMMMM? Well, I hope your count goes down by one Mocha machine! LOL!!!!!!

Nancy
Old 01-09-2012, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
HUMMMMMMMMMM? Well, I hope your count goes down by one Mocha machine! LOL!!!!!!

Nancy
Nancy,

Nope, as another mocha came home yesterday. They just follow me home (my story and I'm sticking to it.)
I, however, have started working on your mocha.

Cathy
Old 01-09-2012, 07:12 PM

Any guesses as to what Singer this is? The table looks a lot like a FW table, but the FW tables don't have the extension leaf? Could it be a 301? I sent the owner an e-mail asking for a picture of the machine!

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/fuo/2792010857.html

Nancy

Ok going back and looking I see the table was hand made, probably by the owner of the machine. Interesting? I called too, but no answer! I am curious as the case looks to be in good shape, but might be for a newer - not vintage machine?

Last edited by BoJangles; 01-09-2012 at 07:18 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:19 PM

Nancy,

Nope, as another mocha came home yesterday. They just follow me home (my story and I'm sticking to it.)
I, however, have started working on your mocha.

Cathy
That is exciting news!

Nancy
Old 01-09-2012, 07:20 PM

Nancy, looking at the case, I don't believe it is a 301. And that table is homemade. Looks very sturdy though.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:29 PM

Default Free #5

Looked at at Free #5 treadle this past Saturday. I am interested but no manual and only one shuttle. Lady couldn't tell me much about it. I loved the cabinet it was in. Does the Free take the long Boye needles or regular ones and how difficult it is to find extra/different feet for it? DH says I can buy it if she still has it the next time I'm in her town. ~ Chris
Old 01-09-2012, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts View Post
Looked at at Free #5 treadle this past Saturday. I am interested but no manual and only one shuttle. Lady couldn't tell me much about it. I loved the cabinet it was in. Does the Free take the long Boye needles or regular ones and how difficult it is to find extra/different feet for it? DH says I can buy it if she still has it the next time I'm in her town. ~ Chris
Chris several of us on the board have a Free # 5. They take a regular 15x1 needle.

Nancy
Attached Thumbnails free-5-1913-open-cabinet.jpg