Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-09-2011, 10:18 AM

So! We woke up bright and early this morning and did 1 AI (or worked at it, anyway) and headed to town to a sale.
$25 ... what do you think?
The kicker was when I got it home and set it up for its photo shoot (forgive the barn decor, but I put it there for awhile), I told hubby - - uh, you bought one of these for me about fifteen years ago! (led to a whole new discussion, but he and I both know it doesn't matter because I am sure I have saved the machine's life - - and, if I keep buying them, maybe one day I will own every one ever made ;-) <wave> I really need to learn how to research the dates on these things, eh? anyway, someday <g>

51-19
[ATTACH=CONFIG]223555[/ATTACH]

born on when?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]223556[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-223549.jpe   attachment-223550.jpe   attachment-223551.jpe  
Old 07-09-2011, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by greenini
Time to announce my new find and ask for help: we found a 15-91 in an antique store for $47, but it came with a cabinet, I'll post pictures. Now the problem. We are in NH and live in Ga and to get between the two we are camping out in our VW van with our cat Ray so have his litterbox on the floor.

To get to our friend's house in NH we just flipped it upside down machine and all. But that is going to be awkward all the way home as we will have to remove it when we are camping to get to the fridge and almost anything....

We looked at the cabinet and it looks very much like it could be disassembled (unscrewed) and then reassembled at home which would make getting it home an awful lot easier. We have a storage place over the cab where we could put it securely wrapped in several trash bags or even keep it in the van itself if we have to....

What cha alll think? Billy, ya got any ideas to offer?
LOL ... we just brought one home like it, and hubby (cabinetmaker-type) says the spindle legs aren't so great, so I ask "why not" ... and the legs screw off. and, looking at your pictures, I am going to run right out to the shop - - I didn't see that lever for holding the lid out as shown in your picture. Good deal! <wave>
Old 07-09-2011, 10:30 AM

Are you my twin??? I have that Kenmore machine, too! We get along really well. I have her at the Post (or, he as the case may be and depending on my mood.) Interesting story about how I happen to have that machine. It was purchased in the sixties (I believe) by my mother who gave it to my sister in law who was going to throw it away when it quit working.
I called on the phone and saved its life, not knowing where it came from or where it belonged, but I traded a working machine for the one she was going to throw away.
Took it to a repairman when it made its way across the state, and it works great ... have been using it at the Post for weekly workdays for at least two years. I didn't really know anything about it until a couple weeks ago, I decided to look at the owner's manual (the last thing I ever do! :oops: ) and DSIL had written the day she got it and from whom she received it. (My mother has only been wondering about where that machine went for the last fifteen years or so! LOL) ...
whatchya going to buy next, huh? I'll see if the West coast can keep up with the east! LOL <wave>
Old 07-09-2011, 10:39 AM

Omak, what's even funnier is I bought almost that exact machine too at a thrift store for about $15 for heavy duty sewing that I didn't want to wreck my Bernina...was kind of embarrassed they'd kept it for me as it came from a sister's estate and we're finding out they are finding out the sis really wasn't interested in family so they are kind of bummed about the whole thing!
Old 07-09-2011, 10:45 AM

Omak...love your machine..I looked it up for you and her birthday is April 5, 1932 and she was born in Elizabeth NJ! Enjoy her!

Also she is a model 15 and they only made 5000 of this model.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by missgigglewings
Omak...love your machine..I looked it up for you and her birthday is April 5, 1932 and she was born in Elizabeth NJ! Enjoy her!
Oh, isn't that wonderful! She was born a couple of months after my mother ... if I hadn't have bought her in July, I probably would have named her June after mother, but, sorry, Mom - - I am waiting until I find one born on your birthday or at least in the same month! That is just really neat. I thought she was made in the fifties - - silly me! One of these days, I will have to go upstairs and check out the one that hubby bought all those years ago. And, at the same time, we bought another one - - a small disagreement about which style of cabinet was preferred, so I told hubby - - it is either the chunky one that looks like me or BOTH of them - - we bought both of them! LOL
to think that when we bought them, I told him I didn't want no spindly legged cabinet around my enhanced style body! LOL <wave>
Old 07-09-2011, 10:50 AM

I have a singer kenmore machine in a table, model # 158.1831, serial # 0006880... I am unable to find a manuel for it, the book that came with the machine is for a different model, so it does not help me. I am trying to figure out how to get the needle into the center position, as it wants to sew in the left needle position. I am also having trouble with the tension, but I should be able to figure that out with a little more playing with it.

Please, can you tell me how old my machine is and where/how I can find a manuel for this particular machine?

Thanks!
Old 07-09-2011, 11:11 AM
Power Poster

I think I would be driving clear to GA with that perty thing somewhere. If the legs come off it sure would be easier. Pad the head real good and stash it anywhere you can.

Those old Kenmore's some of them are pretty good and some pretty much a boat anchor and you never know until you use them. I have a good one sitting on CL at the moment. It doesn't do a lot of fancy stuff but it seems like it would be a work horse. Looks like from the late 60s and early 70s to me. I'm still looking for a complete manual - my numbers don't come up quite right though. I found parts of a manual some where on line. I'm searching again.
Old 07-09-2011, 11:19 AM

Miriam, there is NO question about it not going to Ga, the question is how comfortably for the 3 of us! Dh, me and cat :D
Old 07-09-2011, 11:29 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by greenini
Miriam, there is NO question about it not going to Ga, the question is how comfortably for the 3 of us! Dh, me and cat :D
One time someone gave us a big bench when we were in Florida. We had it strapped on the roof. Well DH decided we did not need to drive from FL to IN with a stupid bench on the roof. grumble grumble grumble... SSSSOOOOOO we looked for a place to donate the bench. Have you ever tried to get rid of a bench? We drove through town after town - nada. So we got ready to turn off the highway and head toward I75 and there it was. There is a little real estate office on a corner all dolled up with red trim paint and a big empty porch... UM... nobody there... BUT, you got it we donated the bench anywho. DH and DS pulled it off the roof and marched up there with it and set it right on that porch like it was a delivery and installation. That has been 5 years ago or more... They must have liked it - it's still there. I don't recommend putting it on the roof even if it isn't January.