Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 12-27-2011, 07:08 AM

Miriam, did your stylist come with a foot peddle? We have a stylist that is in good shape but no foot peddle. They had two different types of plugs so if you have one you want to sell I'll send you a picture of what ours is suppose to look like. Thanks
Old 12-27-2011, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
key words for me 'several times'!!! Thanks.
I guess I should have explained that better!! Most people take Ray's class once or take the beginning and advanced and stop there. My girlfriend and I took the advanced several times as we would work on machines all year long, save up particularly difficult problems, and take them to the advanced classes to learn how to fix them. For instance, I learned to change the motor pulley in the early Elna Supers and the cam stack in the Viking 6000 series. (Not that I want to do it again, but I certainly learned how!) At the last class we took, Pam took her serger apart and fixed it.

Yes, Ray's classes are expensive, but if you fix one or two machines yourself, it's paid for itself.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Quilter7x View Post
What does Ray White teach? (I hope that isn't a dumb question!)
http://www.whitesewingcenter.com/repairclass.php
Old 12-27-2011, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
Question...why are you not supposed to sew on one of the cam machines (403-500A etc.) without a cam in the machine?
It's been explained to me, and I might not get the words exactly right, but basically it causes the cam follower arm to flop around and wear it out prematurely.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Candace, the 128 is in really nice shape!

Don't you have all the colors now of the 301s? Are they all the short bed, or are some of your 301's the long bed? The machine model I have the most of is the FW, but I don't have a tan one - only the white (light green) and the black ones. When you go for a particular model it is so nice to get all the colors in that model! I'm doing the happy dance for you! Now, you need to get all the colors in both the short bed and long bed! Wouldn't that be fun?

Nancy
Yes, I've got all the 301 colors now. I do have one longbed in the brown/mocha. The only one I don't have is the black longbed. But, now I've got 4 so I'm out of the hunt! They've all needed some sort of work, but I love them. I was using the 128 yesterday and I don't know if I can get use to the vibration(similar to my 99) and that it's one pretty loud machine. It's very neat to have, but I don't imagine I'll take it out to use it much after it gets put away. I do like the knee control on it, but it feels and sounds like I'm driving a dump truck while using it.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:30 AM

H-m-m. I've never sewn on my 128 except at the seller's house to make sure it worked, but I don't remember it being rough or noisy. I guess it's time to clean her up and check her out.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
If the Davis machines are not all vertical feed, how can you tell from a CL ad which ones do and which ones do not have VF?
I look at the picture of the foot, and sometimes on the side of the machine arm it also says Vertical Feed...except on the old ones, which only said Davis.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:23 PM

Default CL ads

Well for grins and giggles, I looked at CL today to see what bargains there were to be had. I found a "really neat old tredle" that needed some work and had sat since 1971. The seller said it was his granma's and just needed a new belt and oiling to get it running again - it was last used in 1970 he thought - but he wanted $150 for it. It was a Singer but so grimy couldn't tell much beyond that and I need to know what he was smoking so I could compare his drug of choice to the seller of the Minnesota A treadle that did come with a mighty nice cabinet but the asking price was $675. Most of the machines were extremely high priced today. One ad wanted $125 for a Singer with a curved lid (domed box) because the curved lids were so rare that the price alone was justified by that. The dome had a couple of holes and didn't lock but still it was rare so $125 is his asking price. What irritates me is the sellers who don't post pictures of the great looking machines that say they have. Okay, vent over!
Old 12-27-2011, 12:38 PM

Congratulations to all that had special machines show up under the tree this weekend. They all look wonderful. I am looking forward to see Charlee's special stitches with her rocketeer. And who can go wrong with a nice new FW to join the family. But I am so pleased that all has worked out with Miriam and here brood with new baby.

Thanks all for a wonderful year in the VSMS. I have learned so much and enjoy the conversations. I hope to turn some of my piles into wonderful working machines again this next year. Right now they are just lined up in the garage and have been very useful as stands to paint woodwork this last weekend. Hope to have it all nailed to the wall this weekend where it should be.

Last edited by quilt addict; 12-27-2011 at 12:43 PM.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny View Post
I guess I should have explained that better!! Most people take Ray's class once or take the beginning and advanced and stop there. My girlfriend and I took the advanced several times as we would work on machines all year long, save up particularly difficult problems, and take them to the advanced classes to learn how to fix them. For instance, I learned to change the motor pulley in the early Elna Supers and the cam stack in the Viking 6000 series. (Not that I want to do it again, but I certainly learned how!) At the last class we took, Pam took her serger apart and fixed it.

Yes, Ray's classes are expensive, but if you fix one or two machines yourself, it's paid for itself.
Thanks for this info. I've been looking at those, dreaming of an honest to goodness vacation at some point in the future. It's nice to get a positive endorsement. It also makes me wish I had the time and resources now.