Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 01-14-2012, 08:50 AM

Donja just love these old girls. My Sarah, 1941 15-30, started making a noise when I first stepped on the gas. Whizzrrr as if the belt was slipping. Well, new belt when I get a little cash. Except some thread accidently wound around the small wheel. And the noise stopped. Guess the thread helps the old belt get traction. They even repair themselves.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by redmadder View Post
Donja just love these old girls. My Sarah, 1941 15-30. . . They even repair themselves.
That's funny!
Old 01-14-2012, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by sew wishful View Post
I've been working on the New Home and can not get it to sew well. I have the tension fixed (it was bent),have it now threaded right, and it sewed a couple inches well, then I began messing with the stitch length setting, and now it isn't sewing at all....gobs of thread on the under side, thread breaking...GRRRRR!!!! I have to quit for awhile.
Randa, I'd say you need to 'mess with the stitch length setting' again and get it back to where you were when it was stitching! Remember, all the trouble I had when I started using my Davis Vertical Feed? It took me two months and I was ready to throw that machine out the window, when I finally got it right! It was the stitch regulator knob all the time, I just kept moving it ever so slightly until it finally stitched! I think Glenn went through the same thing with his Davis? I know you are working with a New Home, but don't give up. Maybe, Cathy will have some words of wisdom for you. My words of wisdom are, keep trying! You'll get it right eventually - sometimes these old machines just need some encouragement and patience!

Nancy
Old 01-14-2012, 06:17 PM

Randa,

Thread gobs on the underside are almost always due to a tension problem before the needle. After threading the needle pull on the thread as it exits the needle. You should see the needle deflect slightly in the direction that you are pulling. Try this and get back to us.

Cathy
Old 01-14-2012, 06:21 PM

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I just had to do that on 2 machines and my 319 needs it. There is a set screw somewhere - I don't have a 301 but it is likely to the right in the body of the head. You can turn loose and then move the tension. I found helpful info here - nice to have expert help to refer to.... http://www.tfsr.org/publications/tec...achine_manual/ then look at tension mechanism. There are only a few ways those can go... You may have info in your user's manual... http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_...ine-manual.pdf but it is only the owners manual...

Miriam, it has taken all this time to have the confidence to do this!! You were right. It was an easy fix but I was afraid I would mess up the stitching some how. This machine has a beautiful and perfect stitch. It still does after I made the adjustment. Thank you so very much!
Old 01-15-2012, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Randa, I'd say you need to 'mess with the stitch length setting' again and get it back to where you were when it was stitching! Remember, all the trouble I had when I started using my Davis Vertical Feed? It took me two months and I was ready to throw that machine out the window, when I finally got it right! It was the stitch regulator knob all the time, I just kept moving it ever so slightly until it finally stitched! I think Glenn went through the same thing with his Davis? I know you are working with a New Home, but don't give up. Maybe, Cathy will have some words of wisdom for you. My words of wisdom are, keep trying! You'll get it right eventually - sometimes these old machines just need some encouragement and patience!

Nancy

Nancy is right on the stitch regulator, I had the same problem but after hours of messing with with the regulator I got it right. I got the regulator to work properly but now that it is stitching good about 10 to 12 per inch I leave it alone.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:24 AM

Looks like my old Singer's are worth more than I thought:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VERY-RARE-Vi...#ht_627wt_1163
Old 01-15-2012, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by jlhmnj View Post
Looks like my old Singer's are worth more than I thought:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VERY-RARE-Vi...#ht_627wt_1163
Well sheese!! Considering it's rare, AND has "one of a kind decals"...
Old 01-15-2012, 11:51 AM

I may have to think about selling some of mine at this price. I did not realize I had a gold mine in Singer sewing machines.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
Randa,

Thread gobs on the underside are almost always due to a tension problem before the needle. After threading the needle pull on the thread as it exits the needle. You should see the needle deflect slightly in the direction that you are pulling. Try this and get back to us.

Cathy
When I pull thread through the needle it does deflect slightly. However, when I pull from the shuttle it pulls really really freely!! Could it possibly be due to a problem there? I will definitely keep working with the stitch length regulator, though, and I would like this to work also!! I'm pretty down with a cold and just don't have the energy to work on it right now...hopefully in a couple days I'll be back on top of it and ready to give this more time. Thanks for your help!